How do I get the CDROM working?

Started by
42 comments, last by HTML 19 years, 9 months ago
It works! I can mount data cds, but how come I can't mount music cds??

EDIT:: I guess you arn't suppose to mount music cds..if that is true, how do you play them? I put the cds in an ran KsCD and it does not play them...
Advertisement
Ok, I looked at my /etc/fstab and found out I actually am using supermount, which takes care of removable media.

none  /mnt/cdrom  supermount dev=/dev/cdroms/cdrom0,fs=iso9660 0 0none  /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto              0 0
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
That is what I am looking for. Thanks, but how do I change my fstab to use supermount?
Quote:Original post by HTML
That is what I am looking for. Thanks, but how do I change my fstab to use supermount?

The two lines I've posted are excerpts from my fstab. One for my CD-RW, one for my 3"1/2 drive.
I believe supermount is a kernel module (head towards your /usr/src/linux).
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
none /media/cdrom0 supermount dev=/dev/hdb,fs=iso9660 0 0
none /media/cdrom1 supermount dev=/dev/hda,fs=iso9660 0 0

Tried this but it didn't seem to work.

I don't have a linux file just a /usr/src/(kernel headers) folder.

I tried searching for a supermount in debian and found a supermount patch but it is for kernel 2.4, I have 2.6..
Well, I've got Gentoo, so I can't really help you with Debian. And /usr/src/linux is just a symlink to my "normal" kernel source directory. Have you look at your kernel options (make menuconfig) see if you've added supermount support?
I didn't compile my own kernel. I just used the default kernel-image-k7.

I don't like messing with all that kernel and config stuff more than I have too. (which is why I may make the switch to Mandrake or SUSE, the only reason I am not is because of apt-get and it is not bloated.)
Debian doesn't install the kernel source by default

Kscd or whatever should be able to play audio CDs though (you are correct that you don't (and in fact can't) mount audio CDs)

What happens when you try to play audio CDs? Any error messages, or does it appear to play but you don't get any sound? (If it's detecting audio tracks on the CD then that's a start, I guess). Have you tried using something other than kscd? Gnome has a build in CD player (something like gnome-cd, but pressing tab for command line completion is your friend :)), thought you might not have it installed. Xmms can play CDs if you have the right plugin, and xine/gxine/totem/kaffeine (and any other xine-lib frontend that I've forgoten) can, as can mplayer
Why, exactly do you want supermount again?
So, I can play cds

KsCD just says 0:00. I thought I heard the cd spin a few times. Should I set KsCD to /dev/hdb or /media/cdrom0 ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement