C++ Workshop - Introduction

Started by
261 comments, last by Melvin18 14 years, 10 months ago
To All,

First, let me say thank you for all of your responses. It's a pleasure to see genuine interest in learning to program C++, and in a willingness to help your fellow friends and forum posters.

Let me a address a few of your posts.

Quote:Original post by Alpha_ProgDes:
It sounds like a great idea. Most likely for it to be somewhat coherent and organized the Staff are gonna have to give you your own forum. The Lounge won't cut it, I'm afraid.

That's a great idea. I'm not sure the process of setting that up, however. And then again, this is really for beginners, and I'd be partially afraid it would be missed by those who truly need it if we move it off into another section. Perhaps Fruny and the other moderators can voice their thoughts on that. Ultimately I think this "workshop" should go wherever it will be the most use.
Quote:Original post by Bytecoder:
It seems to me that, if you have to tutor these people, perhaps you should be teaching them a better language than C++? Even in commercial game programming, any programmer worth his salt is going to try and spend as much time /away/ from C++ as possible.

I have my opinions about this, as I'm sure most people do. But I will keep them to myself. It's a very simple matter, really. Myself and anyone who is interested in participating will be donating some of our time to help people learn C++. For those people who feel C++ is not the correct language to be learning, well, don’t follow our workshop. Instead, focus your time learning the language you feel is the best choice for you. Its really not a matter for discussion. Do you walk into your high school, undergraduate, or graduate college courses on Java and tell the teacher they should be teaching Python instead? No. I didn't think so.
Quote:
Original post by Forevernoobie:
I’m interested and I have "C++ For Dummies 5th Edition" but I’m not sure If I fall into the tutor group yet. I just finished reading the book and I’m pretty inexperienced. Maybe I could be a tutor on the early chapters and a student on the later ones?

Alas, the line between student and teacher is never very clear in reality. Help where you feel you can genuinely be helpful, and sit back and learn when you feel you're starting to have to tip-toe to stay above water. [smile]
Quote:
Original post by dbzprogrammer:
I would be interested in helping teach this "course," but could I recommend the book, "Beginning C++ Game Programming." It seems to be much more noob friendly and have an outline of what to do.

Thank you for the suggestion. There seems to be quite a bit of discussion about which is the best(tm) book for the workshop. To be honest with you, I don’t particularly like "C++ for Dummies." I merely suggested it because it progresses very slowly, and the chapters are small - two very good things for a beginning programmer. With that being said, I'm going to evaluate a few books for this course, and then I'll update the post on the top with the "official" book for the workshop. Please, if anyone does have suggestions, feel free to post them here.

I do not, however, want to use a free online book. There are many reasons for this, but I'll just simply say no thanks. So if you know of a good introductory C++ book, that people can pick up at Borders, Barnes and Nobles, Amazon, etc...let me know.

Quote:Original post by dbzprogrammer:
Perhaps two sessions? Those who are new to the language, and then one for those who just need a project to work on the sharpen their newly learned skills?

This too is not a bad idea. Ideally, we might eventually have these "workshops" running for beginning, intermediate, and advanced programmers...and perhaps for C++, C#, Java, Python, Lua, etc...There's no reason more willing individuals out there can't come forward to offer their own "workshops." For me, I've only got enough time to do one. And since I'm most educated in C++ and C#, I'll do C++ for now. As for why I'll do beginners first, well, because its the beginning of the workshop series. [lol]
Quote:Original post by TomX:
This seems a good idea and controversy over which book to use is to be expected. The decision is in the hands of the teacher though.

Indeeeeeed. [smile] I'll take suggestions, but when I pick the "official" book for the workshop, the decision will be made. People wishing to offer their own workshops using a different textbook are welcome to do so, but I'd like to avoid splitting the workshops too thin if it can be avoided. Having a large group to ask questions and get answers from is what makes GD.net such a valuable place to learn.

Thanks again for all of your posts. I'll let everyone know the official textbook when its been decided. Please feel free to post your suggestions in the mean time.

Cheers!
Jeromy Walsh
Sr. Tools & Engine Programmer | Software Engineer
Microsoft Windows Phone Team
Chronicles of Elyria (An In-development MMORPG)
GameDevelopedia.com - Blog & Tutorials
GDNet Mentoring: XNA Workshop | C# Workshop | C++ Workshop
"The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" - Il Duche, Boondock Saints
Advertisement
How about some of the resources at this site

it just may help in the process
http://www.pclx.com/itcc/
I know Im kinda rushing things abit but I would love to see one of these workshops for a book like "Core Techniques and Algorithms in Game Programming". The book toches on alot of different topics and leaves plenty of room for disscussion and expansion. I know the beginner workshop must come first though.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
@Noobie: I'm glad to see you're so eager.

Well all, I guess I'm going to head to Borders, B&N, and a few other bookstores in a few minutes to browse the intro C++ books.

Cheers!
Jeromy Walsh
Sr. Tools & Engine Programmer | Software Engineer
Microsoft Windows Phone Team
Chronicles of Elyria (An In-development MMORPG)
GameDevelopedia.com - Blog & Tutorials
GDNet Mentoring: XNA Workshop | C# Workshop | C++ Workshop
"The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" - Il Duche, Boondock Saints
Humm...

This is a great idea :) Maybe this will free up the forums from too much beginners stuff ;) (I'm joking...).

Seriously, maybe i could help a little with teaching / giving explanations about what's in the book or something similar...

Also, i know alot of people thinks that starting with C++/C/Java isnt the best solution. Well, when i started 14years ago i jump right into c++ (just because i didnt know others languages existed ;)). But face the fact, programming isnt about the language its a mentality (a way of thinking), so whatever its C++, VB, C#, ... it'll be hard for anyone to start.

In every languages you have something like functions, methods, variables, (read the basic)... in every OO-languages you will have classes, inherithance, polymorphism,... So is not really about the language but more about what/how the stuff is teached.

Moreover, alot of post in the Beginners forums starts like "I wanna do game, i know that i need to use DX/OpenGL and C++. But i know nothing about c++ someone wanna help me!?". So why not giving to peoples what they want.

If the course are well designed whatever the language teach is C++ or VB or java... every new "noob" ;) will be able to follow... And, since this is aim at beginners i dont see the needs for the more advances concepts of OO and C++ until the last few chapters/tutorials...

Even in school, at least in my university, they start right away with java (they put everything in static methods, so its look like any other procedural language).

So let's do it, alot of new comers are waiting for this !!

Jonathan
I'd be interested in teaching, and I have (I think) all of the books mentioned so far. My teacher had a few books and we just learned from his "notes" and crossreferences, and from online stuff. I don't think there is a panacea among introductory C++ books. I would think that perhaps with this course, a better teaching book might be developed (copyright pending ;) )

I think having to buy a book would deter membership, although I am aware that few free books are very good. I also think that few books in general are good, and as previously implied, I think that maybe we should follow any books loosely, since they are bound to be inadequate in someone's view.

This raises one question in my mind (at the moment) How are we going to handle the constant influx of new people? Someone might join needing to start at the begining of the course when we've all happily progressed to the third chapter by the time this putative person joins. Or, someone with the basic syntax down might join as we start, and be forced to wait around. Making this a linear course will be difficult. Perhaps we could break it into sections e.g. rare n00b, medium rare n00b, well done n00b, fully cooked n00b, that repeat often so anyone needing to start won't have to wait long for their level to come up?
______________________________Stranger things have happened...The Following Sentence is True. The Above Sentence is False.
I think Photonman raises interesting points.

That's why i think the concept should be a little more tutorials-oriented. (Sure proving book references, sites references among others thing is a ++++)

Start at the beginning, what's programming, what's needed, how a program looks like... Then, how a language is composed, how a compiler works, the linker, ...

Then looking at documentation, how the documentation works... (If you give people a fish they will eat for a day. Teach people how to fish, they will eat fish for the rest of theirs lives. That's sounded nice, that's why i write i down. ;) ).

Then, giving people basic assigments. This will allow them to put theirs hand in the dirty thing. This will force them to find solution to their problems. One of the hardest issue of programming is to actually code the thing (Wow i got the best idea of the year... humm... how can i do this now...).

Anyhow, great initiative...
Jonathan
Quote:
Quote:
It seems to me that, if you have to tutor these people, perhaps you should be teaching them a better language than C++? Even in commercial game programming, any programmer worth his salt is going to try and spend as much time /away/ from C++ as possible.

I have my opinions about this, as I'm sure most people do. But I will keep them to myself. It's a very simple matter, really. Myself and anyone who is interested in participating will be donating some of our time to help people learn C++. For those people who feel C++ is not the correct language to be learning, well, don’t follow our workshop. Instead, focus your time learning the language you feel is the best choice for you. Its really not a matter for discussion. Do you walk into your high school, undergraduate, or graduate college courses on Java and tell the teacher they should be teaching Python instead? No. I didn't think so.

Geez, it was just a suggestion. You guys don't need to jump down my throat for it. Fine, you're dead set on teaching C++, that's great; I was merely offering up a suggestion which, I might add, is directly applicable to the topic at hand. Thank you and good night.
I'm interested in teaching, but I'm FT employed now and thus would likely only have time on weekends.
I'm also interested in teaching. If it's just a matter of setting a bunch of questions to explore the facets of a concept, and answering questions from students (which I do from time to time anyway) then it sounds like a doddle.

Also, I vote against using any of the For Dummies books (like, ever). I read C++ For Dummies back in the day when I was trying to transition from C to C++, and aside from maybe one chapter (about inheritance, demonstrated with kitchen appliances, which made the concept click for me), it was trash.

It shouldn't be too hard to set up a dedicated forum for this...

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement