Serious Procrastination Problems!

Started by
31 comments, last by Icebone1000 11 years, 2 months ago
I find that once I start coding, I almost always enjoy it. It's just very hard to START doing it. What I have done to combat this is constantly have my code open. I never close it. Even when playing games, its open in the background. A lot of times what will happen is I'll think of something small to do and since it is already open, I'll make a quick change. Then that will lead to another change. Before I know it, I've just coded for 3 hours, enjoyed my time doing it, and made a lot of progress.

Once you can get over the initial hump of STARTING, you probably already won the battle. There have been so many nights when I didn't feel like coding and just forced myself to do it anyway and then 5 hours later (when I should have been sleeping) I was still working (and enjoying it).

Yup, starting is the hardest for me. I should try what you do.

A related question for you guys, have you ever procrastinated by playing your own game you're working on? The most guiltless procrastinating I've ever done.

Advertisement

I've done that with every thing I've coded so far. Just toying around.

I will need to get days of 40hs if I ever code something really playable.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

I put the pro in procrastination. Most of mine seems to come from me being unmotivated. You need to find out how to motivate yourself.

I have that problem ALL THE TIME at school and getting off my lazy rear and doing something with myself (learning c++) does anyone have any suggestions for overcoming this problem
I have that problem ALL THE TIME at school and getting off my lazy rear and doing something with myself (learning c++) does anyone have any suggestions for overcoming this problem
Just do it. Discipline.

I honestly think that conscription should be brought back in some form.

Are you being taught C++? If not you could try an easier to understand language. C++ is harder to understand on your own than a lot of other languages, though I know a lot of people disagree.

Whenever I feel the urge to procrastinate, I stop and try to push it away.

Maybe take a nap, watch Tiny Toons or MacGyver, or eat.

If the show is over and I still feel some urge to procrastinate I go all-out in my anti-procrastination campaign. I post on forums, browse the Internet, play piano, go shopping—it’s a full-on anti-procrastination attack.

After a few hours my procrastination didn’t know what hit it and I can get back to work.

You just have to learn how to take charge of your procrastination and show it who’s boss.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

I admit I may have a procrastination problem, though not when it comes to actually writing music.
Python Blue - composer available for work

Official Website
Bandcamp

I've been meaning to say something about procrastination... Finally got around to it.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

If you were studing business or science, it would be completely obvious that playing games instead of working on your assignments is a bad idea. I understand where you are coming from with the being exposed idea, but you can probably see alomst everything new in the first 10-15 minutes of the game. You should spend less time looking at the edge, and more time getting closer to it.

The people who made those games made them by making them, not playing them.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement