Global Cooling

Started by
8 comments, last by Cacks 2 years, 4 months ago

Hi,

I have a physics idea to Cool the Planet

The idea comes from my Games Physics Engine knowledge

I'm wondering if the physics programmers here could take a look at my video,

cheers

Reject the basic asumption of civialisation especially the importance of material possessions
Advertisement

I'm somewhat afraid this could turn the world upside down. Or worse - it could ruin my hairstyle. ; )

@Cacks Discaimer: I'm not a physist.

Everytime you convert one form of energy to another, entropy (energy that cant be used) goes up. Why not just reflect the incoming sunlight? Seems the end effect is the same (radiation beamed out), but fewer steps, and less wasted energy.

scott8 said:
Why not just reflect the incoming sunlight?

Hmmm… tinfoil hats instead masks?
Or we wait a bit longer, build a Dyson sphere around earth and power next gen gaming rigs so they can trace enough rays finally?
Or we just burn less stuff? No. That's too boring.

@scott8

the CO2 blocks the Sunlight venting. We would need to modify the Sunlight to a form which could be vented.

@JoeJ

As humanity will continue to release more CO2 & increase deforestation I came up with this idea to circumvent the CO2 problem.

Reject the basic asumption of civialisation especially the importance of material possessions

Cacks said:
As humanity will continue to release more CO2 & increase deforestation I came up with this idea to circumvent the CO2 problem.

To be honest, i did not have audio on while watching the video. So i made some jokes which maybe isn't justified. Looking just at the image i probably miss how your idea works in detail or at all.
My issue is i'm not willing to listen minutes to a video, while i could get the same information by reading a short paragraph of text in 10 seconds. So i think you should add this text to the post. If i had to learn everything from YT, i would still struggle with PacMan. Videos are fine for entertainment, but it's not the primary tool for any serious education, research, or technical discussion, imo.
I mean, climate change is a problem, but people just spilling and consuming bullshit over social media all day is a problem too. The dumber we become, the lesser we will be able to solve any problem. We might even fail at seeing the problem to be real or fake. I know quite a lot of people which say global warming is a lie.
To filter such bullshit from serious information, ignoring videos but focusing on written text helps a bit. Game developers sit right in between of doing serious research on one hand, and then spreading bullshit on the other. We are engineers, we simulate physics, but it's arguable if our results are valuable or have any function. Thus i wonder why you ask us to save the world, as all we do is building up an imagination on players to do so in fiction.

However, i'm curious. And if it won't work it might at least inspire to some story.
Currently i think if we could turn windmills from emissions, we could use just this energy to power our tech. Problem solved. No need to vent energy to outer space. So is this just trolling, or do i miss something?

@JoeJ

if we create all electricity from renewables the sun will still heat the planet more

without enough trees we cannot remove the CO2

It takes 20 years for a tree to mature

I guess it takes even longer to build a giant turbine - we can not even build a space elevator.
But probably the turbine is just a symbol for many smaller turbines? Like we already have to generate electricity from wind?

What makes you think the warming of atmosphere could turn such turbines? Heat diffuses in all directions. We would need a giant boiler to convert it's energy. In air the interaction of colder and warmer air makes the warm one rising upwards. But the kinetic energy is low. It can't drive turbines by a noticeable amount, otherwise our existing wind turbines would give more power by orienting them horizontally. And even if all heat would follow a magic stream to the south pole, we could only convert a small amount of heat into kinetic energy. It would not become colder.

We are all f***ed.

@JoeJ

turbines the size we already have

don't worry about it

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement