Mars-One

Started by
81 comments, last by szecs 10 years, 3 months ago

Which is why I stated several times that the amount of change involved in moving to a new planet would be enough to last a lifetime.

But it is not as simple as that. I moved each time because I always knew there was a place better suited for me. I am not bored of Tokyo, and if no options closer to my biggest childhood dreams presented themselves I would stay here for life. The only reason I would ever consider leaving Tokyo is in pursuit of a bigger dream I have always had, which is to live on another world.

As I said, I know only one thing: How to pursue my dreams.

Now that my biggest dream ever has shown a chance to be fulfilled, all other arguments are basically moot.

You also forget to account for how many changes this actually is. This isn’t Tokyo direct to Mars.

This is Japan to The Netherlands, then to deserts, underwater training facilities, etc. for 10 years.

Then changing to a rocket for 7 months.

Then changing to a whole new planet.

This is where that argument entirely folds in on itself.

For someone who craves changes, what is the alternative? Just stay in Tokyo for the rest of my life? Doesn’t that sound like the exact opposite of pursuing change?

At some time you always reach a point where you just have to settle down. No more change.

I’d rather it be on a whole new planet after a whole lifetime of unbelievable journeys.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

Advertisement

Btw, a heads up, the Mars-One campaign on indiegogo, after 25 days and with 21 days to go, still has gathered only about 125,000$ out of 400,000$ which is the goal.

It is also stated there, that the campaign will receive all funds even if the goal isn't met(something possible on indiegogo), which, for a project of this nature, is just so unfathomably pathetic I can't even begin to find the words to describe it fully(but also explains why exactly they didn't use the much more popular Kickstarter). So congrats, maybe the "heads" behind this campaign will get a nice 200K or such, which isn't enough to buy a handful of screws from a spaceshuttle, but can surely be used to buy some nice cars.

I find it interesting, as a user there commented, that Star Citizen, Roberts' space-sim game, on the other hand, has so far gathered, through crowd-funding, 35 million (which, I guess, would be enough to buy a...used and retired fighter jet maybe?)

I guess most people believe that the latter is way more likely to happen. biggrin.png

I think I fully understand L. Spiro.

I would have applied if I realize that my health would not knock me out of the game easily.

I'm just a serious loner and also, that, in my lives, face multiple time near death situation. From lightning strike to hydro planing on a motorbike (or a car hit me from behind) and landed so close near another vehicle (like those movies where the car inches away from your head thing - and today newspaper tells of a cyclist that is right underneath a car - not much injury lucky). and I no longer fear death - just pain.

And the thing is, depending on the pain, and your level of empathy, it at times look more painful than it is.

My brother was with my dad as he (my dad) dies, and we talked a lot about this.

Worst come to worst, it will be just like the ending of space cowboy. You just stare at earth until you dies. I don't think there will be rescue mission - there is already live cost if I understand.

Worst come to worst, it will be just like the ending of space cowboy. You just stare at earth until you dies.

OMG spoiler alert... lol j/k

Wow, people think there is even a remote chance that we are near the technology to send people to colonise mars? We struggled to land a robot with government funding, and now $400,000 of crowdfunding is going to get us there?

The biggest problem I see is the fact that Spiro is talking as though landing on mars and settling there is a sure thing. The simple truth is, attempting it with this organisation of crack-pots is suicide. This talk of settlement is nothing short of dellusional and I would recommend an 8 year trip to a psychologist instead.

Internet? It would be worse than 14.4k, and even less reliable. But who cares, if you have no earthly attachments. You can set up your own internet when you are on mars. You and the three other people in the first landing (pretending as though that won't be a crash landing, pretending as though it will ever launch).

Wow, people think there is even a remote chance that we are near the technology to send people to colonise mars? We struggled to land a robot with government funding, and now $400,000 of crowdfunding is going to get us there?

woa, can i get a citation on that struggling? NASA has been consistently successful at landing probes/rovers on the red planet for over a decade now, with curiosity being the most precise landing within 1 1/2 miles of it's target.

The biggest problem I see is the fact that Spiro is talking as though landing on mars and settling there is a sure thing. The simple truth is, attempting it with this organisation of crack-pots is suicide. This talk of settlement is nothing short of dellusional and I would recommend an 8 year trip to a psychologist instead.

you and i have been reading things differently, L. Spiro has been defending his position and his reasons, but in no way do i read it as if he knows this is a certainty, i don't believe anyone here is discussing this with the mindset that this is going to happen, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be allowed to support the idea, yes the bottom line is that their is a slim chance of this getting off the ground, but why should that instantly discourage people from wanting it to happen?
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

I wonder if you ever watched Capricorn One?

Even the name is suspiciously similar.tongue.png

L. Spiro talks as if landing on Mars is a sure thing because landing on Mars is a sure thing.

It’s only a matter of when.

But L. Spiro’s patience for people who don’t do their own research before criticizing things grows very thin.

The technology has existed for quite some time, and it is in fact because of the government that we aren’t already there.

You have homework to do.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

It’s only a matter of when.

And of whether L. Spiro will be around when it happens, I suppose.

I just want to say, Spiro, I'm sure you know this already, but you don't have to justify yourself to everyone in this thread. Some people are just not going to understand your rationale, no matter how hard you try, while others will, especially when it comes to such fundamental things as leaving the planet. Besides, I feel this thread has more or less devolved into a "mars one will not succeed" versus "yes we will land on mars one day" almost-strawman-argument that can not be resolved by anyone involved. But that might just be me.

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

10$ says they all get fried by radiation in the journey (assuming the thing gets to that point).

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement