scripting language with c++ like syntax?

Started by
35 comments, last by HansDampf 17 years, 11 months ago

Make a reg file and Merge it in the registry.
you can try this for vc7

REGEDIT4
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Devstudio\6.0\Build System\Components\Platforms\Win32 (x86)\Tools\32-bit C/C++ Compiler for 80x86]
"Input_Spec"="*.c;*.cpp;*.cxx;*.nut"
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Devstudio\6.0\Text Editor\Tabs/Language Settings\C/C++]
"FileExtensions"="cpp;cxx;c;h;hxx;hpp;inl;tlh;tli;rc;rc2;nut"

for vc6
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Devstudio\6.0\Build System\Components\Platforms\Win32 (x86)\Tools\32-bit C/C++ Compiler for 80x86]
"Input_Spec"="*.c;*.cpp;*.cxx;*.nut"
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Devstudio\6.0\Text Editor\Tabs/Language Settings\C/C++]
"FileExtensions"="cpp;cxx;c;h;hxx;hpp;inl;tlh;tli;rc;rc2;cc;nut"
MCO
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Basiror
Hi do you know any scripting languages that use the c++ syntax?

http://root.cern.ch/root/Cint.html

These are just a list of how I feel I moved from certain languages to the current ones I embed (all four co-exist nicely) in whatever applications I do.

C -> ICI
Perl -> Ruby
mIRC -> Tcl
&#106avascript -> Squirrel
Hi,
Sorry if I feed this thread a bit late, but I just wanted to mention there was an article you might want to look at in Game Programming Gems 6.

-> 4.1 - Scripting Language survey. (page 323)
Covered scripts: Python, Lua, GameMonkey, AngelScript.
Focusing on: Language features and ease of coding, integration with c/c++, performance, additionnal features ( tools like debugging, profiling, logging...)

Of course buying this book just for this article is overkill :) but maybe you can borrow it or somethin.

Anyway, I hope I helped.

Janta
What did the GPG6 book say about the scripting langauges reviewed?
Doesn't really rate them. Mainly just evaluates the capabilities of each without bias as to what to prefer. Unfortunately it doesn't explore the co-routine capabilities of each in very much depth at all.
Quote:Original post by evolutional
What did the GPG6 book say about the scripting langauges reviewed?

Well, I hope that quoting the conclusion would not be an abusive copyrights violation. There is a (rephrased, because I'm too lazy to write everything :) extract of what I think is relevant (yes I did say what I think, not what is)

Quote:
Python was not conceived to be just an extension language, while Lua, GameMonkey and AngelScript were designed at first to be just that. This makes python seem the most complete and complex in terms of features, though it is not very far away from Lua and GameMonkey in functionnality.
GM and AS have a c++ like syntax, which may add some extra complexity for non programmers. But the familiar syntax helps programmers to transition from c++ coding to scripting. Most complex script will require at least programmer assistance, and a change of syntax is prone to errors and slowdowns, which a game developper cannot afford when on a tight schedule. Thus can c++ syntax be an important feature to consider.
Today, script programming is no longer a tedious task, thanks to good editing, debugging, logging and profiling features available for python, Lua and GM. AS currently does not have many external tools, but some might come as the language will become more popular.

As DrEvil said, this is just an overview of the features but not a deep study at all.

BTW the author of this "gem" is Diego Garces from FX Interactive (diegogarces, gmail [dot com])

Hope that helps.
It's pretty awesome that Angelscript is even included in that list. Even more awesome because it's main development forum is right here on Gamedev, and it's still young enough that every user can have an affect on it's direction.

Super doubly awesome because I am writing some of those 'tools'. :D!!!
Is anybody aware of a c++ oriented scripting language that supports or at least encourages/simplifies unit testing or TDD in general?
What I would really like to have is a 100% C++ compliant script parser that allows for fast iteration times on large projects, but can still be compiled to native for speed. In my experience, although scripting languages may be created for designers, they end up being complicated enough that programmers still do the work, yet they come with the speed penalty and inflexibility associated with a scripting language.

The reason they're used is because while you can compile scripts in 5 seconds, if you change a C++ header file you have to wait 20-40 minutes for the code to recompile on a large project. So, development continues in script despite the fact that it is many times slower than native C++. In effect half of the processing power available may be tossed to unnecessary script overhead just to make the game easier to run.

The holy grail here would be a language with fast iteration during development, that can compile to native for speed, and is cross platform. Since most programmers in the games business know C++, and the native compilers are already there, a fully C++ compliant scripting language would be perfect.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement