Movement of secondary characters

Started by
2 comments, last by narek5 9 months, 1 week ago

Hi there

Currently I am working on a 2D top down project. It is like sim city but with main character and its tasks to do. To be short, it's car driving in city and my question is regarding secondary characters, such as another cars and pedestrians — how to organize their movement so the game will be more natural?
The only thing I can do now, is to make a lot of cyclic paths and attach people and cars to those paths. The problem is again about being natural, and what I mean is people and cars aren't always in movement, they stop time by time, enter the building, cars stop at crossing (traffic light), etc.

Please recommend some ways doing this task to make the game world more natural (with people) in Unity.

Thank you

Advertisement

Games like the elder scrolls series solve this by assigning each person in the world a schedule of tasks they complete in order, and having the AI navigate the world to accomplish them. For instance, NPC wakes up at 6am, leaves their house, and walks to neighborhood coffee shop, arriving by 8am. They stay there for 1 hour before taking bus to work. After work, they take the bus to the park where they walk around for a bit before going home for the day.

In order to do something like this you need at the very least to have your NPCs be able to navigate on their own to an arbitrary destination in real time. Then you can either manually script the locations they visit, as in the above example, or maybe just pick a random location to visit after reaching the previous.

@Aressera Thank you for your answer ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement