Is learning to write games in dos worth it?

Started by
35 comments, last by kikkler 20 years ago
I''m new to the whole game progremming scene, though i had the passion for it for a long time. anyway i got myself some books about the subject and browsed them a little. One of the books which i seem to get along well with talks about writing a dos based, 3d game engine, something like descent/quake 1. now i''m pretty sure i want and will focus on windows platform most of the time - so my question is - should i spend the time, read the book, learn the main concepts and techniques and afterwards do the transition to windows? or should i start with windows right now? thanks
God is a concept by which we measure our pain
Advertisement
DOS lets you focus on basic theories. If you are new to programming in general, I''d learn DOS first. On the other hand, if you already know a fair degree about C/C++, and would just like to learn more about game development go with Windows.
Dos
e
a
d

Seriously, there is no reason to learn dos anymore, thought that shouldent stop crossplatform programming if thats what your after. Learn an API like SDL (www.libsdl.org) and read up on the tutorials, then you can actualy go somewhere. Otherwise learn winAPI programming and DirectX.
for the learning experience then yes.
also learning to program game in DOS will get you
very acquainted with console game programming.
if you choose to do that, instead of computer game programming.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Well, i dunno about that, XBOX is in directX, and the rest of them could be emulated better with some of the librarys around here then with DOS programming.
well Dreamcast programming you can use straight C but
most of the time tweak and major improvements are necessary
to the API as well as the code. also GBA uses a number or IRQs
and assembly to program their (homebrewn) games; though i will
admit C is most likely used in the majority of the programming
project. ...and PS2... big assembly if you want very good quality games. so yeah DOS is still useful. not necessary but useful nonetheless.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

IMHO there''s no point in focusing exclusively on DOS - DOS is the domain of the embedded systems programmer these days.

But there are a lot of libraries which are portable between DOS and Windows.

Certainly I wouldn''t waste much time fiddling with DOS-specific memory management, interrupts, IO etc.

Mark
quote:Original post by Onemind
DOS lets you focus on basic theories. If you are new to programming in general, I''d learn DOS first. On the other hand, if you already know a fair degree about C/C++, and would just like to learn more about game development go with Windows.

Your comment is totally wrong. If you want to focus on the basics, like algorithms you should go higher level, not low level. What is a beginner going to learn from memory manipulation in mode X or 320x200 VGA ?
Instead people should start with C# and managed directx, it''s easy, readable, is strict enough to prevent the usual errors like a for loop from 0 to 10 on an array size 10 (should be 0-9), etc. Then if you are one of those that thinks only about speed then you can go to C++.

DOS forces you to do everything yourself, do a lot of work before you even get anything on the screen, and then a lot of work to make it run fast. When you have done this and go to C++ with directx, your knowledge and work is wasted.
Instead people should start with C# and managed directx, it's easy, readable, is strict enough to prevent the usual errors like a for loop from 0 to 10 on an array size 10 (should be 0-9), etc. Then if you are one of those that thinks only about speed then you can go to C++.

c#.... go home kid.

[edited by - rebelcoder on April 22, 2004 7:09:51 AM]
i c teh code.
quote:Original post by rebelcoder
Instead people should start with C# and managed directx, it''s easy, readable, is strict enough to prevent the usual errors like a for loop from 0 to 10 on an array size 10 (should be 0-9), etc. Then if you are one of those that thinks only about speed then you can go to C++.

c#.... go home kid.

I wonder who''s the kid here.
Starting with C# and Managed DirectX or GDI+ is a very good idea.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement