Gamedev Users: How many have iOS versus Android

Started by
59 comments, last by swiftcoder 11 years, 6 months ago

Cool.. android is dominating so far. Quite unexpected from my side.

Not from my side, to be honest... At our company ALL developers have an Android phone. ALL buisiness people have an iPhone. So first of all, which kind of people do you expect to answer here? And second... doesn't that say something....(those who DO go Android, those who TALK go Apple)?

Yeah... I'm not too fond of "buisiness caspers" ;)
Advertisement

At our company ALL developers have an Android phone. ALL buisiness people have an iPhone.

Different places, different demographics, I guess. Here, iPhones are popular with women and teens, BlackBerry still rules the business world, and Android, with the lions share, fills in the gaps. Feature phones are vanishing at an alarming rate, faster than I expected. I can't prefix any category with "ALL", however.

Personally, I still prefer my BlackBerry. I've made QNX PBOS / BB10 my platform of choice as far as my game development hobby goes. I'm going to guess that puts me in a very tiny minority here, but that's okay.
I am planning to get an android phone with my next upgrade, but at the moment i'm an iPhone guy.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.
I've heard that before about the QNX platform. I have no experience with it at all but heard that it is a wonderful platform from the folks that brought us cut the rope.
I dislike them both, but I am not going to put myself through Android development hell (especially with Tegra 2 lurking out there (nightmares)) so I only target (and thus own) iOS.
And I had a dream last night in which someone stepped on it and cracked the screen and then refused to buy me another.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

I only own an Android it's a Kindle Fire and I love it because I flashed Android 4.0 to it. But people in my family have iOS stuff and I've used both and liked both. As far as the Android platform vs iOS though, I have to pick Android as my favorite to use. I can do more with it. It's open and I can hack it to do what I want more easily, in fact I have Ubuntu running on my Kindle Fire also.

@L. Spiro I don't know why everyone hates Android development. The libraries are awesome and the whole hardware fragmentation thing isn't too much different from what we have to deal with on Windows.

The libraries are awesome and the whole hardware fragmentation thing isn't too much different from what we have to deal with on Windows.

Hardware fragmentation is much less of a problem on Windows thanks to the significantly higher capabilities than those found on Android devices. You have to deal with a huge variety of different resolutions, screen sizes and capabilities, and a lot of the differences are poorly documented. An application might run perfectly on your test device but very poorly on others and not at all on some.

When compared to the much more limited range of iOS devices it's a real nightmare.

- Jason Astle-Adams

I just use an old-school cell phone.
My phone is a T9 something or other from LG. But, I also have an HTC Evo that I use sometimes without a phone connection. My wife has a Galaxy Exhibit, I think, and I also have a Nexus 7.

So far, I like the Nexus 7, but I don't love it. It seems to be good for drawing pixel art, though.
You damn kids take your Eye Phones or Ear Phones or whatever the heck they are, and get off my lawn!

@L. Spiro I don't know why everyone hates Android development. The libraries are awesome and the whole hardware fragmentation thing isn't too much different from what we have to deal with on Windows.

2 words: Native Development.
My engine is cross-platform, hence not Java.
There is crap support for native apps for Android devices. We don’t even get breakpoints. Debug with ::printf() only! It builds character!
And then there is Tegra 2, whose GPU is riddled with faulty OpenGL ES 2.0 implementation points. However portable you think your shaders are, they don’t work on Tegra 2 out-of-the-box.

It’s just a nightmare to which I refuse to subject myself. Google hates people who develop for Android.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement