Reloaded discussion *SPOILER*

Started by
482 comments, last by squirrel_of_death 20 years, 8 months ago
All your questions can be answered if you simply look at the Matrix as a massively distributed multiprocessing software system with the possibility to hook up your brain to the system as though it were a disk drive. If you consider everything in the movie in that context, it''s all pretty explainable.

The only issue is Neo at the end, but even that I think can be explained - wireless communication. All the machines are tied to a central wireless communication mechanism that all the humans in the real world use to tap into the Matrix from any location in the world. Neo, somehow, got the code to communicate with the machines over this wireless protocol in his head. Because of this, he is effectively half-man, half-machine - but only in the sense that he has code in his brain (like Bane has Smith''s code in his). Otherwise, he''s still human.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Advertisement
quote:Original post by Khawk
All your questions can be answered if you simply look at the Matrix as a massively distributed multiprocessing software system with the possibility to hook up your brain to the system as though it were a disk drive. If you consider everything in the movie in that context, it''s all pretty explainable.

The only issue is Neo at the end, but even that I think can be explained - wireless communication. All the machines are tied to a central wireless communication mechanism that all the humans in the real world use to tap into the Matrix from any location in the world. Neo, somehow, got the code to communicate with the machines over this wireless protocol in his head. Because of this, he is effectively half-man, half-machine - but only in the sense that he has code in his brain (like Bane has Smith''s code in his). Otherwise, he''s still human.

Yeah, right you are. Maybe he is half machine, half human. Maybe that would explain his dreams too. Movies from the pervious events(if this was the 6th time it all happened) getting broadcasted into his head by his machine-half!?

/MindWipe
"To some its a six-pack, to me it's a support group."
so whats the deal with the oracle?

I was going to ask whether she''s a good-guy or a bad-guy, but i realized thats a fuzzy line between being good and bad ...
(0110101101000110)The Murphy Philosophy: Smile . . . tomorrow will be worse.
Ill give u a leession on good and bad

Bad:
Bill Gates
Script Kiddies
Microsoft

Good:
Tux
Linux
Hackers (AS IN KERNAL)
If you were MEANT to understand it, we wouldn't have called it 'code'
quote:Original post by MrPoopypants
so whats the deal with the oracle?

I was going to ask whether she''s a good-guy or a bad-guy, but i realized thats a fuzzy line between being good and bad ...

The Oracle is just a program that reads chemical reactions in the brain and based on analysis of those reactions, can tell people exactly what they''re about to say or do. In the not-so-technical sense, the Oracle is a guide for getting "The One", or the anomaly, to the source. You see, the Oracle is like an exception handling. If you consider Neo an exception in the system (which he really is given that he is an anomaly in the system), the Matrix software is trying to handle him and guide him to the proper location.

Consider this thought.. all software must be deterministic to achieve the proper results. If something ever happens in the software that you did not plan for, then you will get unexpected results (duh). One of the ways we try to prepare for these unexpected results is through exception handling.

Now consider that the Matrix is a realtime, safety-critical, multiprocessing system. If a software exception occurs (hardware is treated differently) in these types of systems, your only real option is to reset. See the tie in?

As I said, it''s all pretty explainable if you look at things in terms of software.

Admin for GameDev.net.

quote:Original post by Khawk
Consider this thought.. all software must be deterministic to achieve the proper results. If something ever happens in the software that you did not plan for, then you will get unexpected results (duh). One of the ways we try to prepare for these unexpected results is through exception handling.

Now consider that the Matrix is a realtime, safety-critical, multiprocessing system. If a software exception occurs (hardware is treated differently) in these types of systems, your only real option is to reset. See the tie in?
Nice analogy.

Maybe the real question is: Is the Matrix exception-safe?
quote:Original post by pentium3id
About humans serving as batteries, the Animatrix
episodes "2nd Renaissance" all point to his being true.
Well, in all movies there is a point where you are
force to take a leap-of-faith. Especially in sci-fi movies.
Thats our L-O-F...

PLEASE! Haven't you been paying attention? Your TV is lying to you! This is an established theme in the matrix. The 2nd renaissance's information comes from the Zion archive of all places! Just becauce your TV said so do not make it true. Morpheus' explaination is unrelyible! Why do people cling to it so? We are being taken for a ride people and if you don't notice now by the time the third movie ends you might be jumping up in your seat in the theater and yelling "HEY! That's not right!"

I really think Dauntless is on the right track exploring possible themes instead of possible plot developments that may or may not occur.

[edited by - Critical_Waste on June 10, 2003 11:53:49 AM]
Wrong button...

[edited by - Critical_Waste on June 10, 2003 11:53:36 AM]
not letting this bloddy thread die.... its great!
If you were MEANT to understand it, we wouldn't have called it 'code'
yay! It lives on!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement