PUTT Updates and Finals Thread

Started by
94 comments, last by ml_ 10 years, 6 months ago

Whipped up some concept art on the game field. The background will be animated, meaning the ball objects will fly around with mixed velocity giving some cool effect. I definitely feel the paddles are to bland. They'll get some more graphics as soon as i figure out how they'll look.

yTxxU9F.png

Omg, zombie! Zomgbie.
Advertisement

My favorite program for making game graphics (I am not an artist!) is Inkscape: http://inkscape.org/

I find that using a vector graphics program allows me to really tune the graphics to get what I am looking for. There is also a lot of effects that you can apply to the images and it is all fairly painless. Working with something like GIMP or Photoshop for me is hard because I am not good at traditional painting.

The main thing I try to keep in mind when working on a game is color schemes. I like to try to make all of my colors work together. A good way to do this is something like http://colorschemedesigner.com/

Here is a "behind the scenes" look at my process of creating artwork in Inkscape:

[attachment=18319:galaxiesbehindthescenes.jpg]

I have been experimenting recently with creating an animated background using pixel shaders:

It is still a heavy work in progress, but it is sort of a proof of concept :).

[attachment=18351:Screencast.wmv]

Messed up and recorded it without sound, and don't feel like going back and fixing it right now, lol. Anyway, just showing the start menu is functional (will make the Instructions screen more in depth and appealing later). Will probably upload a video of the game screen this week.

The absolute quickest collision detection and resolution I could come up with:

[youtube]http:

[/youtube]

Edit: Isometric 2D is allowed right? Yes? Ok good. http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/9025/qn9b.png

Early build of the game so far. Missing the actual gameplay (No paddles!), but it's more as a proof of concept. It has some obvious bugs that'll be corrected for the next build

Not really sure how to get youtube embedded here, so here we go:

Omg, zombie! Zomgbie.
I'm making a html5 rendered tennis game called "HighwayPong".
  • The cars are driving on two sides of a road, bouncing a bomb between them,
  • There will be other cars (and trains perhaps) that might come and ruin your "bounce" so that it comes back at you.
  • The bomb has a timer, when it hits 0 all adjacent cars will blow up!
  • If your car blow up you loose 3 points. If you miss a ball/bomb you will loose 1 point
  • Powerups will be located on trucks and so and will stuck on the bomb if it hits them. The ball will then change color and give the player a boost of some form.

Powerups are:

• OverTime: add some time to the timer so that you can catch the bomb in time without blowing up. Press D.
  • InstaKill: when you hit an explosive vehicle (red fuel canister) it explodes and all adjacent cars will blow up.
  • BallsOfSpeed: when you hit a police car the ball will gain speed.
  • SloMo: when you hit a ice-cream truck or hit A key, the ball will slow down.

Gallery:

||==\ || /\ || ||

|| || || // \\ \\ //

|L==/ || |====| YY

|| || || || ||

|| LL==== || || ||

========================

|| http://mip-map.se/hwtennis/ ||

========================

||\ || /==\ || ||

||\\ || || || || ||

|| \\| || || || ||

|| || || || \\ /=\ //

|| || \==/ \// \//

I have been very busy and have not had a lot of time to work on my game, but here is a new screenshot:

[attachment=18409:galaxiesgui.jpg]

I'm making a html5 rendered tennis game called "HighwayPong".
  • The cars are driving on two sides of a road, bouncing a bomb between them,
  • There will be other cars (and trains perhaps) that might come and ruin your "bounce" so that it comes back at you.
  • The bomb has a timer, when it hits 0 all adjacent cars will blow up!
  • If your car blow up you loose 5 points. If you miss a ball/bomb you will loose one point
  • Trains (if implemented) would run in the middle, blocking the path so that you have to be very quick to respond to the more rapid bouncing.
  • Powerups will be located on trucks and so and will stuck on the bomb if it hits them. The ball will then change color and give the player a boost of some form.

A problem is that the player who gets the meeting traffic will have shorter time to respond :/

EDIT: you can try it here:

You can see screenshots here:

Mippy,

Your game has a nice concept but I noticed the following:

1. I do not like how the cars do not go to the end of the screen.

2. The red circles seem to get in the way.

3. The bomb delay is too short in my opinion.

4. The bomb moves very slowly.

5. You can not control the direction of the bomb using the paddles.

6. Try pressing space quickly, the cars and bombs seem to duplicate.

7. I never saw any powerups while playing (should introduce them faster).

8. The paddles could also move a bit faster.

Your game has a nice concept but I noticed the following:

1. I do not like how the cars do not go to the end of the screen.

2. The red circles seem to get in the way.

3. The bomb delay is too short in my opinion.

4. The bomb moves very slowly.

5. You can not control the direction of the bomb using the paddles.

6. Try pressing space quickly, the cars and bombs seem to duplicate.

7. I never saw any powerups while playing (should introduce them faster).

8. The paddles could also move a bit faster.

Thx for the detailed feedback :) I agree with all of them and I'll work to implement them!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement