Frame Rates

Started by
45 comments, last by owl 21 years, 6 months ago
Hmm this is very confusing. I thought you were suppost to have FullScreen_PresentationInterval = D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_DEFAULT, FullScreen_RefreshRateInHz = 0, and SwapEffect = D3DSWAPEFFECT_FLIP (or D3DSWAPEFFECT_DISCARD if you are in windowed mode)

¬_¬
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Fuzztrek
Hmm this is very confusing. I thought you were suppost to have FullScreen_PresentationInterval = D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_DEFAULT, FullScreen_RefreshRateInHz = 0, and SwapEffect = D3DSWAPEFFECT_FLIP (or D3DSWAPEFFECT_DISCARD if you are in windowed mode)

¬_¬

ok - FullScreen_PresentationInterval must = D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_DEFAULT in windowed mode according to the docs, though I think it will limit the frame-rate in full-screen (I just left immediate on for both without problem!).
As for the swap effects - the difference between flip and discard is only that flip retains the contents of the last frame buffer where-as discard does not guarantee that and so can be faster - I think!

Anyhow my own settings currently (for unlimited fps testing) are
FullScreen_PresentationInterval = D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_IMMEDIATE
FullScreen_RefreshRateInHz = 0
D3DSWAPEFFECT_DISCARD

for both windowed and full (but see above for what docs say on presentation interval).
I see. I actually get better frame rates using immediate and flip in fullscreen, though before i used to use defualt for interval.

¬_¬
quote:Original post by AndyM
Set FullScreen_PresentationInterval = D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_IMMEDIATE
Leave the refresh rate on default (0)
And use D3DSWAPEFFECT_DISCARD

In fullscreen the animation does a lot of flickering if I set FullScreen_PresentationInterval = D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_IMMEDIATE.

I alredy use refresh rate on default and D3DSWAPEFFECT_DISCARD.

Thanks for the advice
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
quote:Original post by Fuzztrek
I see. I actually get better frame rates using immediate and flip in fullscreen, though before i used to use defualt for interval.

When you use DISCARD it is supposed to use the fastest method (which is often flip). If FLIP is faster than DISCARD you may have a driver bug and it should be reported.

Are you using the debug runtime? If so, you should know that DISCARD fills the backbuffer on each Present (alternating Green & Pink). This may make DISCARD run a little slower in DEBUG mode. Try the same tests with the Release runtime.

Stay Casual,

Ken
Drunken Hyena
Stay Casual,KenDrunken Hyena
Ic.. well, It wasn''t much faster, within 10 FPS.

¬_¬
[All inappropriate messages deleted, regardless if they contained useful information or not]

No flaming in my forum. Thank you.

Jim Adams
home.att.net/~rpgbook
Author, Programming Role-Playing Games with DirectX
and Focus On: Advanced Animation with DirectX

[edited by - Jim Adams on October 21, 2002 4:52:39 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement