Playfab cost estimation is confusing..

Started by
2 comments, last by FarrOutStudio 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Hey y'all, this is probably a challenging question to really answer with any reasonable degree of accuracy, but I'm going to ask anyway. Please forgive me 😅. So I'm developing a tower defense/3rd person fusion style game, and I'm using Playfab for just a couple small things. I have a highscores board, which gets retrieved any time the main menu level is opened, and new scores are submitted every time the user gains experience or plays a round of the tower defense mode.

There is also login/register functionality naturally, and I'm saving/retrieving the users experience and an in game currency as virtual currencies.

To my understanding, NO type of data transaction with playfab will cost me until I have over 100k players/go live with the title? But then after that, does anyone have some experience with another title that had fairly limited use of the API, that could help me estimate how much the average player might cost in terms of data? I imagine it is probably not a huge concern, but I'm just wanting to be certain before I publish an early release without fully implementing in game purchases in that stage.

Advertisement

The big cost is hosted servers.

Contact them to be sure about prices, but I think if you are staying under the caps, you will stay in the free tier.

There are more limits than just the user count. There are thresholds on bandwidth, storage, and API calls.

The dashboard shows your usage. If you are reaching 150k requests a month you will want to find a way to monetize your game to pay the bills.

@frob Thanks for the advice! I think most likely I'll have a donations portal in my coming early release, just in case I am delayed in the final release and it happens to be successful enough to get a huge base of very active users.

Have a great day,
Isaac @ Farr Out Studio

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement