Unreal Engine Beginner

Started by
8 comments, last by Banr 10 months ago

So I just had this idea in my mind, maybe I should start making a game, and I'd really like to do that now.

First things first, I have a programming background, I have done some great things in programming, such as sorting and searching algorithms.

How hard would it be for me to start learning Unreal Engine and building a game from scratch. I have no experience with graphical programming. Where can I learn that? I have no clue where to search…

Thanks for all the possible responses everyone!!!

None

Advertisement

You go to Youtube and type “learn unreal engine”. The first, or one of the first hits, will be a 5 hour tutorial that'll get you started.

Banr said:
How hard would it be for me to start learning Unreal Engine and building a game from scratch.

How hard it would be to learn depends on you. But if you build a game using Unreal you wouldn't be building it “from scratch.” Brian's YouTube suggestion seems like a good way to start.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

@Brian Sandberg Ok am I going to be able to create a game with that one? Thanks for the feedback bro!

None

@Tom Sloper Welp if you're not coding in 0s and 1s you're not coding from scratch…

Anywayz I know that I'm dumb so it'll take me a lotta efort!

None

@Tom Sloper I just wanted to let you know, that I didn't really mean to be offensive. I am sorry if my comment sounded rude. I was doing a technique sarcasm in my first paragraph before. Sorry I'm not very great at it and I just realized I might've sounded rude! SORRY!

None

@Banr Well, we can go a step further. If you don't build your computer, you're note making a game from scratch….

Game engines like UE or Unity allow you to create a game in few clicks. Go on the marketplace, buy cheap or take free assets, add few logic and you're almost done. My son is doing similar things on its Nintendo Switch with Mario Maker, Game Builder Garage and other Super Dongeon Maker. On PC and other plateforms, this is the same with Game Maker and other ‘expensive’ apps.

If you want it more “from scratch”, then use some high level APIs like Ogre maybe, or lower ones like Diligent Engine or so. You can even go one step lower, with using abstraction APIs and even lower with SFML or such, or even bottom-down with doing all the stuff with native and first-level layered APIs (Vulkan, OpenAL, sockets…).

The thing is that it is not commonly accepted to tell that creating a game with such a high-level tool is creating it from scratch.

@_Silence_ OK Silence, gotcha. I'm going to change the terms I'm using right now, I am sorry for being such an uninformed bozo here.

HMM I didn't know it was this easy to make a game in Unreal. What I really wanted to do was to add some C++ coding, to be honest. I am going to check out the APIs you just told me to use!

Thansk for the coment and sorry again!>

None

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement