Starting my gamedev journey (again) and need your help

Started by
7 comments, last by niconico 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Hello, I am Martin and I already tried to get into gamedev few times. Sadly, it never worked out and my games, if even finished, totally sucked.

So, I have a perfect idea for game, and decided to try it once again. I know it will be hard, and I am willing to put a lot of time and effort into it. I don't have much skill, but I have a lot of will to make up to it.

The problem is, I can't learn from videos. I tried, and always made something, but when you try to get to intermediate level, it start getting really hard. So, I am looking for a mentor. I need someone, who is willing to teach me, to help me create something amazing, and we will together accomplish impossible. I am willing to learn and it's not like I am trying to make someone do my game, I just can't do it without help.

Something about me: My name is Martin, and I am 16 yo, but I hope this isn't a problem. I behave like normal person, you wouldn't normally know if I tell you. I live in Czech Republic.

I have some experience with Godot and Scratch, also watched cs50. I know programing logic, my problem lies more in syntax.

I have exciting idea for game, if your interested I will gladly tell you about it.

I am also looking for to learn anything beyond programing, like art, models, lvldesign and so on.

If you're not good at gamedev and you're maybe starting, it isn't problem at all! We can learn together and make game we will be proud of.

Also, if you're maybe making game already, and you want to teach me while developing your game, I will gladly join you! It's not about MY game, it's about experience I get while.doing it.

If anything sounds interesting to you, DM me or message me on Discord : Martin Černý#6365

TLDR: beginner looking for gamedev partner to help each other and learn something

Advertisement

What's the game idea?

@undefined Diablo like, you have your village and choose which citizen you play for.

Each have special mechanic, like healer is pacifist and priest is scared of darkness.

It's more rogue like than diablo though.

@brutalmarta I'll be the annoying one, but if you are going to work with other people - it's best if you try working together prior to jumping on larger project. Major suggestion - make a short game jam game together first (it can even be similar to what you want to develop), it's just better to try cooperating/working together on something small to check if it works out or not.

And not to forget - also saying “Ahoj!” to another member from Czech Republic.

My current blog on programming, linux and stuff - http://gameprogrammerdiary.blogspot.com

Thanks, already in beginner summer game jam!

I will post here what we.made?

@brutalmarta Hello there,

Actually i do have a project done in Stride3d (C#) and are myself a senior developer, i could use an extra hand and can teach you a few tricks, give you advice and orientations, having myself worked several years like a developer (not doing games tho) i know a few things for sure, but also i do have this project i mention and i do think your participation on it could help us both, to you, to improve your skills if you so choose to join this project, to me, advancing a little faster and removing some weight from my back, and sure buddy, if you are willing to learn and help i'm willing to teach you.

I promise the times will be laxed, but you need to put the effort on it, I will train you considering like if you know absolutly nothing about coding at all.

This project i actually move it with a graphic designer, and i do have another junior dev which i have been teaching in rl for some time now to join soon enough too, so you will not be alone on that perspective either.

Send me a PM if you are intresting, of course you can ask stuff too if you want.

The only thing i will ask tho to you is to be constant.

Have a nice day

None

Hello Martin…

The advice by the commenters here is spot on.

However, to repeat what may have already been said, to create a game you will need to learn to program and program well. The 4 primary development languages in use currently for doing this are as follows in the order of their preeminence in game development...

• C/C++
  • C# (requires the Microsoft .NET Framework)
  • Java (requires a Java JVM)
  • Python

Of course you can use any language that has fully developed general programming capabilities but the ones listed above tend to be the most used. My own recommendation would be to use C# since out of all of them it is the easiest to use of the first three listed. If you prefer more of a BASIC type language, then Python will be your best bet.

There are many ways to begin this journey but since you are at the starting point in this path, may I suggest you research the following tools, since they provide the easiest path to gaining game development knowledge at very reasonable cost to you.

The Game Creators has been producing an increasingly powerful game development environment for many years based on a standard BASIC language implementation with all of the graphics necessities as part of the development environment.

There are two ways you can approach the use of The Game Creators tools...

• Begin learning with their AppGameKit or AppGameKit Studio Development Environment, which provides a full IDE to learn your development with.
  • Use AgkSharp, which is a third party supported library for the AppGameKit Engine with either C# or VB.NET
  • Use AppGameKit for Python, which provides an interface to the AppGameKit Engine using the Python language.

Using the first option will require to simply learn the AppGameKit's BASIC language for which the development group provides all of the necessary documentation so you can learn to not only program but program games as well.

Using the second option will allow you develop your game with many more powerful capabilities at your disposal (ie: database) but these come at the cost of a greater amount of complexity, which includes learning the Microsoft Visual Studio environment.

The third option will provide you with the same capabilities as the second one but within the Python development environments. If you would like to combine the power of both C#\VB.NET development environments along with the ease of Python, you could consider using Microsoft's Visual Studio Community Edition (freely available), which now also supports Python with the added advantage of having the entire .NET infrastructure available to you as well.

The second and third options, though for more experienced developers, are manageable for those who are willing to put the effort in to learn how to handle such tools.

The Game Creators web site can be found at the following link... https://www.thegamecreators.com/

The following link at the above web site will provide you a download of the AgkSharp Library... http://madbit.bplaced.com/?page_id=136

The following link will provide you with the download for the AppGameKit for Python tool… https://fascimania.itch.io/appgamekit-for-python

The following link will provide you access to the freely available Community Edition of Microsoft's Visual Studio development environment... https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/vs/

If you choose to go this route, ensure that you download the Community Edition from the drop-down selection at the link immediately above.

Learning to program and doing so with game development as the final goal is one of the most difficult aspects of development one can choose as an endeavor. This is due to the large amount of complexities involved and the many areas of development you must become proficient in.

Steve Naidamast (Sr. Software Engineer)

Hello Martin?

I agree about making a short game jam game to learn more about game dev.

And now I am joining a game jam called: Yahaha Game Dev Spark Jam

If you are interested, maybe we can help each other.

And I always used this DIscord community to learn how to start game dev: https://discord.gg/yahaha-766277288902918144

None

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement