Can we get some sort of auto-save while creating new posts?

Started by
7 comments, last by JoeJ 1 year, 4 months ago

As the title suggests. Multiple times I've accidentially hit the side-key on my mouse that goes back in the browsing-history while typing a long post. Mainly while typing a long post, because I'll tend to take little breaks in between on the other monitor, and boom - everythings gone. A lot of other sites/applications would attempt to save the content of what you are currently typing in case this (or any other situation like browser/OS crashing, power-outage etc) happens, you can just continue where you left off.

Not sure how often this happens to other people and how much work it would be (I'm guessing the answer for the latter question is “a lot”). But just thought I'd throw it out there because I just totally don't want to type that thing again, and having to change my mouse or use an external editor doesn't seem like a good thing to me.

Advertisement

Had this issue in other forums. Typing too long → auto log out without notice → click post and all is gone.
So i started to copy my posts before clicking anything. Can just paste then if things go wrong. But not always i think about this.

Adding to the complaints: Editor still goes nuts after posting a link. Guess this should be easy to fix.

JoeJ said:
Had this issue in other forums. Typing too long → auto log out without notice → click post and all is gone. So i started to copy my posts before clicking anything. Can just paste then if things go wrong. But not always i think about this.

Yeah, I used to do copy longer texts I wrote to a text-editor occasionally, but as you say - not always something you think about all the time, and then it hits you. Guess my problem won't be solved until I get the motivation to write all that text again lul

JoeJ said:
Adding to the complaints: Editor still goes nuts after posting a link.

Adding to the complaints: some characters (dollar signs, for one) cause the remaining text to go kaflooey (apologies for using a technical term - I should've just said “goes nuts”).

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Half that bad. Gamedevs are used to go without dollars : )

Tom Sloper said:
Adding to the complaints: some characters (dollar signs, for one) cause the remaining text to go kaflooey (apologies for using a technical term - I should've just said “goes nuts”).

I mean, I originally didn't wanna go there because IMHO something like auto-save missing is more of a feature-request, but I do feel that. Especially _ is really annoying, causing text to become italic. Guess whoever came up with that never had to work with snake-case (yeah I know code-block prevents this but when I have to name a DX11-constant in my text, I don't really want to add a codeblock for a single word in a sentence, do I?

Adding to the complaints: Whats with the random 502 “Bad gateway"? At least it didn't kill my post but still.

Juliean said:
Especially _ is really annoying, causing text to become italic.

Same for *
I want to use it for multiplications.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement