New midi, let the bashing begin

Started by
17 comments, last by Dreq 20 years ago
Well I finally got over my writers block in time to produce this new song: http://www.digitalneo.net/church.mid Feel free to give me your harshest comments . [edited by - dreq on April 6, 2004 7:44:42 AM]
"Mommy, where do microprocessors come from?"
Advertisement
quote:Feel free to give me your harshest comments .
Be careful asking for that!
Well, for harsh comments: The beginning sucks, fix it.

But other than that I like it! The melody is catchy and doesn''t repeat itself and all the notes fit within the chords nicely.

As to my harsh comment: The bells haveing space in between them was neat, but the string section is a more of a pad instrument that doesn''t sound good when it starts and stop suddenly. I felt very put out that such nice chords suddenly stopped when it was just starting to sound so nice.
I know what i am saying, i want people to tell me exactly what they hate about it alogn with what i did good.. 'going easy' doesn't help me get better. As for the strings, what do you propose? Should i just fade them out, hold them, or what?

Oh and thanks ^_^

[edit]
I tried several different things and none sounded right.. The idea is to build from the bells, kinda a 'what you hear in church bell rings' kinda thing. i mean thats literally what I did. I picked a very simple and generic church bell thing, then repeated with strings, then just let my heart take it from there.

[edited by - dreq on April 6, 2004 7:34:01 PM]
i''d entirely drop the 2 intro sections (bell intro & string intro) the moments of silence are less than satisfying. if you want to make the "idea" of the church bells more prominent you could maybe just do something like fade out the bells as you begin playing the song. i''m not sure if they''re beat matched, but doing so if they''re not shouldn''t be a big deal. you could experiment with fading in the music as you are fading out the bells. but either way, having the silence between the bells is rather jarring, though far less jarring than the silence between the strings.

so in summary:
string intro: bad, just drop entirely
bell intro: bad as is, but you could work them into the beginning of the song as another layer
tune: pretty sweet, keep as is with the possibility of a fade in & and simultaneous bell fade out.

-me
Ok, ok, I''ll hack off that intro part .
as others have said before....

other then the first parts It was way better then I thought it would be going into it =) seems like everytime I see a heres a midi I wrote it ends up sucking really bad but you managed to do a good job with it

drum does seem to be lacking but still works

keep up the good work and post some more midis

www.jeffnortham.com

AIM jeffie7
To be honest, I don't try to put much emotion into my midis, I am.. you could say.. careless about writing them, I spend much more time on my ogg/mp3's because i don't loose things in conversion.

If you haven't heard,
http://music.digitalneo.net/seasons.mp3 is a "goodun". Oh and thanks for your comments, and I'm glad it was more than you expected

[edited by - dreq on April 9, 2004 12:32:20 PM]
the MP3 sounds nice other then the fact it sounds like you wrote the whole song using a mouse very computer like it has no human sound to it if you know what I mean....

still a good song it could manage to be great if it was more real sounding

what is your setup there?

Reason 2.5 and a nice midi keyboard, no mouse clicks in that. It doesn''t sound real because i don''t have thousands of dollars to spend on a real symphony orchestra, just a few hundred to spend on decent software and hardware.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement