Some music to share!

Started by
68 comments, last by Pedro Camacho 17 years, 11 months ago
Did you made your songs from scratch?
Advertisement
As opposed to? :) hehehe. I write all of my pieces from scratch.

Regards,
Sean
Sean Beeson | Composer for Media
www.seanbeeson.com
From where do you get inspiration?
I personally, am not inspired by other composers music nearly as much as what I am vivid imagery that I see in my head when I am inspired by the situation that requires the composition. For example, one of my pieces was written for a Civil War game. I get inspiration from seeing images in my mind of the war occuring.

Sean
www.seanbeeson.com
Actually, I thought about it, and if ANY composer has inspired me a lot, it has definetly been Debussy, along with Van Halen and Meatloaf. (Yanni a little as well.) But other than Debussy, I cannot say that I am directly nspired by composers, thats not to say that a small handful of pieces aren't inspiring to me though.

Beeson
www.seanbeeson.com
Quote:Original post by Sean R Beeson
I personally, am not inspired by other composers music nearly as much as what I am vivid imagery that I see in my head when I am inspired by the situation that requires the composition. For example, one of my pieces was written for a Civil War game. I get inspiration from seeing images in my mind of the war occuring.

I also get a lot of inspiration from certain situations like watching a movie or documentation or listening to music.
I cannot say that I am directly nspired by composers.

Beeson

'Directly' inspired? What does that mean, exactly?
In any case, I don't believe you. No man is an island. You may be in a place now where you don't listen to as much music outside of yourself, but I refuse to believe that during a specific point of your development as a musician, as a human being, you weren't inspired by a great many composers. Perhaps I am wrong. If I am right, no problem with admitting that you obtained something from composers that came before you...it takes nothing away from your musical achievements. However, I find it a bit foolish to try to claim otherwise, unless I am simply misinterpreting you.
That is why I replied with the thing about Debussy, and then the comment about the other pieces. Of course I am inspired by the Fanfare of Coplands, and even nearly everything that Griffes wrote. I didn't mean to come across as saying that none of them inspired me.

I just don't listen to a Mahler Symphony and get this feeling of writting a symphony. Most music that inspires me is music that I hear on accident. Hearing Chopin inspires me, but not all of his pieces do. Some people have composers that everything they do inspires them, a composer they can relate to. Mine, as stated is Debussy.

I am not inspired by the people, but by their music. I am not sure what you want me to say. I don't sit and listen to stacks of CD's. I don't sit and study scores for hours. I grew up listening to Van Halen (I was only 6 when I was listening to 1984 : ) Some of the harmonies used in that album have helped me develop. That is why I used the word "directly". I haven't picked a composer to listen to. I haven't picked a composer to model my life off of like some people do. I also listened to Scott Joplin, Meatloaf, Yanni, a TON of Catholic Literaure Music (I have been an accompanist since I was 15 for Catholic Masses), a lot of video game soundtrack, NAS, Garth Brooks, 60's rock, John Philip Sousa, and Philip Glass. ( I grew up in the mid 80's) The list goes on. I listened to all kinds of things.

I was not even introduced to some of the great classical composers until I was 19 and 20. I hadn't listened to a Mahler Sympony until this year. I sat and listened to it. My friend stated, Mahler is a genius. I agree 100%. Sitting with a score in front of me, the incredible amount of skill is evident. But listening to his music doesn't give me goosebumps.

I should also mention that right now, in my car, I have 12 80's CD's, one Jeff Foxworthy CD, one Steve Martin CD, one Coast to Coast CD, and a CD of miscellaneous tracks. (Including some Toto).

Perhaps I am a "bad" composer, and it most likely comes across as that. I enjoy all the music I listen to, and in fact may be inspired by great composers music, but I may not realize it consciously. That is all I was trying to say :)! I am sure that it has inspired me, and I am sure that it is evident in my music, (Debussy is CLEARLY evident in some of my more classical works).

So apologies to those who I peeved off. My statement was mis-stated. It isn't like I don't need previous composers or the hundreds of years of music they have left behind.
www.seanbeeson.com
No, you misunderstood me. I just find it amazing that you are as skilled with orchestration as you are with so few names to give credit to. (And of course by composers, I mean music.) If anything, that is a testament to your ability. Nothing more. :) I think my own mistake came with defining inspiration and musical study as similar courses. My musical processes are different than your own. Simply, I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions about how other musicians formulate their musical identity.
In the end, I misinterpreted you. Thanks for clarifying and sorry for the inconvenience.

That being said:

That is why I replied with the thing about Debussy, and then the comment about the other pieces. Of course I am inspired by the Fanfare of Coplands, and even nearly everything that Griffes wrote. I didn't mean to come across as saying that none of them inspired me.

I just don't listen to a Mahler Symphony and get this feeling of writting a symphony. Most music that inspires me is music that I hear on accident. Hearing Chopin inspires me, but not all of his pieces do. Some people have composers that everything they do inspires them, a composer they can relate to. Mine, as stated is Debussy.

Understood.

Quote:Original post by Sean R BeesonPerhaps I am a "bad" composer, and it most likely comes across as that. I enjoy all the music I listen to, and in fact may be inspired by great composers music, but I may not realize it consciously. That is all I was trying to say :)! I am sure that it has inspired me, and I am sure that it is evident in my music, (Debussy is CLEARLY evident in some of my more classical works).

No need to put words in my mouth, I said and meant NOTHING of the sort. ;) Your tastes in music are none of my business. It is quite clear that you are extremely skilled regardless of what you listen to. This thread is a clear indication that your work is well liked and that people acknowledge your ability. I would love to hear some of your non-classical works some time. :)

Quote:So apologies to those who I peeved off. My statement was mis-stated. It isn't like I don't need previous composers or the hundreds of years of music they have left behind.

Not at all. I am sorry if you came to the conclusion that I was attacking you. I certainly wasn't trying to provoke you in any way. I hope you accept my sincerest apologies.

Ryan
I understand 100%. :) Coming from a modern conservatory, where very simple misunderstandings like this are not something uncommon. I just need to explain myself better anyway next time.

Cheers,
Sean Beeson
www.seanbeeson.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement