C++ Workshop - Data & File Streams (Ch. 17)

Started by
19 comments, last by Emmanuel Deloget 17 years ago
just post it in the right topic/week/chapter.
The topic will then be placed first so we know some one has posten in an older section.
Advertisement
I'm in the same boat, just found this workshop and loved it. Using my Christmas break to try to get caught up. I haven't started any of the projects yet but I'm on the arrays chapter right now. I'm using the 2nd edition of the text and supplementing it with some other books I have. Just making myself known so when I start the projects I can run any questions by. Its been awhile since I've programmed in C++ (or any language really) so I feel like I'm starting at scratch. It has been a great read though and just what I need to motivate me to get off other games and begin making my own :) You should really keep it going.
Hello all,

First off I must say BRAVO!! for doing something like this. I am a beginner programer and I have read so many how-to books with not much success. The biggest problem is not having a "Mentor" or tutor to show me where and how to implement the code. So far all the books I have read tell you all this code with no direction as to where to put it. So putting together something like this is just wonderful. I thank you for doing something like this.

I am starting from the beginning since I just found the thread so hopefully my questions can be answered from the previous reply's. Thank you again!!
Just stopped by to say that I'm in the same boat as some of the guys who posted here before me.

I hadn't known about this workshop for that long, but I have been following it for the last few weeks. Just wanted to thank jwalsh and all the other tutors that have helped us beginners so much, with absolutely nothing to gain from it.

I hope to see the workshop continue!

My best regards to all!
I just wanted to say hello to everyone, well.. assuming there's an everyone left. I stumbled onto this forum last weekend. I really wish I could have been a part of it from the begining. I have about 6 books on C++ and not a one of them explains the language clearly. I've had to concactinate the books together to get as far as I was. I own 2nd and 4th edition of 21 days, and after browsing the forums while reading the book, most of the fog I was seeing through is clearing up. I want to thank ALL of the mentors and JWALSH for organizing and planning this workshop. Pointers at one time had a 100% evasive manuever stat against me. After reading through the forums, heh, pointers still suck, but they only evade me about 10% of the time now. I hope to get caught up with everyone this weekend, but it's alot of material to catch up on. It may not be a realistic goal. Not to mention, I haven't attempted to do either of the projects yet.

To all those that have played a helping hand in the publishing of this forum, my sincerest thanks and appreciation.
What you said?
Alas, I have returned. Better late than never, the remaining chapters will be posted, along with a postmortem to help other workshop authors avoid some of the mistakes I made and the difficulties I encountered.

Cheers!
Jeromy Walsh
Sr. Tools & Engine Programmer | Software Engineer
Microsoft Windows Phone Team
Chronicles of Elyria (An In-development MMORPG)
GameDevelopedia.com - Blog & Tutorials
GDNet Mentoring: XNA Workshop | C# Workshop | C++ Workshop
"The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" - Il Duche, Boondock Saints
I'm all like, "hey, good to see you back jwalsh! We misssed you!"

Now we are going to redirect C++ learner to the workshop again [smile]

(did I say that I'm happy to see you again on these boards?)
Haha, thanks Emmanuel. Good to be back.

I'll be out of town for a week to visit my wife's grandfather in Oregon. (He's having open heart surgery). But when I return next weekend I'll post the remaining chapter threads, and the postmortem.

Quote:Now we are going to redirect C++ learner to the workshop again

Perhaps after the workshop is "completed," it could be converted into a forum about C/C++ and moved up with the other forums in "The Technical Side".

It seems that since C++ is the predominant language of choice for game development, it may warrant its own forum. Then, any questions about the language itself, STL, etc...can be directed to that forum. We could even post in the forum FAQ some questions about C++ vs. C#, C++ vs. Java, etc...regarding popularity in game development, etc...Although, much of this seems right at home in "For Beginners" I suppose.

Just a thought. Not sure what you guys here at GD.net plan to do with the workshop once the remaining chapters have been posted.

At any rate, talk to you later!
Jeromy Walsh
Sr. Tools & Engine Programmer | Software Engineer
Microsoft Windows Phone Team
Chronicles of Elyria (An In-development MMORPG)
GameDevelopedia.com - Blog & Tutorials
GDNet Mentoring: XNA Workshop | C# Workshop | C++ Workshop
"The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" - Il Duche, Boondock Saints

Hey all I am sort of new to c++.. I have been doing a course on it for some time and I think a course that would really get people involved would be a hands on course like that in the book Beginning C ++ Through Game Programming, Second Edition. Here is a link with some Information. http://www.courseptr.com/ptr_detail.cfm?group=Game%20Development&subcat=Programming&isbn=1%2D59863%2D360%2D0

I believe that this is a good book and anyone who wants to get into programming games straight off yet still with a good foundation then i recommend this book.

If you can't afford the book or it is not in stock then take a look at this site:
http://www.gametutorials.com/gtstore/c-3-c-tutorials.aspx

This comes with C++ game Tutorials, C Tutorials, Open GL Tutorials, Direct3d Win32 , Java 350 + tutorails. The C++ ones slowly introduce you into C++ bu pick it up and lead on to make a rpg. Its resonably priced at $60. Downloadable or Can Buy it as Cd form.

Though if you really cannot afford anything take a look at:
http://www.cppgameprogramming.com/cgi/nav.cgi?page=index

This teaches you some basics of C++ and then leads you into simple 2D game development with the Allegro Library. It has quite a welcoming community. Though I have yet to find really indepth tutorials :P

And If you a want to learn or discuss about graphics, coding ect in a smaller environment. Get some nice links and discuss C++ Coding, Multimedia and Other stuff visit my site and forum at. http://dejai.ifastnet.com/

Thank you for you time and I hope that you enjoyed this Post!
http://dejai.ifastnet.com/images/benssig.jpg

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement