🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Story of a Game Engine Creator, Cold-hearted Epic Games MegaGrants, Unreal Marketplace Deletes Reviews

Started by
72 comments, last by Tom Sloper 2 years, 3 months ago

Lance_Dev said:
On the hidden UE4 Content Creators' forum, the other guy also opened a thread where he listed how you've been harassing him.

Harassing?? I've bought products, they had serious issues. I've asked for support. Instead of getting problems fixed he got rude and deleted products from where I've bought them. He uploaded fixes to another stores, but I never got them. I've paid money, got broken products with no fixes. And you're calling the other guy to be poor and I am harassing because I've shared my experiences in my review as a normal right for a customer? Sorry are you crazy? You have no idea what harassment is. I've shared my dissatisfaction, experiences and factual events in reviews. That's not harassment!

Advertisement

Most assets on the marketplace are imperfect in some way, since they're made by indies. This is implied. The problem is that most customers on the marketplace aren't developers, they're just people who got it into their head that they can cobble a few assets together, sell an asset flip on Steam and become millionaires. Then they encounter a problem: a “quest system” that they bought doesn't work with the “inventory system” that they bought. And there it begins: they start harassing the quest system author and the inventory system author to make them compatible, because they themselves can't. The emails are always like “I'M ON THE VERGE OF RELEASING MY SKYRIM KILLER, I JUST NEED THIS ONE LITTLE FEATURE. YOU'RE RUINING MY GAME! THE RELEASE DATE HAS ALREADY BEEN SET, HOW CAN YOU DO THIS TO ME!"
For some reason, your story sounds very similar.

An adequate reaction to a minor issue with an asset: open Maya and fix it yourself.
You can ask the seller to fix it - maybe he will, maybe he won't, but don't rely on it. Legally, he's not obliged to. Morally, it's debatable. If you got an asset for 80USD that's worth 7000USD making from scratch, maybe he's not morally obligated to anything, because his product already saved you $6920 of production costs. He likely doesn't make enough money from it to quit his day job.

An inadequate reaction to a minor issue with an asset: buy all of his products and post an angry rant under each one, then go to other sites and complain about Epic and Tim Sweeney.

An adequate reaction to a major issue with an asset: ask for a refund.

Nobody had an Odyssey-like story because an asset they bought didn't satisfy them.

When you spend a lot of money, buying products, and then you encounter big problems, you can't fix yourself, so asking developer for help. And instead of getting fixes, the developer blocks you, and uploads the fixes in another place. Then yes you get let down.

So you share it.

And then Epic company deletes your voice.

So you lose money, and can't even talk about it.

This is what's not fair!

So yes, I complain about it.

To me you sound totally like a developer that wants to do a bad job, and then make silly excuses in order to get away with it. I already know if I would ever buy anything from you, I couldn't count on any support from you. If I'd have a problem, I'd contact you, and your reply would be something about Skyrim, something about $6920 production costs, something about being an indie, and any problem I would have reported would remain broken as it is. If possible please let me know your Developer Name so I know to don't buy anything from you. Thanks!

If you want my advice, then how about you start treat your work and customers seriously, and if your products have problems then you do your best to fix them.

esenthel said:
and then you encounter big problems, you can't fix yourself

That's what I suspected.

Let me ask you this. How do you expect to make entire games, if you can't fix a small issue in Maya or pay a freelancer to do it? It's unrealistic. You can't make asset flips without retouching the assets yourself. The animations are often wonky after retargeting to a new skeleton. The skin weighs are bad in places, but it's visible only on some animation packs and not others. When you make a clothes system, you need to be able to cut your main character's mesh into body parts and modify the normals on the edge, then adapt the clothes, etc, etc. I could go on forever. A programmer needs to know Maya if he intends to release a game on his own, or he needs to have a freelancer available for small jobs.

Your approach of self-reliance without actual self-sufficiency has led you down this path where you've been in a state of war with a content creator for MONTHS. This isn't healthy.

Lance_Dev said:
How do you expect to make entire games, if you can't fix a small issue in Maya or pay a freelancer to do it?

I'm a developer for 20+ years, can do programming C++/Java/PHP/ASM, website building, audio editing, texture editing, 3d model editing.

I can fix small issues no problem. Like I said, that wasn't small issue. That was big problem only the dev could fix.

And he has fixed it eventually. But I never got the fix because he deleted the products.

Instead of being a good person/developer and sending me the fix, he simply blocked me and never replied to any message.

I've dealt with plenty of developers, and none of them did anything like this.

Lance_Dev said:
has led you down this path where you've been in a state of war with a content creator for MONTHS.

Sorry I don't know what you're talking about. What war? what months?

I had a bad experience so I shared it.

You have had a bad experience, ok, deal with it, the world continues to don't give a f*** , looks to me you are a kid crying to his mom becasue the world has been bad.

Programmer71 said:
You have had a bad experience, ok, deal with it, the world continues to don't give a f*** , looks to me you are a kid crying to his mom becasue the world has been bad.

Wow. Very mature mr Programmer71. Great job.

This is not crying, this is sharing a story.

If this story is boring to you, you can stop reading and go read another.

What I do not understand is keeping this thread going on and on, reproposing always your bad experience, this is immaturity, life is full of missed opportunities,and ‘injustices’

Programmer71 said:
What I do not understand is keeping this thread going on and on, reproposing always your bad experience, this is immaturity, life is full of missed opportunities,and ‘injustices’

If someone asks a question - I reply.

If someone says I'm harassing someone, sorry, but I have to object to that.

If you don't want to read my replies, why you come here? You don't want to see the thread going, why you post here?

I get email notice about this thread, i resist to comment, but ,man, get a life , you have spent 20+ years on something that you are now slowly realizing it was not worth it, nobody cares about your game, nobody cares about your game engine, for fuck sake , understand this

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement