Freedom Engine

Started by
19 comments, last by way2lazy2care 11 years, 6 months ago
Hey guys, have you heard about the Freedom Engine?

I am sorry if this falls under advertisement.
I haven't tried it yet, but I wanted to get a feedback from anyone that has already tested it.
Programming is an art. Game programming is a masterpiece!
Advertisement
If they hadn't lost me at HTML5 (the next big hype joke) they lost me at web based IDE.

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

Its scripted in basic, i have a feeling that it was one of those ugly languages which look like winapi. Not sure though...

I wouldnt like the feeling of having all my code and tools possibly disappear because their server caught fire.

o3o

If they hadn't lost me at HTML5 (the next big hype joke) they lost me at web based IDE.

Frankly, we could use some good HTML5 game engines. Making a game on HTML5 is a nightmare right now, with all the different hacks needed to make sure it works on all browsers and platforms at a semi-decent speed (at least until the next android/ios upgrade). Having a single engine/framework to wrap it all away would be nice.

There are a few rudimentary out there already, but still too early to be viable IMHO.

EDIT: looked at the samples and eh.. basic? really?
Comrade, Listen! The Glorious Commonwealth's first Airship has been compromised! Who is the saboteur? Who can be saved? Uncover what the passengers are hiding and write the grisly conclusion of its final hours in an open-ended, player-driven adventure. Dziekujemy! -- Karaski: What Goes Up...
[s]It seems quite fishy, why are they offering all this stuff for free.[/s] Nevermind, theres ads on the IDE.

I don't know if BASIC is a mickey-mouse language, but otherwise, I don't frown upon this concept at all.

Easiest way to make games, I love LÖVE && My dev blog/project

*Too lazy to renew domain, ignore above links

[s]It seems quite fishy, why are they offering all this stuff for free.[/s] Nevermind, theres ads on the IDE.

Wait, so their business plan is to embed advertisements in the IDE, targetted at developers? Holy niche market, batman!

Yeah.... that's a really bad business plan. When the Freedom Engine team figures that out, I suspect they'll have to drop their development efforts and support for the product. As a developer, would you want to work on a platform which may have an expiration date? Sounds a bit risky to me... But, maybe I just misunderstand what they're doing...
No wait I found more. For $5 a month, you get a whooping 250mb storage.
You can just save all your project files to your 5 GB Google Drive account, in spirit of their "developing games on the cloud" concept.

Easiest way to make games, I love LÖVE && My dev blog/project

*Too lazy to renew domain, ignore above links

If they hadn't lost me at HTML5 (the next big hype joke)[/quote]
hype joke how?
html5 is/will be huge
If Bob were an avid programmer, he'd know he could just host his repository on Github, Bitbucket, or Google Code. He'd also have a development environment he's comfortable with, and he'd make use of a lot of free tools out there.

Unless Bob is horrible masochist who crams everything inside of 10 megabytes and probably keeps a bunch of weird spears and swords and whips and chains in the shed in his backyard where two people went missing last week.

(edit: Removed a comment about writing on a smart phone because it didn't really make sense.)

If they hadn't lost me at HTML5 (the next big hype joke)

hype joke how?
html5 is/will be huge
[/quote]
It theoretically has the potential. In practise it's a patchwork of lots of different parts that are at most randomly implemented in different browsers. Browser forks are a highly required feature, which should not be required at all.

They should've seriously done away with HTML alltogether (it isn't used at all as it was intended initially, just content that is displayed somehow) and created something new from scratch for all the designopaths. In the end we'll arrive at Flash again, only 5 years later with the performance of 10 years ago. That's huge?

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement