THE question : opengl or glut

Started by
28 comments, last by Luke Philpot 19 years, 5 months ago
Quote:Original post by ManaStone
Quote:Original post by ImperfectFreak
Use SDL!!!

SDL doesn't even allow you to position the window.

But your making a game. Games are usually fullscreen and if your not playing in full screen then it shouldnt matter because you can move your window. If you are making another type of app then yes you should use something else.

______________________________________________________________________________________
With the flesh of a cow.
Advertisement
do Win32 and openGL, its what most of us use, its faster (by how much i dont know), but its always good to learn how to use Win32 anyways, and the basic windowing code for one window is extremely short and easy (although probably not so for a complete newbie to it, i remember i hadta have a reference with me at all times when i was writing my first window)

you could probably also use SDL, id reccomend SDL over GLUT just because some commercial games have used SDL, at least the linux port of UT used SDL, which is a good sign, and i think newer incarnations have used it to.

anywho, i vote SDL or pure win32

hope that helps
-Dan
When General Patton died after World War 2 he went to the gates of Heaven to talk to St. Peter. The first thing he asked is if there were any Marines in heaven. St. Peter told him no, Marines are too rowdy for heaven. He then asked why Patton wanted to know. Patton told him he was sick of the Marines overshadowing the Army because they did more with less and were all hard-core sons of bitches. St. Peter reassured him there were no Marines so Patton went into Heaven. As he was checking out his new home he rounded a corner and saw someone in Marine Dress Blues. He ran back to St. Peter and yelled "You lied to me! There are Marines in heaven!" St. Peter said "Who him? That's just God. He wishes he were a Marine."
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Quote:Original post by ManaStone
Quote:Original post by ImperfectFreak
Use SDL!!!

SDL doesn't even allow you to position the window.

But your making a game. Games are usually fullscreen and if your not playing in full screen then it shouldnt matter because you can move your window. If you are making another type of app then yes you should use something else.

______________________________________________________________________________________
With the flesh of a cow.

if it is a simple 2d shareware game you might want to use a window.
-----------------------------Download my real time 3D RPG.
none of them are faster than the others (doesnt even come close to factoring in the equation)
also
in sdl u can position the window with SDL_VIDEO_WINDOW_POS=X,Y
I'd rather eat my own vomit than use Win32. [smile]
I tend to agree with kuladus on win32. I would learn ogl with glut then look in to SDL. SDL was used in UT04, so I think it is good enough for comercial games.
DirectX Graphics?
SDL would be a good choice. It is so simple a chimp could use it :)
The documentaion for SDL is also excellent. Other than that win32 and GLUT just plain blow.
Whether you choose Win32 or SDL if go to the NeHe web page, you can find a ready-to-go template program to set up either environment.
Just use SDL. If you write Windows specific code, you are defeating the purpose of using OpenGL.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement