Animated status update! (YouTube update)
After some weekends and afternoons busy with other things (i.e. friends and Dark Souls 2), there has been some progress on the project.
While some of the initial gameplay mechanic concepts seem to have been shelved for now, we're seeing quite a lot of interesting paths this could take. We might also revisit them again once we've played around with some new ideas. I guess that's what prototyping is for, eh?
That, and for making horrible horrible code that can barely support itself, and is itching to get made somewhat more proper once we know which mechanics we want to support, etc.
For now, what we have is fairly rudimentary and rough, but that's par for the course.
- Background image, larger than a screen.
- Camera, can scroll around to extent of background image.
- Camera can track entities (centering on average position), or just look at a specific point.
- Some sprites with parenting and basic sprite sorting.
- Some character system, supporting multiple animations and multiple directions.
- Gamepad support.
- Local multiplayer using 2x gamepads.
- Various animations -- idle, walk, run, attack (x2).
- Super basic hit detection.
- Probably other stuff I can't remember.
The current focus is trying out various combat mechanics. This will involve quite a lot of brain storming and mocking up some quick & dirty animations, test and iterate.
The plan is trying to get something which is fun when we control both characters, and then try to use that knowledge when creating some sort of AI.
As always, I hope you've enjoyed this status update!