Making Internet Based Games

Started by
11 comments, last by Blade Runner 22 years, 1 month ago
I''m not sure if this is the correct place to post this question... So what sort of tools does one need to make an internet game, something like the games seen on yahoo, pogo, msn zone, etc.
--------------------------I shall thrash his bloody head in, cut it from upon his shoulders, and as his blood flows effortlessly down my blade, I shall taste it's sweetness. Blade Runner’s Entertainment Nothing much right now...
Advertisement
Well, to make internet games you have to know java usually. Flash and CGI may also work but java is probobly the way to go because the functionality of it is growing.

[Edited by - kmsixpence on October 17, 2005 7:27:45 PM]
learn java

http://labino.cjb.net
freeware and shareware games, and free and pay web design.
http://www.labino.net
I''d go for Macromedia Shockwave if I were you. Get yourself a trial version of Director and have a play.

E
All the games on Yahoo are written in Java. If you want multiplayer over the internet, Java is your best choice.

---
Make it work.
Make it fast.

"Commmmpuuuuterrrr.." --Scotty Star Trek IV:The Voyage Home
"None of us learn in a vacuum; we all stand on the shoulders of giants such as Wirth and Knuth and thousands of others. Lend your shoulders to building the future!" - Michael Abrash[JavaGaming.org][The Java Tutorial][Slick][LWJGL][LWJGL Tutorials for NeHe][LWJGL Wiki][jMonkey Engine]
Java, I was thinking about that to but I wasn't to sure. Shockwave never crossed my mind, I didn't know you could even make shockwave games, probably because I never play them . Well I'll look into Java first and check it out with my Computer Programming teacher and the Network Admins. in my school or county. Hopefully they will give me the OK to make the game, damn Admins. disable everything leave the user with no freedom .

Well, thanks for the replies and keep them coming.

Later

Edited by - Blade Runner on January 30, 2002 6:48:54 PM
--------------------------I shall thrash his bloody head in, cut it from upon his shoulders, and as his blood flows effortlessly down my blade, I shall taste it's sweetness. Blade Runner’s Entertainment Nothing much right now...
Hi, do any of you know of any good Java sites? I checked out that Director thing and man that''s a big download, I don''t have 28MB+ worth of patience for possible a handful of enabled features.
java.sun.com
--------------------Go Stick Your Head In A Pig
If you go to the Java site Spiral mentioned, then you can download the Java SDK, the complete API docs plus they also have a complete tutorial online or available for download. They have everything you need to get started. But all this stuff is also in big downloads. Although I think they give you the option of downloading it in pieces.

---
Make it work.
Make it fast.

"Commmmpuuuuterrrr.." --Scotty Star Trek IV:The Voyage Home
"None of us learn in a vacuum; we all stand on the shoulders of giants such as Wirth and Knuth and thousands of others. Lend your shoulders to building the future!" - Michael Abrash[JavaGaming.org][The Java Tutorial][Slick][LWJGL][LWJGL Tutorials for NeHe][LWJGL Wiki][jMonkey Engine]
If you want to know more about programming games in java, try :

www.javagaming.org

By default, Java in a web browser must be based around the 1.1 specification as this is all Microsoft have implemented (and have now left this arena). You can force a download of extensions provided by Sun (see their Java plug-in).

Damian
Damian (-*-)www.smilie.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement