What exactly is Mesa3D?

Started by
0 comments, last by Promit 22 years, 2 months ago
Im not totally sure on this. From what I understand, Mesa3D is another implementation of the OpenGL interface, but the rendering is completely software; It does not use HW acceleration. So can I use Mesa3D to provide, say a software renderer in my game? Is this the same as the QuakeGL software renderer conceptually? ----------------------------- The sad thing about artificial intelligence is that it lacks artifice and therefore intelligence. Democracy is where you say what you want and do what you''re told.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Advertisement
AFAIK MesaGL can best be described as an OpenGL clone. It can use hardware-acceleration, but only on a small number of cards. From the site (http://www.mesa3d.org/):

quote:
3D Hardware Supported by Mesa:
3dfx Voodoo1, Voodoo2, Voodoo Rush, Voodoo Banshee, Voodoo3
All cards based on these chipsets should work with Linux and Windows 95 via 3dfx''s glide library.

David Bucciarelli wrote the 3dfx driver for Mesa.
Daryll Strauss implemented Glide for Linux

DRI-based hardware support for 3dfx, Intel, Matrox, ATI on Linux
The DRI architecture developed by Precision Insight, Inc. uses Mesa and provides hardware acceleration for a number of popular chipsets.

The DRI is part of XFree86 4.0 and later.

If you download and install XFree86 4.0 you do not need to install Mesa separately. All the important parts of Mesa will be installed with the rest of XFree86.

Matrox G200/G400, nVidia RIVA, ATI Rage Pro, Intel i810 on Linux
The Utah GLX project (no longer active) developed drivers for these chipsets and others.

Amiga Warp3D
Amiga systems can support 3D hardware with the Warp3D API. See here.
Newbie programmers think programming is hard.Amature programmers think programming is easy.Professional programmers know programming is hard.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement