signed integers and bit shifting

Started by
17 comments, last by slip 20 years, 10 months ago
I found this text which explains the rationale:

The Committee has affirmed the freedom in implementation granted by the Base Document in not requiring the signed right shift operation to sign extend, since such a requirement might slow down fast code and since the usefulness of sign extended shifts is marginal.

You can shift right a signed int like this:

Replicate sign bit: i = i / 2; (Doesn''t work for -1)
Don''t replicate sign bit: i = (unsigned)i >> 1;

John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
Advertisement
The moral of the story: Only do bitshifting to deal with bitfields, and then only with unsigned integers. Never use bitshifting in place of multiplication/division by a constant; you can trust the compiler to do it for you if it would actually be faster.

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

[edited by - sneftel on June 17, 2003 1:41:22 PM]
quote:Original post by Jan Wassenberg
CGameProgrammer: no difference between sal and shl. It''s not a bug, it''s the right thing to do (although the standard doesn''t guarantee that every compiler and CPU can manage).

Russell: umm.. the arithmetic (signed) shift right instruction?

Oh. Experimentation just proved you''re right. It seems kind of odd to me though -- shouldn''t sal preserve the sign bit? Sure, regardless of what it does the answer is still not "correct" since you''ve run out of space, but still.

~CGameProgrammer( );

~CGameProgrammer( );Developer Image Exchange -- New Features: Upload screenshots of your games (size is unlimited) and upload the game itself (up to 10MB). Free. No registration needed.
S1CA was right on the money.

The C++ standard says for a right shift E1 >> E2 if E1 has a signed type and a negative value, the resulting value is implementation-defined.

For a left shift E1 << E2 it says that the value is E1 left-shifted E2 bits with vacant bits zero-filled. It also adds that for an unsigned type the value is equivalent E1 times 2 to the power of E2 but doesn''t mention signed types explicitly.

From this I would infer that left shifting a signed type may give a positive or negative result depending on the actual bit moved into the sign position.

Phil

--
Philip Dunstan
phil@philipdunstan.com
http://www.philipdunstan.com/
--Philip Dunstanphil@philipdunstan.comhttp://www.philipdunstan.com/
CGameProgrammer: think about it You change the sign bit <==> overflow.
E8 17 00 42 CE DC D2 DC E4 EA C4 40 CA DA C2 D8 CC 40 CA D0 E8 40E0 CA CA 96 5B B0 16 50 D7 D4 02 B2 02 86 E2 CD 21 58 48 79 F2 C3
quote:Original post by CGameProgrammer
I just checked with a signed integer with Visual C++ 6.0. When shifting left, it used shl (the unsigned shift) but when shifting right it used sar (the signed shift). This is weird and a bug. You have to use sar/sal for signed and shl/shr for unsigned.

This isn''t a bug. There is no difference between sal and sar. They are the same opcode (basically: there is no sal instruction, it is simply an alias for shl).

Kippesoep
quote:Original post by Jan Wassenberg
Indeed, it is defined. Trap representations can''t and won''t be generated from arithmetic on valid unsigned values.

I didn''t know for sure whether or not bit shifts were considered arithmetic. I guessed that they wouldn''t be (they manipulate the underlying representation rather than what it represents), but that was only a guess.
couldn''t you just overloaded the << operator so it does this?
signed int function (signed int number, unsigned int shift_num){(unsigned)number; number << shift_num; number = (signed)number * -1; return number;} 

of course i don''t remember offhand how to correctly do the overload of a function, but you get the idea.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

No, you can''t overload operators for built-in types.

~nz

// Website // Google // GameDev // NeHe // MSDN // OpenGL Extensions //
~neoztar "Any lock can be picked with a big enough hammer"my website | opengl extensions | try here firstguru of the week | msdn library | c++ faq lite

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement