What Does Everyone Think About The New Site Layout?

Started by
486 comments, last by GameDev.net 13 years, 1 month ago

Not sure what you mean by "animated image preview script" - you mean the lightboxes?

Sorry for being harsh before, I just got annoyed.

I meant the script when you click on embedded images. The screen is covered in a transparent black and a white frame jitters to the center, grows and then finally finally the picture is shown.

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

Advertisement
Disclaimer: maybe it's just me.

Okay, I realize it might not be top priority, but this has been bugging me for quite a while now. The way it is now, that featured article rotation thingy is just plain ugly. Layout wise this should be an eye catcher on the home page, but it just doesn't look attractive at all. And it's too busy and confusing to convey any information quickly.

image1daj.png

Perhaps I'm being too harsh. I still love you guys! :)

I meant the script when you click on embedded images. The screen is covered in a transparent black and a white frame jitters to the center, grows and then finally finally the picture is shown.

Yea, lightbox. Ok maybe there's something that can be done to tone down the animation (I could see it maybe running slow on older comps?) but in general I love them. Especially when you have a post with multiple images, you just click open one and can browse through them all with the arrow keys at a larger size. People have argued for the ability to open images in a new window and I wonder if we can't add some functionality to allow that - probably a middle click. I can admit it can be annoying for one image, but we can't discern between posts with one image (disable lightbox) and posts with multiple images (enable lightbox). And by "we can't" I mean that's just the way IPS works.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

'Endurion' said:

Yea, lightbox. Ok maybe there's something that can be done to tone down the animation (I could see it maybe running slow on older comps?) but in general I love them. Especially when you have a post with multiple images, you just click open one and can browse through them all with the arrow keys at a larger size. People have argued for the ability to open images in a new window and I wonder if we can't add some functionality to allow that - probably a middle click. I can admit it can be annoying for one image, but we can't discern between posts with one image (disable lightbox) and posts with multiple images (enable lightbox). And by "we can't" I mean that's just the way IPS works.

IMO, light boxes are extremely annoying. So much so, I stopped opening images attached to post all together...

I prefer images to open in a new tab... or perhaps give us the option to use lightboxes or not.
486ing for life

http://www.gearcity.info/
http://www.ventdev.com/

'Endurion' said:

Don't get me wrong :)
The browsing images part is completely fine and dandy. Just the white border thingy, I just don't see why it has to be animated at all.

Also, saw the profile info popups. Very nice!

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

Like I said - a new tab option might be feasible. Also I see various "types" of lightboxes around the 'net, some of which snap open right away. So I think we should be able to modify ours? These are all things we'll be considering over the next few weeks. A lot we won't be able to get to until after GDC however.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Thanks, I'm happy when you at least consider it ;)

Another question, since about a week every time I change to a new forum (or back to the forum list) my browser (IE8) gets stuck for a few seconds accessing gamedev.us.intellitext.com. That's rather annoying as well.
Would be nice if you could look into that. There doesn't seem to be anything useful at the URL.

What annoys me is the white pop-out menu underneath your profile. It reveals itself momentarily for every page load.
Latest project: Sideways Racing on the iPad

'Trapper said:

My biggest gripe - and this is actually pretty major - is that I'm finding it significantly harder to read the actual content of the threads. It might be due to a combination of the new choice of font with the spacing.

Yea this has been a big gripe. I personally can't understand it, so it's been pretty hard for me to help fix. But Kevin Hawkins has been messing around the most with the site stylesheets so I would suggest dropping him a PM to talk about it in depth.

On reflection, I think it's merely that I can't stand Arial in smallish sizes and in large doses. I'm experimenting with a custom user stylesheet on top of the GDNet theme and for me just changing the fonts of the post_body to Verdana makes the site a whole heap easier to read.

Personally, my biggest font gripe right now is that the font for the code is too large. This might be a side effect of losing screen real estate to the stupid white bars on either side, but a significantly larger fraction of source code posted now requires horizontal scrolling.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement