Quality of code is getting lower and lower?

Started by
81 comments, last by Raloth 19 years, 9 months ago
The quality of the code doesn't only depend on the quality of the coder. It also depends on the time and resources that coder has. Don't expect someone to write clean code if he has 2 weeks to code something that would take 4 weeks.
Advertisement
Am I the only one who thinks the quality of code has increased over time? There's a million times more structure and planning involved in programming nowadays than there has been in the past. You don't really get the monolith "spaghetti code" systems today that used to be so frequent.

Quote:This is a direct result of programming and programming languages becoming more accessible to people. Would there be as many coders today if we could only use assembly language? Probably not.

Assembly language is simpler, and less restrictive. That was part of the problem. People could bend the rules where they wanted, make use of "undocumented" workarounds and tricks, and do all kinds of hellish things. That thing Lode posted is an example of this.
Quote:Original post by Raduprv
Quote:Original post by capn_midnight
name one

Like, for example, if you have many nested fors/whiles, and an error on the lowest for calls for a total quit of that for group. Yes, I know, there are alternatives, but using goto makes the code cleaner (if used wisely).
use exception handling. try again.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

How do I use that in C?

How do I use that in C?
why are you using a 30 year old language?

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

How do I use that in C?

why do you speak in a 400 year old language?
I love me and you love you.
And why are you using the wheel? It's so obsolete.
Quote:Original post by Grizwald

How do I use that in C?

actually, english as we speak it today is drastically different from english of 400 years ago. Similar to how C++ that we program in today is not the same as C. There is a reason why new languages are developed, because they fix the problems with the previous languages, like C not having exception handling.

And why are you using the wheel? It's so obsolete.

I know!! And combustion engines are much older than 30 years!

and your mother is over 30 too! She must also be worthless
Quote:Original post by Grizwald

How do I use that in C?

actually, english as we speak it today is drastically different from english of 400 years ago. Similar to how C++ that we program in today is not the same as C. There is a reason why new languages are developed, because they fix the problems with the previous languages, like C not having exception handling.

well esparanto is regular
and thus better and easier than english

why don't we just give up what we are used to and use esparanto!?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement