Who are your developer heros?

Started by
29 comments, last by Anri 10 years, 12 months ago

John Carmack, Gabe Newell, Minh "gooseman" Le

For continuing the great trilogy

Advertisement

I don't really have any developer heroes, but there are people who inspire me to program indirectly:

1. Steve Jobs

2. Neil DeGrasse Tyson

3. Holly Griffith

4. Bill Gates

5. Hopsin

6. Hearts Grow (a band)

None of them are programmers, but their work inspires me, and they they remind that there's nothing better than waking up every day and expressing yourself as an artist through a medium you truly love. Sometimes when I go a while without writing code, I forget how beautiful programming really is. These guys remind me that as long as I stick with doing this thing that I love, I'll be able to find that beauty over and over.

Gabe Newell, not for code, but because he understands the development process.

Every time I hear him talk, I am awe struck at how he thinks about how to get the most out of his talent pool.

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

SiCrane.

The dude just knows everything >.<

No one. Sooner or later I find out something I dislike a lot about every "developer hero" (Carmack wen't down once I read certain comments/tweets, Linus is about Open Source but not about "free as in freedom", Stallman its kinda nutty, and so on).

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

SiCrane.

The dude just knows everything >.<

SiCra... Dang, beat me to it

My current game project Platform RPG

After watching Indie the movie i found Tommy Refenes to be one of the persons i look up too,

And Jonathan Blow for the awesome Braid.

Gabe Newell, not for code, but because he understands the development process.

Every time I hear him talk, I am awe struck at how he thinks about how to get the most out of his talent pool.

Do you have any relevant interviews? I'm interested to hear some. I haven't heard him talk very much :/

I'd say John Carmack for 2 reasons, 1. he still writes code and inovates despite technically being able to just sit back and let someone else do it for him. 2. He has a significant impact outside his original domain with his work buildin dem rockets, which I think is just awesome.

What? After all these reply no Andre LaMothe?

Other than the names already mentioned, my first hero was Andre LaMothe. My first game programming books is Secret of the Game Programming Guru (DOS). Or was it Tricks?

The fact that he is ex-NASA is a bonus point. And when I first know internet (when it was new) and managed to get in contact with him, it was awesome.

Too bad he wasn't as active in his forum as in those early days.

I don't know if it has something to do with how many people (fans?) give him promises as he fight Hasbro, but not much people follow suit, even in tiny contribution.

I wonder what will happen if there is kickstarter back then. Andre would have win.

Sony/Bleem/ and the other emulator tells that even if you are right, you can still lose. Sigh.

Oh, and Ken Silverman.

I play his early demo game, and to realize his age, it was like, awesome!

Ken Labyrinth might look like 'programmers art' but that is the engine for future Duke Nukem 3D!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement