PUTT Updates and Finals Thread

Started by
94 comments, last by ml_ 10 years, 6 months ago

Had fun this evening:

http://test.staunsholm.dk/icecube/

[attachment=18441:Screen Shot 2013-10-19 at 01.25.15.png]

[attachment=18440:Screen Shot 2013-10-19 at 01.27.25.png]

Now, all I need is to turn it into something that I'd actually call a game :-)

Mkkl.

PS! don't worry: credits for music photo, music and sound will be added.

PPS! Code is here, if you want to steal something: https://github.com/staunsholm/ice-cube

Advertisement

So I spent some time today creating the paddles for the game. I have been spending a lot of time on the visual aspects of the game which takes forever since I am not an artist.

[attachment=18455:galaxiespaddles.jpg]

Yeah, I wasted time searching for art and in the end I gave up and started making my own. At least that motivated me to learn using Inkscape a little better, which I had postponed until who knows when.

Making a font or sounds or music is impossible for me and finding something suitable in these areas is costing even more time than actual programming.

My game is running smoothly already, but it needs adding of the remaining parts for some half done things.

I wasted a lot of time on a freelance job because I really needed the money, but I got started today and got a good bit done. I have my general idea planned out and a lot of ideas for features and powerups and stuff. I'll refine it into a clearer design after I get to the point where I can test and try out some of my ideas to see how much I like them, hopefully I have time. I'm not the fastest or most motivated programmer, anyone have tips on that?

I feel its a bit late to start testing out ideas. I would try getting the classic gameplay of pong running ASAP to have something to show and keep you motivated, then add on the mandatory extra features for the contest while banning any thought of other things (aka the creeping featuritis).

I started working on my game much earlier, it feels like 70% completed and there is the saying the second half starts at 90%. wink.png

I've been trying to do as much as possible... I never stopped to think that I'd be spending most of my October free time out in a tree stand... ^_^

@staunsholm - That's a nice screenshot. Do the ice paddles melt as time passes?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

@staunsholm - That's a nice screenshot. Do the ice paddles melt as time passes?

Very nice suggestion

[attachment=18467:winter-pong1.jpg]

Finally I figured out where the hidden button to attach a screenshot is.tongue.png

OriginallyI had planned the background to be used only for the menus, but I like how it looks ingame and am not sure about making another?

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:18468]

A small clip showing my buggy gameplay.

Basic controls are finished, a primitive (we're talking pre-dating cavemen "primitive") ai for the paddle... some obviously flawed collision detection and equally flawed physics.

Go me!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement