Women vs Tropes in Video Games

Started by
81 comments, last by AoS 11 years, 1 month ago

How do you know this is populated by intelligent developers?

Simple. I've seen evidence of their intelligence in the work they've done, the answers they give and so on.

Are there idiots on here? Of course. But the majority of people I've encountered on this site are smart.

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
Advertisement

I can't help the feeling that most of you would be responding in a different way, were she either not female, or not working on this particular issue...

Yep, you nailed it. I'm much more tolerant of long winded, yet vapid cases when it comes to men. That's why I have a poster of Charles Krauthammer in my room.

"You can't say no to waffles" - Toxic Hippo

I can't help the feeling that most of you would be responding in a different way, were she either not female, or not working on this particular issue...

Yep, you nailed it. I'm much more tolerant of long winded, yet vapid cases when it comes to men. That's why I have a poster of Charles Krauthammer in my room.

You say it sarcastically, but there are a lot of people with that exact type of response- Krauthammer poster optional. After all, Charles Krauthammer himself is a wealthy and influential pundit.

-------R.I.P.-------

Selective Quote

~Too Late - Too Soon~

Yeah I'm not really getting this argument. Either swiftcoder isn't reading my posts or is misinterpreting it: I don't give a shit whether she's a man or woman, and I actually do agree with this issue. Personally, ask me any day of the week: I will tell you that this medium needs more female protagonists and it needs to handle them, and all content, a little more maturity instead of always playing to the lowest, visceral denominator for sales numbers. Respectively, consumers need to stop eating the bullshit major publishers keep giving us and ask for something more substantial. A little guilty pleasure is okay, but its sad when its the whole industry. I will say that any day of the week.

What I will also say any day of the week is that if you want to come to the internet, accept $160k, and do a subpar video that's supposedly going to be an intellectual analysis and documentary of a major industry issue like this and have regurgitated wikipedia with no further analysis... I'm sorry, people are going to be upset that its a thing. And yeah, a lot of my criticism points back to the money thing... but that's because its POORLY done for that much money. That's what matters. If it was actually engaging, if I learned something new or radically different or saw things from a new perspective, or even saw this as a good way to introduce a newbie to the topic I would not even slightly care how much moolah she was rolling in. But then on top of that she won't even have the commentary about it- I'm sorry, this chick is kind of a hypocrite. And it makes people who backed that campaign looking for something substantial possibly lose interest in backing other, legitimate projects which is something that could legitimately hurt the indie community since there are a LOT of this community that has done great stuff with Kickstarter funds. Not to mention all the people who probably didn't back it, but saw all the coverage OF it and now sees that, yeah, Kickstarter is where unworthy talent goes to get paid apparently. If anything I'm angry because I do, in fact, care about the topic and the platform she earned the money from.

And if I seem verbally abusive, please someone tell me. I AM angry about it, but like... not at you guys or anyone on this forum. I was only posting here for discussion's sake, because for the aforementioned reasons I kind of care about the topic in general. So apologies if anyone was offended by the way I said something or how my attitude came across.

On a side note:

I haven't yet had a chance to watch the video in the OP, but I did happen across this interesting video of someone hacking donkey kong to reverse the character roles today.

This is really cool and kinda sweet some dad did this for their girl. Bravo to that dad.

AniMerrill, a.k.a. Ethan Merrill

What I will also say any day of the week is that if you want to come to the internet, accept $160k, and ...

...I AM angry about it....

Why on earth would you be angry?

A youtuber with an existing channel and a large following put their hand up and said, hey guys I want to do this silly little niche project, if I can make 6 grand off it then I'll break even and be able to forge ahead with no worries.

Then people in that niche threw 26x more money at her than she needed, making it a very successful business for her, no doubt funding her work for the next many years.

So fucking what? She didn't ask for 26x more than her expenses. She didn't promise to expand the project if more money was thrown at her. She has fans, they gave her a lot of money and it has nothing to do with you.

People who backed it knew who she was and what kind of content she produced. She was already making these kinds of feminist pop-culture videos at that point, and already had a fan-base -- it's these people that funded her, not you.

Are you angry when people win the lottery?

Are you angry when millions of people rush out to buy the latest "Call of Honor: Medal of Duty", giving the publisher 100x their expenses while receiving the same poor quality turd they're happy to swollow every year?

Are you angry when the people behind Nicky Minaj or Justin Bieber or One Direction do the same?

You might not like the videos, but thousands of other people do.

As for comments on YouTube -- everyone knows that youtube comments are only 2nd to 4chan when it comes to useful discourse. It's not a medium for conversation or debate at all, so arguing that disabling comments there has stifled debate is ridiculous.

Second, when she launched her kick-starter, she was inundated with hate-mail from anti-feminist "gamer" dick-weeds, many of whom went so far as to make death threats against her. 4chan in particular had a field day with her. She has good reason to believe that youtube comments will be full of the worst kind of abuse. In fact, the main reason that she received so much funding was because the severity of this harassment turned it into a big news story, and many people decided to over-fund her in order to show their support and solidarity against the misogynist hordes attacking her!

If you really want to join the conversation, you're free to do so within the little feminist communities which the series is targeted at / made for / funded by, such as in the tumblsphere or facebook, or on forums like this.

So basically it seems that people here fall into two camps.

• The video wasn't that good or thought-provoking.
  • I'm mad that I can't make $160k off a random idea that other people have done for free.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Why on earth would you be angry.
A youtuber with an existing channel and a large following put their hand up and said, hey guys I want to do this silly little niche project, if I can make 6 grand off it then I'll break even and be able to forge ahead with no worries.
Then people in that niche threw 26x more money at her than she needed, making it a very successful business for her, no doubt funding her work for the next many years.

So fucking what? She didn't ask for 26x more than her expenses. She didn't promise to expand the project if more money was thrown at her. She has fans, they gave her a lot of money and it has nothing to do with you.

People who backed it knew who she was and what kind of content she produced. She was already making these kinds of feminist pop-culture videos at that point, and already had a fan-base -- it's these people that funded her, not you.

Are you angry when people win the lottery?
Are you angry when millions of people rush out to buy the latest "Call of Honor: Medal of Duty", giving the publisher 100x their expenses while receiving the same poor quality turd they're happy to swollow every year?
Are you angry when Nicky Minaj or Justin Bieber or One Direction do the same?

You know what I have to say to that... that's a pretty fucking reasonable argument. I kinda feel like a dick now, legitimately.

Although to be fair, I do feel angry when people win the lottery, etc etc etc. And its the same anger I feel about this. Its because I care about artistic integrity, I really do. And on top of that, for being a subject that she's really passionate about- one that's actually kind of important -she really gives a shallow delivery and brings nothing new to the table. So its like... in addition to just kind of getting an unfair flow of cash and doing nothing productive with it, she also poorly delivers about a social issue that deserves better discussion than her sensationalist style.

And why I'm angry: because gaming isn't just a hobby to me. Game development isn't a joke. I believe it is an art form. One that merits ACTUAL discussion about the problems of the media, how it can be improved, and how we can venture into parts of the human nature that could NEVER be touched upon by literature, film, music, or any other medium because video games are an active medium, not a passive one. Am I a little over defensive: yeah, I guess. But I'm not just some nerd or dork sitting in a dark room all day playing classic Mario or Sonic, I'm losing sleep for days and weeks at a time trying to make a goddamn piece of art that means something. And yeah, I'm a little pissed off because I can't just go on Kickstarter and be like "Oh hay guys, I have a VAGUE idea for this game its gonna be the best ever and deal with important human emotions and issues so give me MOONIES." No. I have to work 40 hours a week serving people coffee, then lose sleep all night because I'm programming a game. I get maybe one day a week to just unwind. Am I jealous or perhaps a little envious: yeah, I'll admit it. I just bought food for the first time in a month and a half, I think I kinda fucking deserve to be.

I just hope if it ever becomes time I want to use Kickstarter to, you know, actually do something productive people will still believe in the stuff being pitched to them.

AniMerrill, a.k.a. Ethan Merrill

Im angry because kickstarter is USA and UK only T_T.

Im angry because kickstarter is USA and UK only T_T.

And Canada :D

But the same way "save the princess" is contorted into sexism, I could contort "zombie apocalypse" as Christian bashing, "legendary hero" as racism and "small time criminal" as anti-capitalist. It's really just simplistic and lazy.

I'm not sure I really follow those other examples. And yes sure, there are sometimes other examples of bad stereotyping in games (or elsewhere), and it's right to criticise those too. "But other people are speeding too, Officer!" isn't a defence, or an argument against her view.

http://erebusrpg.sourceforge.net/ - Erebus, Open Source RPG for Windows/Linux/Android
http://conquests.sourceforge.net/ - Conquests, Open Source Civ-like Game for Windows/Linux

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement