OpenGL3.0.. I mean 2.2

Started by
336 comments, last by JMNightmare 15 years, 7 months ago
Quote:Original post by V-man
Quote:Original post by DOS4dinner
Well, at least the current OpenGL book I got a year ago should still be usable. Not that I plan on using it (SDL FTW)

I feel bad for Linux. I use Linux, and now for all general purposes we don't have a decent API. I think we are better off hoping WINE can rewrite the DirectX API than trusting OpenGL.

So...who wants to form UbuntuGL?

Here is what the OpenGL site should really be.

You do understand that WINE's DX library uses GL? WINE doesn't have drivers. WINE is basically an application that opens your Windows EXE as if it was a plain file.

Quote:So...who wants to form UbuntuGL?

How about improving OpenGL?

Yes, I knew WINE uses OpenGL. Wait...Doesn't that mean that if a Windows program uses certain DX9/10 functions that WINE cannot ever hope to emulate them, as OpenGL itself cannot do it?

Advertisement
Yes, I knew WINE uses OpenGL. Wait...Doesn't that mean that if a Windows program uses certain DX9/10 functions that WINE cannot ever hope to emulate them, as OpenGL itself cannot do it?
What can you do in DX9/10 that you can't do in GL?

I think the answer is obvious.
The bigger problem is translating shaders to GLSL. I assume there are a lot of problems in that department. I admit, I'm not a avid WINE user. I mostly run Windows.
Sig: http://glhlib.sourceforge.net
an open source GLU replacement library. Much more modern than GLU.
float matrix[16], inverse_matrix[16];
glhLoadIdentityf2(matrix);
glhTranslatef2(matrix, 0.0, 0.0, 5.0);
glhRotateAboutXf2(matrix, angleInRadians);
glhScalef2(matrix, 1.0, 1.0, -1.0);
glhQuickInvertMatrixf2(matrix, inverse_matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation1, 1, FALSE, matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation2, 1, FALSE, inverse_matrix);
Quote:Original post by Spoonbender
If anything, OpenGL is abusing its monopoly on non-Windows platforms, to sit on their asses and do nothing for the better part of a decade. They can only do that because no alternative exists.

OpenGL is just an API, a technology, a spec. A company can be a monopoly but not a spec.

On the Windows platform, OpenGL doesn't really exist. If you install Windows (2000, XP, Vista), it does properly detect your video card but it won't install the opengl driver. Hmm... why is that?
Stranger still, it does install DirectX and the DirectX diagnostics utility. You get full hw acceleration.

You are so blindled by your hate that Long Peaks hasn't released, that you are resorting to word twisting and ignoring all the crap tactics of Microsoft.
Sig: http://glhlib.sourceforge.net
an open source GLU replacement library. Much more modern than GLU.
float matrix[16], inverse_matrix[16];
glhLoadIdentityf2(matrix);
glhTranslatef2(matrix, 0.0, 0.0, 5.0);
glhRotateAboutXf2(matrix, angleInRadians);
glhScalef2(matrix, 1.0, 1.0, -1.0);
glhQuickInvertMatrixf2(matrix, inverse_matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation1, 1, FALSE, matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation2, 1, FALSE, inverse_matrix);
Quote:Original post by Spoonbender
If anything, OpenGL is abusing its monopoly on non-Windows platforms, to sit on their asses and do nothing for the better part of a decade. They can only do that because no alternative exists.

That is so funny. Reason GL is the only choice is, MS has decided NOT to put DX on those platforms. If DX was on those platform it probably would be used more than GL, sad to say.

Quote:Original post by V-man
On the Windows platform, OpenGL doesn't really exist. If you install Windows (2000, XP, Vista), it does properly detect your video card but it won't install the opengl driver. Hmm... why is that?

Well, it does provide an OpenGL1.1 implimentation on XP and a hardware accelerated via D3D 1.4 version on Vista, which is more than MS have to do as they don't have anything todo with OpenGL.

It's like complaining that MS don't ship Firefox and Opera on their Windows install DVDs.

Quote:
Stranger still, it does install DirectX and the DirectX diagnostics utility. You get full hw acceleration.

OMG! MS in doing what is best for their platform shock!
(you also get full HW acceleration on Vista for OpenGL1.4, again more than they have to do as they have nothing todo with OpenGL).
I have to say the news has annoyed me somewhat and is probably going to make me move towards DX10 when I get my new workstations.

Its a shame they've done this as by the time they actually get their arses in gear, DX will be far in the distance. DX has come along way since the 90's and its sad to say OpenGL really hasn't.

I think a good old DX10 wrapper for OpenGL could be in the offing.

Quote:Original post by rbarris
The wording on the Blizzard slides was intentionally terse (I never like presentations where the presenter is just reading the words on the slides); if you have any questions about the content in that segment I would be happy to try and respond to them.

There are a couple of new features that I'd like to know a bit more about from a game developer's perspective:

Transform Feedback
-I've read the GPU Gems chapter on using transform feedback in D3D10 for increasing the number of morph targets you can blend between for facial animation. Any more ideas on areas where Transform Feedback will be useful?
-Does using Transform Feedback make it harder/easier to balance feeding the pipeline? Is it just a case of "well, I'm fill bound so I can afford a few extra feedback loops at the vertex stage"?

Conditional Rendering
-I'm pretty sure I understand what this does, and how it improves use of occlusion queries by removing the need for the app code to handle the result. It sounds like it'll make using occlusion queries successfully even harder to understand, but the implementation much easier once you understand how to do it. Any tips? Is there any maximum number (or suggested 'best' number) of draw calls that can be queued up as part of a conditional render?

Deprecation Model:
-any tips on handling rollout of apps using different profiles? I've read a bit on this on the opengl.org forums, but I'd be interested in a game developer's perspective.

Edit: almost forgot GLSL [smile]

Removal of Built-In uniforms
-as GLSL has nothing like HLSL/FX's 'semantics' the built-in uniforms were handy for exchanging shaders between apps. Does the ARB have a better solution, GLFX maybe? (sorry, I've been unable to find anything on the recent GLFX update)

Centroid qualifier
-is this for point-sampling?

thanks
[size="1"]
Quote:Original post by mrbastard
Removal of Built-In uniforms
-as GLSL has nothing like HLSL/FX's 'semantics' the built-in uniforms were handy for exchanging shaders between apps. Does the ARB have a better solution, GLFX maybe? (sorry, I've been unable to find anything on the recent GLFX update)

I think that ColladaFX is the official solution.

GLFX is what they are working on, they have been quiet about it lately.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement