GameDev.net 2013! What do you want to see from the site?

Started by
74 comments, last by weymiensn 10 years, 10 months ago

[quote name='Joba Tett' timestamp='1357148559' post='5016765']
A tutorial for C++ game programming that doesn't use VC++ 6.0. I mean, come on, have you guys made a book on C++ in the last 5 years? I have a ton of books on C++ from you, but all are old. So would it hurt to have something new?
[/quote]

Wait what?

Advertisement

A tutorial for C++ game programming that doesn't use VC++ 6.0. I mean, come on, have you guys made a book on C++ in the last 5 years? I have a ton of books on C++ from you, but all are old. So would it hurt to have something new?

Wait what?

8. Have upvoting and downvoting in the CSI forum :D

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

[quote name='Alpha_ProgDes' timestamp='1357017239' post='5016277']
A system set up for getting points for finishing a game
[/quote]

You're going to need to give us more than that. I have no clue how you would like to see this set up. Define "finishing a game" - is it releasing onto some sort of marketplace? Meeting pre-defined goals outlined in a previous journal entry? Putting something online people can download and play in some capacity on their machines?

[quote name='Alpha_ProgDes' timestamp='1357017239' post='5016277']
GD Showcase for 5.
[/quote]

I've been wanting to bring the showcase back for the past 2 years but no one has been able to dedicate time to it. Once article publishing is back up and running, this is next on my list, personally. I hate seeing all the great journal updates on projects and not being able to give authors a place to really show off the game itself

[quote name='Servant of the Lord' timestamp='1357021974' post='5016294']
I'd also like to repost them on GameDev.net without giving up my rights to them, and this is how I'd like it to happen:

1) I want to create them, update them, edit them, without having to bother moderators or staff, in the same way I create, update, and edit my GameDev.net journal.
2) I want them to appear on my user profile, right with 'Posts' and 'Journal' and etc... (see pic), as well in the "Find content" page.

Everyone's articles would be sorted by highest ranking in an "Articles" hub, and anything that gets negative ranking of, say, -5, just disappears from the main "Articles" hub (while still being accessible through an individual user's 'Content' page).

I know there already is an article submission system (which I've never used yet), but I want it to be easy enough that I can post content without having to go through a hassle to do so. Without having to even really think about it.

Many people have article or tutorial-like content in their journals already. This is great! I want to separate the time-irrelevant content (Articles, tutorials, code snippets) from the content that is time-sensitive (updates on projects, or talking about life).

To encourage this, journal posts should have a "Post as article" button that users can press that (through a tag or something) post the article both as a "Article" and a journal entry at the same time.
[/quote]

Under the new publishing system, you'll be given the ability to edit and maintain your articles yourself. So it would be like making and editing a journal entry but only visible in the articles system. Creating an article from a journal entry shouldn't be a problem, as a similar feature already exists for forum posts to be made articles, although I had that disabled until we can get the proper filters in place.

[quote name='Daaark' timestamp='1357035476' post='5016325']
What happened to the articles? And the front page? Although I prefer no front page to the old spam, ad filled age that was just links to other people's content. It's all been replaced with just a forum that has shoehorned social media widgets and links to other people's businesses. Do articles on making games conflict with sending traffic to your affiliated partners?
[/quote]

I'll make it clear right now that sponsored articles and external article links aren't going away. They also will not nor have ever taken the place of original content. I have never bumped original content to showcase an external link or sponsored article. Most of the time, external links and sponsored articles were merely all that were available for publishing (and paying our bills). Also, the majority of external links were simply authors not wishing to re-publish on GDNet rather than us posting on behalf of some affiliate partner. Original content is extremely difficult to publish, not for lack of authors but for lack of completed work. I feel confident saying that than 75% of people who have contacted me over the past 10 years looking to write an article or series of articles has failed to actually deliver. And this has nothing to do with any sort of submission process or technical issue on our end - life or work simply get in the way. My record for chasing after an article author stands at 3 years. 3 years of reminding him of his promise and desire to write an article for the site. Over the past 2 years since the site change to IPS and internal reorganizing I have not had anywhere near the time needed to devote to managing authors interested in writing for us, hence publishing has ground to a halt. Technical issues with IPS have not helped. Now we're putting the finishing touches on a new system that will ease a lot of the burden involved in the final stages of editing, approving and publishing articles so I can return to spending time working directly with authors on content, both original and pre-existing they want to get extra exposure on through GDNet.

[quote name='Servant of the Lord' timestamp='1357066343' post='5016434']
I'd also like getting notifications when people post a comment on someone's journal that I've also posted a comment on.
[/quote]

Click the Watch button at the top of a journal entry and you can set notifications for when a comment is added to the journal entry

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

I'd also like getting notifications when people post a comment on someone's journal that I've also posted a comment on.

Click the Watch button at the top of a journal entry and you can set notifications for when a comment is added to the journal entry

Where's that? I can "Follow" an entire journal, but I can't see any way to subscribe to comments made on a specific entry. All I see is a "Report Entry" button at the bottom of a entry (and the social media buttons), but I don't see any button at the top. Screenshot?

I'd prefer it to auto-subscribe me to journal entry comments if I post a comment, in the same way I auto-subscribe to threads I post in. Sometimes I post a comment in a journal I definitely don't want to follow, but I do want to follow that one entry, since I'm now participating in a conversation. I just can't find a way to do it, without remembering to check the entry manually.

[quote name='Servant of the Lord' timestamp='1357171226' post='5016903']
Where's that? I can "Follow" an entire journal, but I can't see any way to subscribe to comments made on a specific entry. All I see is a "Report Entry" button at the bottom of a entry (and the social media buttons), but I don't see any button at the top. Screenshot?
[/quote]

Oh seems the update wiped the improvements we made to the journal entry pages. I'll log the issue for Mike to look at. Individual entry pages are supposed to show widgets like the main journal page does as well as the follow button

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Does IP.Board have a client-usable API (and also provide push notifications)? I wouldn't mind exploring building an Android app (and later iOS app) if GameDev.net isn't going to have an official one, but I don't even know if really possible/practical. It would be pretty cool to have an app though, I think. Alpha_ProgDes mentioned about everything I can think of, but here's my list:

• Classic Black Theme
  • Points breakdown in the name header
  • People using the upvote/downvote system more
  • A way to list published games you've worked on
  • GD mobile app?
  • No adds for GDNet+ (I'd get one if there were absolutely no adds)
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
Does IP.Board have a client-usable API (and also provide push notifications)? I wouldn't mind exploring building an Android app (and later iOS app) if GameDev.net isn't going to have an official one, but I don't even know if really possible/practical. It would be pretty cool to have an app though, I think. Alpha_ProgDes mentioned about everything I can think of, but here's my list:

I'd be interested in this as well, although in my case from a WP8 point of view as I've drunk of the (rather nice tbh) Kool-Aid ;)

[quote name='Cornstalks' timestamp='1357182814' post='5016950']
No adds for GDNet+ (I'd get one if there were absolutely no adds)
[/quote]

I wonder if no ads means we'd have to pay a little more to offset that. Free = All ads, all day. GD.NET+ = some ads, but not intrusive, current price. GD.NET ? = No ads, whatsoever, but 10-15% more.

You're going to need to give us more than that. I have no clue how you would like to see this set up. Define "finishing a game" - is it releasing onto some sort of marketplace? Meeting pre-defined goals outlined in a previous journal entry? Putting something online people can download and play in some capacity on their machines?

I've been thinking about this as well. What I've come up with so far is having in a user's journal or in Your Announcements (or a dedicated page/section), a user provide the following:

1. Name of game
  2. Name of developer or group
  3. Screenshots
  4. Link to media (demo, gameplay, trailer video)
  5. Link to webpage and/or finished product
  6. Status
  7. Tags (2D, 3D, Platformer, Clone, PacMan, Mario, Shooter, etc)

If the Status is Finish or Complete, then the user gets X points. Either this will be verified or will be on the honor system. If the person is found to be lying or fraudulent, appropriate actions will occur.

If this system works, then the GD Showcase would just be a page listing all of the Journals or Your Announcements that are tagged games, resource, or Y. And the users will be able to filter through the games/resources based on the tags.

So how crazy does this sound?

If the Status is Finish or Complete, then the user gets X points. Either this will be verified or will be on the honor system. If the person is found to be lying or fraudulent, appropriate actions will occur.

Sounds good, except for users putting up five pong clones and getting points.

I think users should rate the game in terms of accomplishment ("Good work (beginner project)", "Great work (advanced project)", "Impressive work").

Each "Good work" from users gets the creator +3 points, each "Great work" gets +5 points, each "Impressive work" gets +10 points.

If a dozen people vote, that's a fairly easy >30 points to encourage users.

Also, if the source code is available to download (even if it's under a non-opensource license), you get an extra 2 points per vote.

Or something similar, the details can be hashed out later - but users should effect the rating of people posting stuff, not the poster, and it shouldn't have to be moderated by staff through punishments, just the community through upvotes or (for projects) a lack thereof.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement