Casual vs Dress interview

Started by
25 comments, last by irreversible 12 years, 4 months ago
I have an interview for a new game job. In every job I have had I have worn a tie etc. Was wondering how many people here do that, and how many you have seen / interviewed people that do that. Not really worried or stressing like some people, just wondering if I am the only one that actually will dress up since I feel it is respectable and its a high paying job (not Burger King).

NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims http://www.pawlowskipinball.com/pinballeternal

Advertisement
Dress up... I see it as a sign of professionalism. My work atmosphere is dress casual but I expect interviewees to dress the part.
Code makes the man
Ask your contact before the interview what is expected, no need to guess.
Depends on the place. I got one job in denim cargo shorts and an XKCD t-shirt. It was a ballsy move in mid summer which I don't recommend in the general case. Extremely unprofessional and too much risk of creating a bad impression. On the other side, you're probably better off not wearing a suit. In our peculiar industry, it falls into the 'trying too hard' stage and brings unnecessary attention to your ridiculous attire. I've heard stories of people being mocked for it years afterwards, friendly but annoying.

Khakis (eg Dockers) and a collared T-shirt in good condition (not wrinkly/messy) are a pretty safe bet for the vast majority of tech jobs, particularly in the games industry. "Business casual" is the goal.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Wear a nice version of what you would normally wear to work. Be careful not to overdress, it can give the impression that you don't know the industry you are trying to get into. In the games industry, and I guess in many "creative" industries, casual wear is the norm, so showing up in a suit and tie when your interviewers are wearing T-shirts and jeans will certainly make you stand out, but in a bad way, and can make the interviewer question whether you know anything about the position/workplace. On the other hand, don't underdress either: Wear nice, clean clothes, maybe go out and buy some new.

If I was being interviewed for a game development job I would wear jeans and a (dress) shirt, but absolutely not a tie. Be yourself and let your clothes reflect who you are. And if in doubt, do as Telastyn suggests and ask your contact person, it shows interest and keenness.
Dress casual... good for every occasion 8-)

I have an interview for a new game job. In every job I have had I have worn a tie etc. Was wondering how many people here do that, and how many you have seen / interviewed people that do that. Not really worried or stressing like some people, just wondering if I am the only one that actually will dress up since I feel it is respectable and its a high paying job (not Burger King).

For every interview I've been on, I always ask what dress is appropriate. Ask the recruiter or whoever has booked the interview for you. For everything in the games industry, the response has always been 'jeans and tshirt is fine' - so I usually go polo shirt + cargo pants. I've never seen anyone interview with a tie, and it would definitely stick out and make you look uninformed.

I always ask. Always. It doesn't hurt to ask, and you get certain confirmation.
If it's a games job (below executive level), wear smart casual.
If it's a non-games job, then wear something similar to what the jobs require (if it's a collar and tie kind of place, wear a collar and tie).

At a games company, dressing up too much is the same as wearing a sign that says "I'd make a great business programmer, I LOVE ENTERPRISE UML LAYERED FRAMEWORKS!!!" or "I just graduated, please train me!"...

I got one job in denim cargo shorts and an XKCD t-shirt.

JORTS!!!
In general, dress 1 level above what their employee dress code specifies. If the code is casual (shorts and t-shirt) then go business-casual (slacks/khakis or a nice pair of jeans and a button-up shirt/polo/sweater depending on climate), if its business casual wear a suit if you have one, if its formal, wear your best suit ensemble.

This simple rule displays that you are serious, but not so overdressed to be mistaken for covering over other shortcomings, or being a tool.

I recently converted from contract to FTE at Microsoft, its casual here so I went business-casual for most of my loop. I met with my manager's manager on the second day, and I went up a half-step or so (dress shirt under a cashmere sweater, still jeans though).

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement