What's the best FREE c++ compiler for windows?

Started by
21 comments, last by hockeyerke 22 years, 2 months ago
quote:Original post by OOProgrammer
>> What''s the best FREE c++ compiler for windows?

A STOLEN copy of VC++.

Damn right.

...Hey I BOUGHT VC++ Standard b4 I burned a copy of VS6 Enterprise...

-----------------------------
The sad thing about artificial intelligence is that it lacks artifice and therefore intelligence.

Democracy is where you say what you want and do what you''re told.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Advertisement
GNU C++ (so far Dev C++ ide) !!! it''s the best completly free compiler !

Fratt
Fratt is 100 % right, Gcc is the best because when you''ll see the light and convert to the true faith ( Linux ) you''ll still be able to use your gcc, or g++ compiler. It runs on both OS , is free and come standard with any major Linux distribution . I''m not talking here about some weird Linux distro that fits on 1 single 3.5"" diskette
Repent you windows sinner.
quote:Original post by Biased turkey
... when you'll see the light and convert to the true faith ( Linux ) you'll still be able to use your gcc, or g++ compiler... Repent you windows sinner.

heh heh, you'd think that someone of the "true faith" would know that Linux is the kernel, not the operating system...
ert!

Edited by - krez on February 20, 2002 5:06:42 PM
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
quote:Original post by hockeyerke
What''s the best FREE c++ compiler for windows?

I''ve always been a fan of Borlands compilers. I believe there version 5.5 compiler is free and for Windows. I also think there output tends to be a little better to, but thats just my opinion.
Patrick
Well, you could send off for a free 60 day evaluation of Visual Studio.net... Its on DVD, and requires 3.6GB of space, but thats only because its got an absolutely HUUUUUGE help system which is fantastic for beginners!

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/prodinfo/trial.asp (not quite free, need 2 pay delivery charge if outside US)

Another option is to buy a student license of VSC++6... Only about £30! I bought the book ''C++ for VB programmers'' for about £30 and got the learning edition of C++ free! :-D

bangz.
There will be student editions available for VS.NET too - I believe VS.NET Pro is around $100.

The world holds two classes of men -- intelligent men without religion, and religious men without intelligence. Abu''l-Ala-Al-Ma''arri (973-1057; Syrian poet)
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
SRY!!! posted wrong link...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/productinfo/trial.asp
Student edition of visual studio.net?! excellent!!! I was looking for one the other day but couldn't find it anywhere?! Anyone know where i could get hold of a copy? (pref. UK, but could import it)

Edited by - bangz on February 20, 2002 5:39:15 PM
I downloaded borland 5.5 from Kazaa because I didnt want to fill out all the forms. When it was done i opened it and it unpacked some files ... when i went to look for the .exe its not there. It''s the official in line thing because it had the instalation and reames and everything. Do I have to register before i get the .exe file? I searched and searched and its just not there
A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement