02.02 - Game Development Tools

Started by
58 comments, last by Teej 20 years ago

Where can I find a good C++ compiler?

I downloaded one from borland but it seems to be only running in DOS without any text editor or anything. Is there a compiler out there that has an editor built into it that I can download for free?

--"Luck is something that happens to the prepared mind"
--"Luck is something that happens to the prepared mind"
Advertisement
No compiler has a built-in editor
Some compilers come with an editor (that is, an IDE). Check out Dev-C++, which is a package containing the MiniGW compiler and an IDE.

~~~~~~~~~~
Martee
http://www.csc.uvic.ca/~mdill
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
I would warn against Dev-C++. I tried to use it during the tutorial''s first incarnation, but had some serious troubles. I eventually had to give up. This might be due to some inexperience with the program, but I believe it is due to some sort of incompatibility with DirectX. I don''t think Dev-C++ supports it. I read on several other message boards that this was the case. I never could find a way around it. So, I eventually broke down and bought MSVC++. It''s a mighty fine program if you can afford it. But, if you do decide to go the Dev-C++ route it will definitely take some finagling. Oh, and if anyone has actually gotten Dev-C++ to work on the old tutorial or gets it to work on this one, please post it. Thanks. Peace.

Blazeroni
Indeed... I have had some problems getting Dev-C++ to work with DirectX too. I heard there was some kinda way to get it to work, but I couldn''t figure it out, and I ended using VC++ too... I wouldn''t reccomend using this Dev-C++ unless you either are very experienced or is very clever , or unless you can get someone who is to help you. As far as I recall its a pretty good enviroment (though not as good as VC++)...
Oops... double post...

I posted the above...

Edited by - Kirneh on April 13, 2001 8:43:16 AM
hello, four years ago,I got the MSVC++ 2.0 and that´s what i have , .....is it really necessary to use the 6.0 version¿?¿?
and if it´s really neccesary to get the 6.0 version...... , where did you get it¿?¿ did you pay for it¿¿?¿?

than you teej!
what development tools does Id sofware use? do they use DirectX?
Id built quake 3 arena using openGl.
The Tyr project is here.

The Free Borland C++ Builder Compiler

If you do not have much money to buy a compiler, or even if you do, I recommend you the free Borland C++ Builder compiler (nicknamed BCC), that you can download here:

BCC 5.5

It is by far one of the best compiler available as it knows (almost) all the ANSI C/C++ (MS Visual C++ don't).

When it comes to DirectX, BCC users will have to download specific Borland-compatible libraries at Fötsch's website:

Borland-compatible DirectX LIB's

UltraEdit

Being just a compiler, BCC does not come with an IDE. So I suggest you to use UltraEdit to edit your code:

UltraEdit 8.00b

And for an easy to use interface between UltraEdit and BCC, you can use UEMake available by his programmer's site:

UEMake

Edited by - Bifff on April 16, 2001 6:07:19 PM

Any students out there? I picked up a version on VC++ 5.0 Professional when it was hot for $99 from my book store. It was the same one they sell in the stores. Now I think you can get 6.0 if you are a student.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement