Retail publisher info

Started by
58 comments, last by Smile 22 years, 1 month ago
Oh, and an April release for Arcangel does mean that it''s in stores by the end of March already. Just in case you wanted to point that out as a "lie" too
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Xing Interactive
Yes, so what is the problem here? The guy hasn''t been paid because he signed with Crystal Interactive before and that is his reference to "I have 2 years of dealings with Alex de Vries". Not exactly accurate as he has dealt with me in a capacity of 3rd part development manager at Crystal Interactive AND as the owner of Xing Interactive. I signed his game in August or September of 2001 when we just started out. It is true that I have been unable to sell his game until now, and Mark knows that Arcangel is simply a very difficult game to market. It''s too complex in nature for a casual game and it simply cannot match high end games in quality, even though it is a substantial enough game. All I can say is that I am still trying my best with this one and that a release for Germany in April has been confirmed.

Now the fact that he hasn''t been paid by Xing Interactive has to do with one simple thing: we did not manage to sell any copies of his game yet. That''s why we do not owe Mark Sheeky anything except 100% of our dedication and energy to still try our very best.

Now I don''t know which other developer you are referring to but if he hasn''t been paid then we simply don''t owe him a cent due to no sales whatsoever. Most of the people we work with understand that when you bring us a game in November that we cannot start moving again until February. That''s 3 months lost because no retailer will buy stock in November and even if by some miracle they do it''s too late to produce and ship it in time anyway. Count to that the fact that we started our company in August and took September and October to sign games and get artwork done etc. So what are we talking about??? Like I said before, we are a publisher not Merlin the Magician, Inc.!!!

What you said is again a nice story. I am really enjoying your replies The point is that there are differences in answers.
We aren''t talking about CI, but XI. Also he don''t recommend XI.
Again this isn''t positive but negative. It tells something about XI on a negative way about the cooperation and sales system.

What you don''t understand is that the other developer told that he isn''t paid and you said he is paid. And I notice you make of everything a nice long story. But you can keep it short when it goes about the facts.

I also want to give this information, but I need his reply for this.
What does this website mean:
Your home address, telephone in Assen is also mentioned below!

http://www.crystal-interactive.nl/

Crystal Interactive Nederland B.V.

Welkom op de Nederlandse site van Crystal Interactive. Hier vindt u productinformatie, contactgegevens en een lijst van verkooppunten. Vanuit Assen verzorgen wij samen met onze distributeur de markt in de Benelux.

U vindt onze producten bij:

- Intertoys
- Bart Smit
- Dixons
- Bruna
- Het Kruidvat
- De Kijkshop
- Free Record Shop

Mocht u problemen hebben met het vinden van onze producten dan kunt u ons altijd een E-mail sturen.

Crystal Interactive Nederland B.V.
Leemveld 158
9407 GE Assen
The Netherlands

Tel: +31-(0)592-373634
Fax: +31-(0)592-374697

Mark:
>Before he accepted the game 8 months ago it had done completely zero with another publisher for about a year.

XI:
>I signed his game in August or September of 2001 when we just started out

8 months ago is a very long time Sir. 8 months is referented to XI not CI.

CI he mentioned: it had done completely zero with another publisher for about a year. That publisher was CI.

And because of his game concept. Why do you give false hope. Most real professional publishers don’t do that. They don’t accept it in cases of troubles with marketing. Because they know there market very well. They know what they can sell and what they can’t sell. And you sell mainly through other publishers. That makes you an agent. The developer earns in that case much more. You can only take 10% from the profits as an agent, that is the fair rule in the game industry. Ask any well known game agent if you don’t believe me. And if you are half publisher and half agent, in that case you need to give the developers for the agent license deals 90% profits. Many developers don’t know about that, but it’s the rule in the game business.
Check the telephone numbers and place:
This on the crystal interactive dutch site:

Crystal Interactive Nederland B.V
URL: http://www.crystal-interactive.nl
Leemveld 158
9407 GE Assen
The Netherlands
Tel: +31-(0)592-373634
Fax: +31-(0)592-374697

And this on the American/Englisch site.
http://www.crystal-interactive.com/contact/index.html

Crystal Interactive B.V.
Gouderakstraat 28a
NL-3079 DB Rotterdam
Tel: +31-(0)592-373634 The telephone number is the same
Fax: +31-(0)592-374697 The fax also.

But the place is in Rotterdam How is this possible?
Rotterdam and Assen the same telephone and fax number, sounds line new telephone technology. If I am right Alex, a person did design that website. Why didn''t he lieve the company. And why isn''t the site down. I am sure you got those possibilities as manager. Also this person wasn''t an internet firm. But an individual person.
(Taking a deep breath and sighing...) You are really beyond reason. I left Crystal Interactive but those crooks still used my address for their Dutch office address. After I told them to remove it they replaced it with the address in Rotterdam. Apparently they did not change the phone numbers. I will immediately contact them and have them remove it. Your posts don''t seem to be entirely pointless afterall... Thanks. The fact that a Dutch website exists with the same info is not my responsibility. I have asked the provider to remove it. They simply don''t!

Ask Mark Sheeky again about whether he thinks it''s unfair that he had to wait for 8 months. He was one of the first guys to sign on with me so I was happy to have him and his products on board. I still am and I still know we can sell it. Arcangel was originally slated for a December 2001 release in the Benelux and a November 2001 release in Germany. The translation wasn''t done in time for the German deal and the Dutch distributor showed bad payment morale. So we quit working with them. That''s why we did not market Mark Sheeky''s product earlier.

We are not game agents but publishers. Most publishers use licensing partners in other territories. We publish everything ourselves in the U.K. and Benelux and some titles we do on finished product basis in other territories as well. Licensing is a way of maximising sales for a developer as well as for us. If they just want us to license a product for the Benelux and the U.K. then fine with me, but most of them want us to take worldwide rights and find licensing partners in territories we don''t supply directly. It is none of your business what we do and why we do it like this. If the developer is happy then you are really looking for problems which aren''t there.

Now I am sick and tired of this ongoing conversation as you clearly do not have any real arguments to bring to the table then some crud about unfair deals, non-existing developers who did not get paid apparently and the reluctance of Crystal Interactive to finally leave me alone by removing my name and address etc. from their websites!

I do not wish to talk to you anymore Kan Mak (yes I know it is you!) I will only deem you worthy of a reply if you present your so called "proof". My reply will defuse that dud as well, even though it isn''t necessary. Boy oh boy, Kan Mak you certainly have picked a nice hobby... Never programmed a decent game in your life but you apparently seem to do a great job making up for that frustration by taking it out on Xing Interactive. Well done and don''t throw up tomorrow when you look into the mirror ok???
Found the follow information:

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=54666
Peddler Member since: 1/12/2000
Posted - 18 July 2001 9:26:14 AM

Thanks,

You''ve given me some real good options to look over ...

Cliffski - I am a volunteer for Crystal Interactive, I designed and managed their website and handled the initial PR ... About using Crystal ... I think my game is more suited for Internet distribution (ie. I don''t think it''s retail worthy).

Tim Yarosh
www.lucidgames.net

And also:

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?whichpage=1&pagesize=20&topic_id=38812

Peddler Member since: 1/12/2000
Posted - 3 February 2001 4:16:03 PM

Crystal Interactive is currently in the process of moving its web site to a more powerful and reliable server. This was prompted by the rapid growth we have experienced in the past weeks and will help to sustain this growth in the months ahead. This process should be completed within the week and will ensure that downtimes and other interruptions will be but a not-so fond memory.

Plain English:
The amount of traffic we are getting has caught us with our pants down. With this server upgrade, we will be able to continue expanding our web site ... it will also give us the opportunity to add many new features and services that are planned for the future.

Somewhat OT:
I have followed much of the "drama" created by various anonymous posters here in these message boards regarding Crystal and haven''t yet joined in to battle the flames. Though, let me just say that we are working incredibly hard here to make Crystal Interactive and the developers we work with as successful as possible. There have been great developments on the retail front, such as a MAJOR distribution contract with Softek International, as well our exciting online boom, in just the last few weeks.

My job in part, is to make Crystal''s online business a sterling success and make no doubt about it ... I will not rest until this is achieved.

-Timothy Yarosh
Webmaster
Crystal Interactive, Inc.
www.crystal-interactive.com

Lucid Games
www.lucidgames.net

So this guy is indeed an individual person as mentioned, who did the webdesign. Check also the new forums at CI site, http://www.crystal-interactive.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=news;action=display;num=1014891341

You notice the guy is still there strange......strange. And he is payed or still a volunteer
quote:Original post by Xing Interactive
Again: You are making no sense exactly like before... We have on our website 8 games at the moment. I presume that you have talked to these developers?

Krakout - Was published in the Benelux and the developer has been paid in full. Even though we don''t always agree we have a good relationship with these people as they also maintain our website for us. No reason for them to complain.

Alien Infestation - This game hasn''t even been completed since 2 weeks ago so they definately have no reason to complain.

Arcangel - This guy knows that his game is difficult to place but we have a release for Germany in March so if you care to ask him he''ll confirm this. Can''t imagine Mark would complain.

Kombat Kars - This is Cliffski''s game. He posted on this message board earlier in our defense. So why should he complain?

Warrior''s Mind - This is a personal friend of mine. Would never say anything negative about Xing.

Fox Kids Series - This is an official licensed product from pro developers. No reason for them to complain.

Pool Wars - Now this could be the one you''re talking about. This guy E-mailed me a week ago that he was angry and disappointed that he had not been paid yet. It turned out he thought his product had been released a month earlier then in reality and I cleared things up. Now if this is the one: contact him again please.

Swarm Assault - This developer only very recently signed on. No reason for him to complain.

Now you tell me who could possibly have a problem??? The fact that you think that there''s little chance you get paid is not my concern. I don''t force anyone to sign a contract at gunpoint and you''re free to pass up the opportunity. However insinuating AGAIN that we won''t pay our developers in general is a blatant lie and I do take offense to that. Proof please??? (asking you for it knowing that you cannot provide it ) Our contracts are drawn up in a way where we pay after we get paid ourselves. You cannot expect payment if there are no sales yet. I think you confuse that for being scammed. A scam is when we publish a game, make sales and not pay the developer. Something we do not do in a million years!

Now in the light of this and the fact that you still make accusations as an anonymous flamer I guess it''s hard to take you seriously... Sorry!

Here is the email reply from Jan. I hope he don''t get any problems. I didn''t got a confirmation reply. But I can''t wait any longer.

To:
Subject: Re: Publishing
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 20:58:36 +0100

No, and I´m indeed very careful about the deal...

----- Original Message -----
To: "Jan" <mail@master-creating.de>
Sent: Saturday, March 09, 2002 8:43 PM
Subject: Re: Publishing
>
> Did you receive payments?
>
> --- Jan <mail@master-creating.de> wrote:
> > Yes, but things can take way longer than expected.
> >
> > ----- Original Message -----
> > From:
> > To: <mail@master-creating.com>
> > Sent: Saturday, March 09, 2002 7:06 PM
> > Subject: Publishing
> >
> >
> > > Dear Sir,
> > >
> > > I want to inform if Xing Interactive is a good
> > > publisher to work with?
> > >
> > > Best Regards,

So he did not receive payments and you said the follow thing:

"Krakout - Was published in the Benelux and the developer has been paid in full. Even though we don''t always agree we have a good relationship with these people as they also maintain our website for us. No reason for them to complain."

has been paid in full???

By the way nice what you said about the programmer thing. I am a database programmer by day job and develop games as hobby
Yes paid in full. We confirmed the transfer to him over a week ago. He should have received it without any problems as it is in our bank statement as being taken care of.

Lame attempt at distorting Jan Beuk''s words. Now go an program a database and leave me and my company alone. I will not reply to you anymore now and as a final argument I will have Jan Beuk himself rectify this on gamedev.net and in an E-mail to you.

Farewell Kan Mak and I hope you realise that you have really been a tightass about every single thing which you could use to question me. It''s really looking for some way to discredit Xing Interactive and I cannot imagine anything else then that this is in fact your only hobby, right? Tip: some people go and play sports or collect stamps. Maybe an idea for you? Stamps don''t talk back so you can call them liars and cheats all you want without looking ridiculous as long as you do it in the privacy of your home
YOU REALLY NEED A PR OFFICER

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement