Ubuntu

Started by
106 comments, last by Fiddler 13 years, 3 months ago
One thing I'ld like windows to do (+ this has been a bugbear of mine for years), is use the same font rendering method as linux or at least something better than what they have now.
I mean comeone reading text is one of the most common activities you do on a PC
Advertisement
I just installed Ubuntu and I've customized the interface to my liking but I still have one problem. I can't seem to get my second hard drive to show up in the Computer folder. My primary hard dive shows up and the 17 GBs that I dedicated to ubuntu on my secondary hard drive shows up as "File System" but I need to access files on my secondary hard drive but I can access them... How do I fix this?
<span style="font-weight:bold;"><span style="font-weight:bold;">off-topic{</span></span><br /> <br /> <blockquote class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-username="godmodder"><br /> No, no, I understood both him and you perfectly fine. Ofcourse he started it, with his &#39;gtfo&#39;. Nobody should tell me to gtfo on a discussion board, </blockquote><br /> <br /> Nobody told specifically _you_ to gtfo. The full post is:<br /> <br /> <blockquote class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-username="valderman"><br /> &quot;The Linux community&quot; doesn&#39;t want to do anything, other than work on the OS. If you don&#39;t like it, don&#39;t use it; nobody cares. It&#39;s pretty arrogant to think that &quot;the Linux community has to get their shit together and please me - I define what&#39;s useful&#33;&quot;<br /> <br /> Amusingly it&#39;s not going to be long before the number of Linux machines vastly outnumber those running Windows and OSX together.<br /> <br /> As a side note, anyone who thinks that open source means &quot;l33t dude doing whatever&quot; should seriously gtfo of any discussion on the subject until he&#39;s done a little bit of research.<br /> </blockquote><br /> <br /> in reply to no one. I wonder why _you_ feel so much attacked, because &#39;l33t dude&#39; _is_ as much prejudice and misconception as the other examples I gave. But let us stop on that one.<br /> <br /> <br /> <blockquote>the sole purpose whereof is discussion. I can merely conclude that you&#39;re not here to discuss. <br /> Then pls go back and see my other posts.<br /> <br /> <blockquote>You&#39;re here to get your ego boosted by all people who have the same opinion like you do.<br /> I am not in need of this. I am just not amused when ppl post misconceptions or even fud, based on deprecated knowledge, on my favourite topics.<br /> <br /> <blockquote>This is obvious for everyone.<br /> You are not the crowd. I think it is a little bit arrogant to assume that everone shares your opinion. Generalizations and superlatives are always wrong, almost.<br /> <br /> <blockquote>selectively<br /> … because some replies already made fit my opinion already?<br /> <br /> <blockquote>You and him on the other hand just continued to attack me, even personally, <br /> Personally… attacking… I think you need a thicker skin. Because imo, there is no single personal attack in this thread. I&#39;d guess you mean that we conclude that your knowledge is deprecated. But when it is obvious, then it is not a personal attack.<br /> <br /> <span style="font-weight:bold;"><span style="font-weight:bold;">}off-topic</span></span>

I just installed Ubuntu and I've customized the interface to my liking but I still have one problem. I can't seem to get my second hard drive to show up in the Computer folder. My primary hard dive shows up and the 17 GBs that I dedicated to ubuntu on my secondary hard drive shows up as "File System" but I need to access files on my secondary hard drive but I can access them... How do I fix this?

You need your Windows partition to appear on Linux or your Linux partition to appear on Windows? The former should happen automatically. For the latter, you'll need to find an EXT4 IFS driver (I have no idea if one exists).

Needless to say, Windows has awful filesystem support: it can read FAT, NTFS and nothing else. If you need to read Linux or Mac disks, you'll need to hunt for a driver yourself...
Edit: the simplest solution is to save all downloads/music/documents on the windows partition (or another shared partition). This way, you can share them between all systems.

[OpenTK: C# OpenGL 4.4, OpenGL ES 3.0 and OpenAL 1.1. Now with Linux/KMS support!]

Ok, I'm glad you didn't mean to offend me. :)

Look, all I wanted to express in response to this thread was that Ubuntu may not be the ultimate operating system when it comes to some everyday tasks that I feel are important. Ofcourse that's just an opinion, but I've seen so many cases of people giving a presentation on Windows and on some Linux distro (mostly Ubuntu). And most of the time the linux people need way more time to set things up. It's not a good impression when your employer for example sees you're struggling with your system.

This is just my experience ofcourse, but in real life I'd proof it to you by a challenge in presentation setup time :D

If you're interested in trying and trust my word for it: for starting up windows 7, connecting the projector, pushing windows+P and opening the powerpoint it took me 19.7secs on my current laptop.

Actually I would be interested if people tested this specific case and reported results ;)

If you're interested in trying and trust my word for it: for starting up windows 7, connecting the projector, pushing windows+P and opening the powerpoint it took me 19.7secs on my current laptop.

Actually I would be interested if people tested this specific case and reported results ;)

19.7 seconds to do all that, including booting windows? Or what did you mean by 'starting up windows 7'? Just what kind of specs do you have on your laptop if you can boot your OS that fast?
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

Look, all I wanted to express in response to this thread was that Ubuntu may not be the ultimate operating system when it comes to some everyday tasks that I feel are important. Ofcourse that's just an opinion, but I've seen so many cases of people giving a presentation on Windows and on some Linux distro (mostly Ubuntu). And most of the time the linux people need way more time to set things up. It's not a good impression when your employer for example sees you're struggling with your system.

I agree that Linux distros aren't always the best for some everyday tasks. I'm always running into minor issues with Skype, and if you want to rip to flac you have to jump through an extra hoop if you want to be able to seek to the middle of a track (at least if you use Amarok and k3b). However, I really don't get this presentation issue. Is that something that's been fixed since XP? I haven't seen anyone try it with Vista or 7, but in XP there's no end of issues, the most common being movies only playing on the laptop's screen and that dialog asking every few minutes if now would be a good time to restart your computer to install updates. On the Linux side, I plug it into the VGA port on my netbook and things just work. At least, that was the case in Kubuntu. I haven't tried it with openSUSE yet.

'godmodder' said:

I agree that Linux distros aren't always the best for some everyday tasks. I'm always running into minor issues with Skype, and if you want to rip to flac you have to jump through an extra hoop if you want to be able to seek to the middle of a track (at least if you use Amarok and k3b). However, I really don't get this presentation issue. Is that something that's been fixed since XP? I haven't seen anyone try it with Vista or 7, but in XP there's no end of issues, the most common being movies only playing on the laptop's screen and that dialog asking every few minutes if now would be a good time to restart your computer to install updates. On the Linux side, I plug it into the VGA port on my netbook and things just work. At least, that was the case in Kubuntu. I haven't tried it with openSUSE yet.

Multiple monitors has worked just fine on windows for ages, often defaulting to cloning what is on your desktop which is typically the behavior desired on a projector. I don't understand what problems people have with it, especially people who would frequent these forums.

Multiple monitors has worked just fine on windows for ages, often defaulting to cloning what is on your desktop which is typically the behavior desired on a projector. I don't understand what problems people have with it, especially people who would frequent these forums.

The problems I usually see are a result of changes in settings, and things simply not acting as expected/desired. The Overhead and presenter views option tends to cause people the most headaches, (The one where they want PowerPoint to display one screen to the audience, and then another screen with the presenter's notes on the laptop.) as they often end up just cloning the screen.

Of course, one of the other common problems seems to be when the system had been setup for some dual display mode, and the user wants to clone,...

But of course the issue I see the most often stems from resolution errors, where the projector is at one size, and the laptop is at another, and they just don't play nice at all.

(And all this reminds me: I should likely find the time over the weekend to upgrade my netbook to 10.x, it is still running 8.04 or whatever. Multiple monitors doesn't play as nicely as I would have liked in this version, and I changed something awhile ago that now causes my script to make it play nice fail.)
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

'tstrimple' said:

The problems I usually see are a result of changes in settings, and things simply not acting as expected/desired. The Overhead and presenter views option tends to cause people the most headaches, (The one where they want PowerPoint to display one screen to the audience, and then another screen with the presenter's notes on the laptop.) as they often end up just cloning the screen.

Of course, one of the other common problems seems to be when the system had been setup for some dual display mode, and the user wants to clone,…

But of course the issue I see the most often stems from resolution errors, where the projector is at one size, and the laptop is at another, and they just don't play nice at all.

(And all this reminds me: I should likely find the time over the weekend to upgrade my netbook to 10.x, it is still running 8.04 or whatever. Multiple monitors doesn't play as nicely as I would have liked in this version, and I changed something awhile ago that now causes my script to make it play nice fail.)

Right click your desktop, go to properties. You can control the resolution for both monitors, as well as the multiple monitor mode you want to use. Alternatively you can go to the control panel and choose display properties. On Windows 7 they named it "Connect to an external display" under the control panel. It's very straightforward as to my confusion as to why people have problems with it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement