Using ECS for complex engine and game logic

Started by
24 comments, last by Tom Sloper 5 months ago

alice wolfraider said:
the point of ECS: is that you don’t need the code of a specific engine like Unity5 or UE5: you have your own game engine separately from physical engines - and here is the benefit - you can have gameplay portability to another engine or within the inside of engine

I'm pretty sure you've confused the concept of ECS with the concept of linked libraries.

alice wolfraider said:
creating a competitive game program requires 5-7 years of development or hundreds of developers - at least dozens of company developers - ECS requires collecting ECS itself from six months to a year, but in the end you get a reduction in development time by several times, also reducing the costs of crowds of parallel developers, and for indies this allows you to create games more personally .. but this is a long tale .. the real point is that any game with which you want to make a profit will take 10 times more effort than it seems and then only ECS: and this is real “virtual development” as opposed to pseudo-virtual development which many are engaged in

Agreed with Julean. What you've written there seems to be detached from everything I've ever seen done or described over the past 40 years. It makes me feel old to write that.

Advertisement

@frob

frob said:

done or described over the past 40 years. It makes me feel old to write that.

On the first page I left a link to a specific peer of “Advanced ECS”: system of phantom entities: it’s difficult to confuse anything here, especially for those who understand what we’re talking about: especially since someone in the thread has already described quite how it works in practice : you just have to read the thread in more depth

maybe you want to start learning programming again?! I even see that you, as a C++ programmer, work with functions - essentially evading the concept of procedural programming, since you do not see the difference even here: since you are a C++ programmer with C++ errors

the following error: iteration through a function, and not through procedural loops: since in this case control over the calculations on which the logic is built is lost : Lost Control over the program

I don’t yet have a goal to explain programming through the prism of ECS: since the point is to understand ECS and the meaning is obvious

it's like assembling a spaceship: you take the hull of the ship, then insert the radar, guns, attach the engine, cosmic capture (fuelscope), and so on

how a gun is constructed or how an engine is constructed that you can control is not the purpose of assembling from entity objects

the engine can be created by a certain company, and another company will create a scanner: it makes sense for you to assemble a ship from ready-made objects: the rest of what is missing can be assembled yourself or ordered from someone

and all this can be saved in the configuration under the configuration number ...

in modern programs there is too much data, too much code and hundreds of objects

and thousands of sub-objects

Alice Corp Ltd

Just another addition, you can read a book “Game Engine Architecture” by Jason Gregory (3rd ed.), page 1026, 16.2.1.6 "Pure Component Models" and page 1057, 16.2.2 "Property-Centric Architectures". You can find some pros and cons regarding to component-centric models.

frob said:
You would build a struct with a bunch of function pointers and replace them as needed.

Ha, i thought about function pointers, but not about using multiple ones. Kinda brilliant. I'm glad i've asked. :D

Xeh2390 said:
This is what the ChatGPT replied to me:

What a chatbot has to say is not of interest. Thread locked.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement