The Retro Renaissance Game Development Challenge!

Started by
64 comments, last by scgrn 13 years, 7 months ago
If its 3D most likely not, but iam not to sure what mode X is either.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by The_Neverending_Loop

Mode X is SNES' way to fake 3D.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Faking 3D is A-OK! just make sure it looks blocky...
I think some of it is subjective, but in general I would say its a combination of resolution and things like antiliasing, you could actually notice the pixel of older games
Can you put a hard limit on then, like 256 colors (or 16?) and fixed resolution? No amount of AA is going to make 320x200x16 look good (in modern terms), in fact pixel-art would be ruined by it.

Quote:Original post by d000hg
I think some of it is subjective, but in general I would say its a combination of resolution and things like antiliasing, you could actually notice the pixel of older games
Can you put a hard limit on then, like 256 colors (or 16?) and fixed resolution? No amount of AA is going to make 320x200x16 look good (in modern terms), in fact pixel-art would be ruined by it.

I should of rephrased my original sentence, I meant that they didn't have AA, and retro in this sense isnt restricted to the old NES days, there are a bunch of 2D games that I think still look nice from the SNES, PSX era like secret of mana, or metriod, when it comes to resolution and color initially I was going to put a restriction on this but I decided not to, I'am just going to trust peoples judgement that they produce something with a retro feel it doesnt necessarily have to feel exactly like your playing a sega genesis but if your close enough you pass.
Quote:Original post by Alpha_ProgDes

That's not the mode X I was thinking of. I meant the undocumented VGA graphics mode that necessitated sending data to the VGA card directly to set it up and thereafter accessing the video memory through an annoying "unchained" memory mode. That mode was 320x240 pixels, with 256 colours. And as to the 3D thing, there were flat-shaded 3D games around even before DooM came out. I'm talking about a look similar to Jetfighter II, which IIRC came out in 1990. Sure that doesn't qualify as "retro"? [wink]
Any entry like that would be more then welcomed, and I would actually look foward to it.

You're thinking of Mode 7. Another descriptive name.

Cool idea for a contest, I'm all about retro looking games. I haven't been doing a lot of programming lately, but I've been looking at XNA lately, so maybe I'll give this a shot. No promises though, I'm really lazy.
Quote:Original post by Rixter

You're thinking of Mode 7. Another descriptive name.

Cool idea for a contest, I'm all about retro looking games. I haven't been doing a lot of programming lately, but I've been looking at XNA lately, so maybe I'll give this a shot. No promises though, I'm really lazy.

Oops. You're right. My bad Oberon.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

I think ill be the first one to get the screenshots started, not much yet but I got some of the very prime classes working and I got my little guy (Courtesy of Gameboy and Zelda) Walking around a white void.

Iam looking foward to this contest and I hope to see some screenshots from everyone!...

Ill be updating my journal with information on my progress for anyone interested in that kind of stuff. Good luck to you all.

[Edit] the zelda sprite is just a place holder for now

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement