PS3 games in C++..

Started by
31 comments, last by kks21199 11 years, 1 month ago

Ironically enough, Sony started an indy program today. There is a form to fill out on their site. It covers all their consoles.

Hmmm, is this different from the Playstation Suite (Mobile) SDK they released about a year ago? Granted, they haven't done as well as Microsoft in promoting their indie-friendly SDK to developers. I searched for "Sony Indie SDK" on Google and didn't find anything relevant and new from this week.

I'm not sure. I just followed the link off their twitter feed, and it brought me to a form. I think you had to fill out the form to get any details.

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/306848930052841472

Become a Registered Developer

Why PlayStation?

With the ability to self-publish across PlayStation Network, PS® Vita, and PlayStation Mobile there’s a PlayStation platform for every game. No slotting, no voting. You are the publisher!

Get started in 3 easy Steps!

Fill in and return the Company Information Form.
Review and return the NDA & Tools Loan Agreement (sent to you once we receive your information).
Complete registration for PlayStation DevNet.

The developer relations team will be in contact to work through these steps.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Indie developers in North America: Interested in making a game for PS4, PS3, or PS Vita? Sign up here: <a href="http://t.co/7oQW6Hdxa9" title="http://bit.ly/YWFLj4">bit.ly/YWFLj4</a></p>&mdash; PlayStation (@PlayStation) <a href="https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/306848930052841472">February 27, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Advertisement

I'm not sure. I just followed the link off their twitter feed, and it brought me to a form. I think you had to fill out the form to get any details.

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/306848930052841472

This is the form to buy a Dev Kit.

Yeah, that's the typical route of becoming a licensed developer, which likely involves much red tape and many tens of thousands of dollars worth of fees for things like dev-kits and mandatory QA.

Hello guys, I have a question..How do htey make PS3 games in C++, after learning for a year or less i have learned many things on computer game developing. Now the question is i know how to animate the models give controls to it, but how should i run it on ps3 for testing and the main queation is how can i code it, is there any sample, and I don't wanna use any engines

Hi Sugavanas.

Well let me be the bearer of bad news. Have you made a game yet? Have you made a text game in C++? Have you made a game with graphics? How many games have you made? With what API?

If you can't answer any of these questions (easily) or do not have any evidence that you have not done any of these things, then unfortunately, the PS3 is not for you. I'll have to be harsh and say that XNA (in any of its forms) is not for you either. PS3, XBox 360, Nintendo Wii/Wii U are for seasoned developers. That means developers that have made many** games already. These developers are hired by companies and publishers that have the resources and skill to work with the PS3.

Beginners do not work with the PS3 or Xbox or Wii. They work on Tetris, Pac Man, and Space Invaders. They work on those games on their PC. They download game libraries like SDL 2.0 or SFML 1.6 or SFML 2.0. They get those games finished and completed and show them to the community. They get feedback from the community. They take that feedback and improve their game (see what I did there?).

In short, no more asking about consoles. Any consoles. Show us some games that you made and ask us about that.

**When I say many games, I mean many games. I mean 2D games and 3D games. I mean you've written at least 15 to 20 fully fleshed and completed games. I mean you fully understand things like game loops, animation, input, and game logic. You don't get that understanding and knowledge without writing, creating, and finishing many, many games.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

You can't do anything Playstation related unless you rent out a development kit from Sony, as I said above.

You have a PC, you can make and test PC games.

Night, doesn't the publisher only lease them? That is what I have read all over the place.

No you buy them as the X360 comes with a Visual Studio license and the Sony kits cost 1800 USD a piece, however you do have to be recognised by MS or Sony as an actual developer to get them. You get more then just the devkit by buying one btw you also get access to the SDKs and Help forums.

Really? PS3 kits are 1800 USD? That sounds affordable for a start up company that has been in business for 2+ years.

Daaark, it might just be me, but I think it's misleading to say "you can't do it without Sony's say so", because that's not strictly true in all cases. tongue.png It is entirely possible to write raw C or C++ using PSL1GHT or the leaked v1.92 of the official PS3 SDK and then compile and run programs on the Playstation 3 natively.

I'm a little behind on my PS3 homebrew scene-ology, so I'm not sure if the private key used to sign official software is still a valid means to sign your code to run it on the Cell without modification. IIRC this is a vulnerability that isn't exactly patchable without invalidating all prior officially licensed software on the market in one fell swoop. Maybe this is something the OP can look into.

True, the homebrew scen is a way around it, but in order to build games for the PS3 to sell legally, you still need the SDK, which is what the OP is likely inquiring about.

OP is 14 years old and wants to make hobbyist games for his console. I'd be a little surprised if he has $1,800 in his wallet and an acceptable startup in his closet.

FWIW - Sony's APIs are somewhat similar to OpenGL, so if you want to eventually make PlayStation games then getting a good grasp on OpenGL would be a good start.

Also, the upcoming Ouya console is homebrew-friendly. When that comes out you'll be able to make console games easily without having to pay anyone anything extra.

I notice that we're all avoiding DMCA violations by not telling OP how to work with homebrew. Hopefully he wont just google it and find it himself. (*hint* *hint* *hint*)

In short, no more asking about consoles. Any consoles. Show us some games that you made and ask us about that.

Jesus Christ, dude... Calm down.
void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.
People don't mention homebrew because it's a waste of time, and contrary to what most people want. People don't want to work on things that have an effective audience of 0.

There is no real homebrew scene. It's all people who broke their consoles, porting over other people's code bases (quake 2 on my xbox!? Who cares?!?!"), or writing tic tac toe games you can download, burn and run. They aren't worth the cost of the disc! There are no real tools, no real support, and it doesn't get anyone any closer to their original goal of making a proper game.

That scene is mostly just one of many crutches for people who say they are making a game, but are really just screwing around. Just like half the people I follow on Twitter in my gamedev list who are supposedly working on games, but really they are just switching APIs every week, or rewriting things over and over that solve problems they weren't actually having, all to mask that they have no creativity, and they always get stuck at step 1 of actually making their games.

Well said Daaark. I've been around the homebrew scene since 2004-ish. Tbh, I was one of those people you described. As I grew out of the whole homebrew scene, I started maturing and getting more focused and more serious about what I was doing instead of dicking around.

I won't say that there's no talent or good content in the homebrew scene, but it's mostly full of hackers and stuff. While this is to be expected, I find majority of "homebrew" console games to be quite unprofessional and usually has a very amateur feel to it which makes it harder to take seriously. What I'm about to say next may offend some people (and I could be wrong, so feel free to correct me), and if I do, I apologize and hope that you'll forgive me, but what's worse about the homebrew scene is the type of users they tend to attract. I'm not saying they're all like this, but there are lots of pirates who will pirate your game, leak it to their buddies and torrent the living heck out of it like there's no tomorrow. Of course pirates are everywhere, but I noticed that they tend to gravitate to that scene. Well, after that silly rant, I had to stop and say to myself "that's right sherlock, pirates need hacked consoles to pirate their shiznit!"

I thought it was the most awesome thing ever (being able to run open source PC games on an Xbox1 HDD), but given my reasons above that's why I backed away from it.This is just my opinion though. These days I strive to keep my work a step above that to say the least by avoiding the homebrew style and when necessary, avoiding the "indie" look.

Shogun.

Hello guys, I have a question..How do htey make PS3 games in C++, after learning for a year or less i have learned many things on computer game developing. Now the question is i know how to animate the models give controls to it, but how should i run it on ps3 for testing and the main queation is how can i code it, is there any sample, and I don't wanna use any engines

Hi Sugavanas.

Well let me be the bearer of bad news. Have you made a game yet? Have you made a text game in C++? Have you made a game with graphics? How many games have you made? With what API?

If you can't answer any of these questions (easily) or do not have any evidence that you have not done any of these things, then unfortunately, the PS3 is not for you. I'll have to be harsh and say that XNA (in any of its forms) is not for you either. PS3, XBox 360, Nintendo Wii/Wii U are for seasoned developers. That means developers that have made many** games already. These developers are hired by companies and publishers that have the resources and skill to work with the PS3.

Beginners do not work with the PS3 or Xbox or Wii. They work on Tetris, Pac Man, and Space Invaders. They work on those games on their PC. They download game libraries like SDL 2.0 or SFML 1.6 or SFML 2.0. They get those games finished and completed and show them to the community. They get feedback from the community. They take that feedback and improve their game (see what I did there?).

**When I say many games, I mean many games. I mean 2D games and 3D games. I mean you've written at least 15 to 20 fully fleshed and completed games. I mean you fully understand things like game loops, animation, input, and game logic. You don't get that understanding and knowledge without writing, creating, and finishing many, many games.

ya, i have made games with unity and cryenfgine with c#, for c++ i am currently making a game with Directx 11, i am asking this question because when i finish the pc game i want to start with ps3. I want to make a video game which will atleast run for 10 mins with all the action for pc

True, the homebrew scen is a way around it, but in order to build games for the PS3 to sell legally, you still need the SDK, which is what the OP is likely inquiring about.

no i am not going to sell them or publish them, i am just going to work on it and make my self ready and after that i will buy the sdk

OP is 14 years old and wants to make hobbyist games for his console. I'd be a little surprised if he has $1,800 in his wallet and an acceptable startup in his closet.

i don't have 1800USD with me, but if I can do it my father will buy me, he has bought me almost everything I want when i make the things

Well said Daaark. I've been around the homebrew scene since 2004-ish. Tbh, I was one of those people you described. As I grew out of the whole homebrew scene, I started maturing and getting more focused and more serious about what I was doing instead of dicking around.

so did u buy the ps3 license or what

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement