THE question : opengl or glut

Started by
28 comments, last by Luke Philpot 19 years, 4 months ago
Quote:Original post by Puzzler183
Just use SDL. If you write Windows specific code, you are defeating the purpose of using OpenGL.

Not necessarily. You could write different compiler paths, based on what OS you're compiling for. You have to do that to some extent anyway. It's only a bunch of #ifdefs.

Quote:
DirectX Graphics?

I'd like to see you get that working on *nix.

Anyway, SDL is good. I don't know what people are saying about it being slow, I haven't found that at all. Sure beats writing window creation code for every OS I want to port my engine to.
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.
Advertisement
when it comes to window management SDL is fast.
If SDL is too heavyweight for you, you could always choose GLFW - it's lightweight and cross-platform. It'll handle your input (keys, mouse, joystick) and window management stuff. I used it for a while with no real problems.
SDL is the best way to go...those who say it's too slow compared to win32 obviously haven't tried SDL themselves nor do they have proofs or numbers to show SDL is noticeably slower...
You cannot say that SDL is not slower, it is inherrently slower because of its design, but it IS completely possible that the difference isnt noticeable.
-Dan
When General Patton died after World War 2 he went to the gates of Heaven to talk to St. Peter. The first thing he asked is if there were any Marines in heaven. St. Peter told him no, Marines are too rowdy for heaven. He then asked why Patton wanted to know. Patton told him he was sick of the Marines overshadowing the Army because they did more with less and were all hard-core sons of bitches. St. Peter reassured him there were no Marines so Patton went into Heaven. As he was checking out his new home he rounded a corner and saw someone in Marine Dress Blues. He ran back to St. Peter and yelled "You lied to me! There are Marines in heaven!" St. Peter said "Who him? That's just God. He wishes he were a Marine."
Quote:Original post by Ademan555
You cannot say that SDL is not slower, it is inherrently slower because of its design, but it IS completely possible that the difference isnt noticeable.
-Dan

if this is directed to me...well, i never said anything contrary to what you said, did I? :)
Use WinAPI with OpenGL. Its more industry standard(used more by professionals over the SDL+OpenGL combo) and it properly prepares you for the real world of programming.

My two cents.
---http://www.michaelbolton.comI constantly dream about Michael Bolton.
Quote:Original post by Khaosifix
Use WinAPI with OpenGL. Its more industry standard(used more by professionals over the SDL+OpenGL combo) and it properly prepares you for the real world of programming.

My two cents.
well all i can say is, im lucky im not in your real world, i hate being stuck re-inventing the wheel over and over and over and over and over and over ... err... you get the picture. use whatever you think is good (*cough* SDL *cough*)

i personally use my own Win32 OpenGL-Init library that i wrote some 4-5 years ago, Direct Input and stuff, havnt touched it in 3-4 years (back then i didnt know about SDL :'( and google wasnt as powerfull as it is today)
"I am a donut! Ask not how many tris/batch, but rather how many batches/frame!" -- Matthias Wloka & Richard Huddy, (GDC, DirectX 9 Performance)

http://www.silvermace.com/ -- My personal website
Ok, thanks all for your comments. I'm using the Win32 API and OpenGL since 2 years. Work fine. Building my engines on than. But I was just wondered about witch is better, but I read in a book that glut (that I have never used) is a little bit inapropriate for a commercial and fullscreen game. But for a little demo for the school glut is perfect. Of course due to the easy way to create windows. ;)
I've been using SDL and OpenGL for ages. I highly recommend it...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement