Intercept/Get information about game map

Started by
5 comments, last by frob 11 months, 1 week ago

Hello, I'm a Backend developer and lately I've had an idea. I've been playing Squad for years and I always thought it was bad having to open that gigantic map on the screen, and I had the following idea, I wanted to intercept the game map information and send it to a web server that would mount the map and I could access it via tablet or cell phone , I tried to intercept the data using Wireshark but the data is encrypted. Does anyone know a method where I can get map data from my current game session?

Advertisement

The person with the encryption key no doubt knows, obviously.

As you don't seem to be that person, I assume you don't have permission to get the map. As such, even if I would know how to do it, I couldn't give that information to you as I would be assisting you in a data theft crime.

@Alberth I have no bad intentions, I just want to help the squad leader community, who need to open the map at all times in the squad. understand that I don't want to get information about the position of users on the other team, I just want to replicate the map that is displayed to the user himself on his cell phone.

Understand that the player already has this information on his screen, he would just like to be able to display it on his cell phone or on another screen, thus facilitating players who are leading other squads.

Wouldn't that count as an unfair advantage w.r.t opponents? You'd have a benefit of easier communicating position information or coordinating attack plans (assuming that's what you do in the game), wouldn't it?

I don't know the license terms of the game, but no doubt they added encryption for a reason.

@Alberth I think it would not cause so much disadvantage for the enemy team, as I said, every player has access to the map, just press M to be able to display it. the difference is that I would always have the map open on another screen. and I planned to make this app available for free to all players so I would avoid any advantage.

The best approach would be to contact Offworld Industries directly. They have their roots in the mod industry and would likely be willing to work with you if you do it well.

Squad uses Unreal, so working with the assets likely would be straightforward with common industry tools. However, as you noted, you need to have access to the non-encrypted versions, which requires permissions from the original creators.

It is probably possible to use debugging tools to access the data in motion within the game, as I'm guessing the encryption covers both data at rest on disk and data in motion across the wire, but probably not data in use. Even so, that's a legally gray area most people feel uncomfortable going too deep without permission.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement