Started by
4 comments, last by riuthamus 11 years, 2 months ago

hi

i have painted this zeppelin to practice

zeppelin_by_forenkazan-d5tgh0r.jpg

i hope i can get enough critiques to improve my drawings

Advertisement

Hello Forenkazan!

Essentially, it looks like you have a good start but aren't done. I'm not sure what style you are going for, but I think even cartoony style would have more detail, like a propeller or windows on the gondola. I would make sure you have a few pictures of zeppelins or blimps for reference, otherwise it's easy to forget things- especially when you're just starting.

The other main thing I think you should work on is lighting and shading. Think about a zeppelin in the sun high in the sky... it would be really bright on top with bottom cast in shadow. The basic idea is to pick a light source and make sure everything is shading according the that source. It takes some practice, but is totally worth it for making art look more "real". Here's a site that covers the concepts in much more detail: http://www.artinstructionblog.com/drawing-lesson-a-theory-of-light-and-shade.

Also, what software are you using?

Keep at it!

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

Like Prinz said, you really need to learn lighting. Take a look at this markup I did in about 2 min

gallery_1_8_16725.jpg

This is just basic lighting with a front face source ( like you had originally )

Hi,

I am a 2D and 3D fanatic, so I will say nice start but you have a long way to go. The basics are all there but I feel that you need to slow to a careful, snail's pace.

It looks rushed to me. Get into the dirigible mindset because the Graf Zeppelin was not a blimp. A dirigible has actually few similarities to a blimp in the many parts of it. The internal skeleton of a dirigible makes a drastic difference in the appearance details compared to the blimp. As a semi-professional, I can assure the reader that research is a huge part of the process to make large vehicles such as a Zeppelin. Now, if you intend to make one of the most recent Zeppelin crafts, then you are closer, because composite materials have made them appear more blimp in appearance than the past models.

As a reference, a 3D model of the Graf Zeppelin would take 50 - 150 hours of research and several hundred more hours of creation to really give it justice. I would charge a professional game developer thousands of dollars for a realistic, animated, and user-operated version.

For a nice 2D model, you could cut all that to about 1/4 of the above estimates. This would include putting it into the game in alpha. A 2D editor work would include some assisted tools and brush strokes. Gradients would help you much, as a tip.

Make the parts in the background first, preferably by 2D editor layer, and parts in the foreground last - all the while using an outline underneath as a guide layer. GIMP is very nimble with the layers.

A nice start you have there, so learn and keep up the good work. smile.png

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

Thank you very much guys

i really have benefit from your critiques

i have just finished a tower

i hope you can critique it ^^

Link it up and we can

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement