Beating Boredom

Started by
27 comments, last by hairycoconuts 22 years, 3 months ago
quote:Original post by ZGL_Sigma
well - I''m still a OpenGl newbie but I''m programming c++ since 2 years and before that I was prgramming turbo pascal (someone remembers 80x25 screens ?? )

but I can''t say I even have ever fun - but when I don''t have fun but still want to programm (because a problem starts to piss me off) then I hear a bit music - 5 gigs of music on my HD - mainly Nirvana. (someone still remembers Kurt Cobain ???)

Well, I started with tp, but after some time i switched to 80x50 )

By now I can say that i''m an ok c++ programmer because I had the chance of choosing the book "C++ from the Ground Up", and it''s still the only one I have. (also includes important C stuff)

My initial problems were the frustration of thinking how fast how i''d solve problems in pascal while spending hours doing the same in c++.

BTW, I still listen to nirvana while coding! (metallica is also one of my favourites...)

Advertisement
quote:Original post by hairycoconuts
All the examples in both of the books explains what each function etc does, but it doesn''t give you any progects or anything to do yourself, which i think isn''t good thing.

Perhaps you want to try ''C++ in 21 day''s''? thats what I''m reading currently and it explains the stuff it teaches very good. After reading it you will know how things work. I have some programming background allready so it''s a bit too detailed sometimes but i guess it will be perfect for a beginner.
At the end of each chapter you''ll find a quiz and some exercises so you''ll might like that.

I know that books are very expensive. If you don''t have the money for just another book about programming I can offer you a very cheap solution. Just drop me a mail

cya
lithander

p.s.: it seems that a lot of programmers enjoy rock or similar music. It''s quite surprising isn''t it? You should think that calmer music should be better for the concentration.

p.p.s: scorpions? i''ll never understand why german bands like rammstein and scorpions are popular in america and the really good ones complete unknown. *grin*
well - Rammstein is so popular because it''s unique - but there are even bad bnds which come from germany like "No Angles" or "Bro''sis" or whatever names they have !

Nirvana
Limp Bizkit
and Rammstein

Rule !!
I hate signatures !!!
for me its always fun to code, be it a game or work, nasty elusive bugs you spend the whole day or week chasing is what takes the fun out of it, but applying the bug spray in the right place after having a bad time with the bug, is like Sex after a fight.

Whatever happened to Eddy Vetter (don''t know how to spell his name) from Pearl Jam. Pearl Jam was here, on top, one of the most influential bands of the 90s, and then they were gone. No one talks about Eddy like he''s dead, but no one talks about him like he''s around either. What happened?

And I dunno on Sams Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days. Good book.

I also have C++ for Dummies, and I''m not too happy with it. There''s a lot of necessary information missing, like when it starts talking about switch statements, and the only reason someone would buy it is because of what it says on the cover: "Written in Plain English." But so is 21 Days. >BG

--Some Guy
Forgive me for being sarcastic, but is this forum full of people with mullets? I''m just wondering ...

Try and chill a little to Pink Floyd. It''s really relaxing, therefore good for programming
Sometimes too much of a good thing can get to ya, when i get a little bored, i take a break from coding (for about 2 days), or another thing that helps me is to listen to alot of grunge music full volume.. that is of course if you like grunge.

quote:Original post by RipTorn
the game programming starter kit (is the current revision number 4?) looks to be very poor to me... a general rule is to steer away from the sams "teach yourself in 30 minutes" rubbish... which I believe that contains a couple of..

Sadly enough, that thing survived at least into version 5, maybe there are even more of them. I got version 4.0 for eight bucks at best buy, and I really can''t say that the contents is even worth that much.

later,
ZE.

//email me.//zealouselixir software.//msdn.//n00biez.//
miscellaneous links

[if you have a link proposal, email me.]

[twitter]warrenm[/twitter]

This is good stuff, cso you recon i should just listen to music in the background?

If i don''t understand something just keep trying! Got you. Thankz

-----------------------
This space is for sale
-----------------------
-----------------------This space is for sale-----------------------

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement