I want to start making video games

Started by
13 comments, last by craig6673@outlook.com 5 months ago

Soo, i want to start making video games. I didnt know how, but i watched video on yt (idk if i can share link). But man in the video say that is good strategy to start with Scratch to get like visual idea how all that work. After scratch i am planning to move on GDevelop i hear he is good for begginers, i planning to make 2d games. Is that good strategy, should i really use scratch first or move rn to GDevelop? I can share video if i can. (Btw sorry for bad english..)

Advertisement

Qwrt7391 said:
Is that good strategy, should i really use scratch first

Don't worry about others' opinions. Just start. JUST DO IT. Every person's work style and skillset is different. Do it YOUR way.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

@Qwrt7391 Besides learning a specific language, I found it helpful to read some language-agnostic books. Two of my favorites are Game Programming Patterns and Programming Game AI by Example.

I agree with Tom, do it your way. But it can be difficult, so don't get too discouraged. Start by taking small steps and making simple games. Work your way up to more complex games.

Good luck!

As new to game development, you don't know enough yet to have a “your way”, so the thing to do is to absorb information from all directions, but not necessarily to much debt, so you get more of an overview and is able to pick a direction. Tom's advice is exactly right; just start, do anything and everything.

Scratch is a fine tool for giving kids an introduction to programming. You'll probably outgrow it in anything from a week to an evening, which means you can't really lose by playing around with it. You should also be fine if you move on directly to (for example) GDevelop. If you want a simple 3rd alternative to get you started, have a look at pico8 at https://www.lexaloffle.com/pico-8.php​​ which is a virtual console with a built-in programming environment, that is very similar to how many of us initially started programming back on 8/16 bit machines.

It's a good idea to have a concrete starter-goal. Make the absolute simplest version of the simplest game you can think of. Something like Pong. But make it and finish it. Then work your way up.

The main thing I found is to use what makes you comfortable. If you don't like a certain engine, you don't have to use it. Of course, hearing other people's opinions is great, I personally love hearing from others about things such as game engines, but as indecisive as I am, the best thing to do for me is just to try it and see if I like it.

I know many people like Godot, but for me, it's not comfortable to work with. I wouldn't ever say it's a bad engine, I think very fondly of it, but it's just not for me.

Going back to you, I think that yes, Scratch is a good place to start, that's actually where I started game development. It's good for learning the basic systems of programming and game development, but if you don't like Scratch, there are plenty of other engines, such as GDevelop, that can teach you the same things. If you eventually want something more complex, I would go with Godot.

As I said though, don't let me, a random person on the internet that just figured out this website existed moments ago, or anyone else, dictate exactly what you do with your game development journey, because it's yours. It's okay to try what other people said, don't get me wrong, just that there is no single definitive answer.

None

why you go about it very carefully.

back in the day this is where I tried your dream and read bellow.

and they think they can rob me., so i pray to God you got old website files as it will be needed.

so don't fall into predicament like I have. The other side of the moon

I was Yung and free.

To: whom it may concern.

I sent one to 4a games, CSG, Vostok Games

After stealing my Engen and oblivion lost as well as stalker franchise I was discarded, whilst these people stole everything and try to lose me in their fragmentation into the 3 companies.

Recall to gamedev.net old website.

. all the proof of Engen design (oblivion) and of stalker game creation with forums.

Sufficient for legal action to take place. I want them all brought up on charges and I would like all equipment seized and appropriate people arrested.

All the proof of ownership is there and also, I have never received any payment or sold any version of the games that were stole including the 2013 version of stalker 2 were by the Engen was ransacked and stiped, whilst another version was thrown free to the public. (as well as leaked then)

I want all version of this game removed from circulation; I want THQ sue as well as accessory.

And I’m sur you can find a financial link between one of these 3 companies and TAQ as the boosted

the stalker series.

Oh yes id like a stop placed on the so-called stalker 2 project as I have also not given my permission, and I have never hens the last canulation.

I’m sorry it had to come to this, but these people think they clever and can get away with it. To note I want all equipment and applicable files confiscated and the main culprits blacklisted.

If you do your job, I’d be very grateful.

I will worry about sueing them after they are brought to justice and don’t worry, I leave them with some money for you to fine them for all the breaches against the gaming federation, but this is you territory not min.(thats if there is 1)

Thanks for your time.

(This is a rough draft of letter I will be posting to appropriate people if I don’t here back.)

(also, i just remembered a few months ago as my memory came back)

Note: come to think of it, did i word this right? but you see everyone a thief especially gaming industry which is worse than gangster scum or drug dealers so always keep your back to the wall!

@qwrt7391 , don't worry about having your ideas stolen. This guy Craig George seems to be saying (very confusingly, took a layered search to find it) that he designed S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl (developed by GSC Game World, and published by THQ) and/or S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Oblivion Lost, a fan remake. And he also claims he created the game's engine ("engen"), and he also seems to blame VG Entertainment Ltd (formerly Vostok Games) for this alleged theft. He says he wants to sue THQ ("TAQ"), which went bankrupt 12 years ago. His claim raises credibility issues just by the way it's written, and by the breadth of his claim, but beyond that, concept theft is extremely rare (because it's so expensive to develop mainstream games). It's a shame he introduced his wild claim in your thread, because you should not be discouraged in your desire to become a game creator. He says be careful. He's right (see how in my article How to protect your own creations) but there is such a thing as too careful. It's unlikely anybody is going to enrich themselves off your creativity.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

These action will help you on your way .like the guy said we all have I own method

1. Action devotion

2. Action proactiveness

3. Action research

4. Action experimentation

5. Action understanding

6. Action relax

there is the functionality “Good start.”

oh and please dont mind my retort to other guy…

Well it’s a fact all the proof is on this original website.

Any way its not the only ones that have done it

You will be aware next year of a legal event taking place between me and aeria

Games for Shaiya and lost chaos (proof) leading onto legal action against the UDN and Epic

Been sued, so once I’m finished with that there is a hole lot of unreal Engen holders.

Who have received stolen goods?

I know you don’t know who I am but to say its not all of them, that is a lie you all thieves.

Always cover your work get blood samples and send them some were and get people.

To check you are you as one of the first things they do is replace you with you.

Its actually something people never talk about

Like epic stealing games and licences for unreal engine, kidnaping and slavery...

Lucky its online and I escaped epic wait for that 1 it will be so epic ill fkn berry the company.

With facts. You know I taught the hole of area games to use unreal engine

Whilst designing and drawing Shaiya also leading to half of its content been stolen and placed into lost chaos and in that time been locked out of udn and well cliff is off to the big house

That’s for sure and so is most of them., this is not about this its about Oblivion lost

ts not about Shaiya

Its not about sword art

Its not about final fantasy

Its not about bliss unleashed.

Its not about dragons’ nest

Its not about ddo

Just to name a few Etc.

This is about how things were stolen and

were are all the levels I worked on for so called Vostok stole all the levels I worked on for so called survarium that are no were to be seen.

There was a version of stalker to so called made in 2013 called Oblivion lost, (heart of what?)the editor is 1.6 sdk7 splash. Was leaked then vanished, med kits are in most stalker games like Anomaly (they next) and I hear the new version was leaked as well???(we all know most fotage is from 2013, im sure experts can work out im playing in vidio?

4Agames I must have made metro 2033 posable ye and were you buy all you digitising gear from..csg sale? Im not to worried about you people as it will be quick.

So honestly, I’m not here to steal this guys post, I was like him

bottom line I've never met a good guy in this fieald,and hiding the fact from new people leaves them vonarable to

theaves he can get prime exsample here and so it beginns yet this website holds the truth. about Oblivion Lost as i used to beg coders to write bits of code for me ,i bet i was a pain in the day.

one again dude cover yourself, tell no 1 take drive with you"have c4 charg on it in case you lose it haha wherever money is involved theres crimanils ,they may be few good ones but iv never seen them.and id watch epic things go missing around them.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement