What made Tetris special?

Started by
31 comments, last by Deeelted 19 years, 3 months ago
Ive been playing alot of my glassic games lately, trying to figure out the details of why they're better than other games. While playing Tetris,I couldnt really put my finger on it. Why has tetris been a staple in the puzzle genre so long, and why arent other puzzle games anywhere near as popular? Does anyone have any ideas? Im thinking theres some psychological link to the way the pieces fit together; we like it because our brains understand it subconciously
Im losing the popularity contest. $rating --;
Advertisement
You've probably hit the nail on the head by saying our brains subconciously understand it. It can be played instantly without 'learning',has strong shapes and colours that we recognise from a young age and it's addictive!.
The game is easily understood, even by idiots. However, I got bored of it in about a week.
definitely the simplicity of the game was the selling factor.

i mean imagine a fighting where all the special moves and regular moves were accessible with one button push and combos were executed with two button pushes. simplicity is where it's at my friend [smile]

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

In most popular games, there are the action packed scenes that require the player to use all of his/her skill. Then there arte the other scenes where the player gets to relax. This happens in tetris without any extra programming. When the player makes a mistake and the blocks build up, the player is forced to be skillfull or s/he will loose. Once the player clears most of the lines, the player gets a break. I think its this blend of ease and diffaculty that makes it a good game.
"Are you threatening me, Master Jedi?" - Chancellor Palpatine
I guess all i can say is that i hated tetris, lol!
Quote:Original post by chaosgame
In most popular games, there are the action packed scenes that require the player to use all of his/her skill. Then there arte the other scenes where the player gets to relax. This happens in tetris without any extra programming. When the player makes a mistake and the blocks build up, the player is forced to be skillfull or s/he will loose. Once the player clears most of the lines, the player gets a break. I think its this blend of ease and diffaculty that makes it a good game.

You're right! I've never thought of that, but it makes alot of sense.

Thats another thing about tetris that confused me. I liked it alot, but its really repedative (at least on the surface). 99% of repedative games I play, I never play again.

I wonder what other similiarities to action games Tetris has.
Im losing the popularity contest. $rating --;
True, you keep doing the same thing over and over again; fit the pieces together to make a line. But the order that the pieces fall in are random, so despite the same old rules, you still have to deal with the unexpected. And, to me, that's where the challenge lies.
Uh... Nintendo GameBoy™.

The Nintendo GameBoy was cheap, portable, long-lasting, and came with Tetris. Between them, they made each other pop culture phenomena. The rest, as they say, is history.
Tetris is the purest abstraction of a game. It's all gameplay. The idea of tetris does not depend on the hardware, software. 2D, 3D, it's still the same game. It also has no correlation to the real world; ie. pong = tennis. I think that's why it's regarded as such a masterpiece.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement