How do I get the CDROM working?

Started by
42 comments, last by HTML 19 years, 9 months ago
What drive is your HD on? SCSI? Or is it on ide1 or something? It's not common to have a CD on /dev/hda

chgrp cdrom [the dev file, eg /dev/hdb]

For data CDs:

A CD must be mounted to read data off it. For this, /etc/fstab is read to find where to mount what device with what kind of filesystem. For the CD drive, "iso9660" should be fine. For the DVD drive I'd suggest "udf,iso9660". This will tell mount to try UDF and if that fails, try normal CD FS.

For music CDs:

Music CDs are completely different from data CDs. Music CDs have no data (they have audio) and thus cannot be mounted. I even find it quite funny to suggest so. Music CDs can be played by one of two methods: read the raw audio off the CD into memory, and play it from there (not supported by all drives, but anything recent enough will do it), or tell the drive to play the CD. This second one needs a passthrough audio cable that connects the CD drive to the soundcard (or motherboard if it's integrated). If you want to check the CD volume level (assuming your using ALSA) try "alsamixer" in console.

If the sound comes out the speakers in windows (don't call it that, it's called KDE (or Gnome, or whichever you're actually using)) then what's the problem?

Now, the devices. This is the way it works:

ide0 master => /dev/hda

ide0 slave => /dev/hdb

ide1 master => /dev/hdc

ide1 slave => /dev/hdd

You get the idea. Now, there are these things called "symlinks" that allow the same file to have a number of different names (like the way pointers in C work). /dev/cdrom is a likely candidate for a symlink that points to the actual drive device (/dev/hdb or whatever it really is).

Hope that shed a bit of light.
My stuff.Shameless promotion: FreePop: The GPL god-sim.
Advertisement
Thanks, that helps. I think the reason my hd is on hdc and my cdrom is on hdb and hda is because the ide chord is connected to the wrong part of the motherboard.(The cd and hd are switched)

So if I switch those will that work?

When I said the sound comes out on windows I meant it comes out on my windows 98 partition, but not kde.
Quote:Original post by HTML
Thanks, that helps. I think the reason my hd is on hdc and my cdrom is on hdb and hda is because the ide chord is connected to the wrong part of the motherboard.(The cd and hd are switched)

So if I switch those will that work?
No it's jsut fine the way it is, even if it is unusual.
Quote:When I said the sound comes out on windows I meant it comes out on my windows 98 partition, but not kde.
Find a mixer/sound volume program.

I don't know what KDE has, but over here I use Gnome Alsa Mixer. (oh yeah, this also might depend on whether you're using alsa or oss...)
chgrp cdrom /dev/hdb did not work. I want KsCD to be able to play cds under /dev/cdrom under any username. How do I do that ? (I can only do it as root.)

I also tried:

chgrp username /dev/hdb

How do I reset that back to default so it doesn't mess anything up?
Anyone know how to use chgrp? Or what I am doing wrong?
chgrp groupname target
As root:
chgrp cdrom /dev/hdb
Since hdb is a cdrom, you'll want to do this, regardless of the next steps.

KSCD might not work if: /dev/cdrom does not exist; the cd volume is muted.

1) Do "ls /dev/cdrom". If it says "No such file" or similar, do as root: "ln -s hdb /dev/cdrom". This will make a symbolic link to the real cdrom device (hdb).

2) Run, in console, "alsamixer". Use the arrows on your keyboard to move around and change the volume settings. Settings to watch out for are "Master", "CD", and "PCM". PCM won't affect your CD, but it WILL affect normal computer sounds, so best set this while you're here. If "CD" isn't in the list, keep hitting right arrow until it comes in. Hitting the M key should toggle mute.

Hope that gets you somewhere.

My stuff.Shameless promotion: FreePop: The GPL god-sim.
And I have 2 cdrom drives, do I

chgrp cdrom hda
chgrp cdrom hdb

Or

chgrp cdrom0 hda
chgrp cdrom hdb

CDROM Information ----

hda = DVD
hdb = CDRW

/dev/cdrom = dvd
/dev/cdrom1 = cdrw

ls -l /dev/hdb
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 3, 64 Apr 29 17:27 /dev/hdb

ls -l /dev/hda
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 3, 0 Apr 29 17:27 /dev/hda

ls -l /dev/cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 Jul 27 00:34 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/cdrom0

ls -l /dev/cdrom1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Jul 27 00:34 /dev/cdrom1 -> /dev/hdb

I got sound on CD's on root now though for the DVD player.
Thanks

[Edited by - HTML on July 27, 2004 2:47:09 PM]
bump
chgrp cdrom /dev/hdb
chgrp cdrom /dev/cdrom0
chgrp cdrom /dev/hdc
chgrp cdrom /dev/cdrom1
I would find it difficult to believe that hda is your cdrom.
Zorx (a Puzzle Bobble clone)Discontinuity (an animation system for POV-Ray)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement