Where to start

Started by
3 comments, last by Tom Sloper 1 year ago

Hi All,

I'm looking for an engine/dev environment that would suit my project. I hope someone can guide me to a starting point.

I have done various coding in my career. Starting with assembly, C/C++ and Java, the closest I got to game dev was a Java click through story game that used fading as the only animation. I am seriously rusty at Java and C++, as I had a non compete clause in my contract and it's been years since I touched any UI design. I know technology has moved on, so I hope someone can help me get up to speed.

The game requirements are as follows.

1. Mobile platforms (Android and iOS).
  2. 2D with animation using sprites.
  3. Turn based with no need for collision physics, or anything like that.
  4. Server side account. (login from any device and receive messages when off-line)
  5. Ability to run events like daily level and give out rewards
  6. Easy integration of ad services. (banners and full screen video ads)
  7. in-game shop to remove ads. I was considering having premium version in the play store, but I'd like to give away ad-free for a week for event winners.

I know there are plenty of options out there, but I'm looking for an advice. I'm looking for an engine that enables all of the above and ideally has enough templates and libraries to make my life easy. While I'm a beginner at game dev, I come from a coding background, so I don't mind a bit of a learning curve.

Thanks

Dom

Advertisement

I think the core of that is answered in the table here: https://gamedev.net/start/​

You can click the links to each product that interests you and dig into how they might do them. I think all of them support what you described, it's more about your ability to use the tool than it is it is about the tool's ability to deliver. That is: the tool can do it if you can.

Thanks @frob, but the link is broken. any chance you could update it?

DomDru said:

Thanks @frob, but the link is broken. any chance you could update it?

It should work OK now. Try again.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement