Vulkan books

Started by
17 comments, last by taby 1 year, 1 month ago

P.S. I also got Vulkan Cookbook, Learning Vulkan, and Vulkan Programming Guide. I have got around to compiling and linking the Vulkan Cookbook code, and there are 3 very small changes needed to the source, in order for it to compile and link using Visual Studio.

Advertisement

@taby Yeah providing an engine in a book which explains an API seems like a method to explain how the fundamentals of the API work in relation to other graphics API's rather than Vulkans specifics, you need someone to build everything up to fully understand how api specifics such as synchronisation truly work.

I ran cmake and it created all the necessary projects for Visual Studio 2022. However, I try running “python bootstrap.py” and it just sits there, with zero network traffic from that app. Did you succeed in downloading the assets this way? P.S. I tried to just use a glTF file that I made, and it doesn't work, just crashes.

I found out that the bootstrapping directory is empty because the main repository doesn't include the necessary files. So, I downloaded the files from https://github.com/corporateshark/bootstrapping/tree/566c817bbeac56349cda4be815903fc18c95a257

Well, if I specify that it uses sponza.gltf by giving the full path, it works:

Chapter14.exe "C:\temp\mastering_vulkan\deps\src\glTF-Sample-Models\2.0\Sponza\glTF\Sponza.gltf"

Well, it works and it doesn't. I can't tell what I'm supposed to be looking for with the sponza model. So, I wrote to Marco, one of the authors, asking what files I should be passing into the chapter 14 and 15 executables. It's not clear to me. Hopefully they enlighten me.

Well that was quick. The author wrote back already, to tell me that the sponza.gltf file is indeed the file in question.

@taby Sorry I was away when you wrote this, I haven't actually purchased the book nor do I have any code for the projects. It's good to see that the author wrote back, I reckon Marco might even provide insight to some further questions you might have. How are the books so far? Are they worth it?

So far the book looks great. I have also gotten the Vulkan Cookbook code to work. The books do seem worth it. Any reference helps me because I'm such a beginner at Vulkan.

Thanks for your correspondence.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement